Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Driving from VA to CO

Many states have free paper maps at rest stops on the interstates. Once in a while a paper map can be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    There are still some places in the country where cell service is non-existent.
    If you're going to travel the country a lot, you cannot beat Verizon for coverage. I've never been on an interstate with zero coverage and almost never on a US highway. You still get some spots where voice service jumps towers and might cut in and out for a couple miles, but if you've got enough data you can even stream movies anywhere it is red:

Name:  Screenshot_2019-07-13-03-14-06-1.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  70.6 KB
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 07-13-2019 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    We’re moving out to CO in about a month so I figured I’d see if anyone has tips/advice, good things to keep in the car, etc. This is the first time driving more than 2.5 hours with the whole family (wife, seven month old, and two fluffy dogs that weigh a combined 190lbs) so it will be interesting. ...
    My wife and I did extended travel for three years across the US and Canada with a dog in an RV...I put 50,000+ miles on my Ram 2500 towing an Airstream Travel Trailer. So I can't help much on the hotel side.

On the road however, in no particular order...

1) An RCS Perun worn AOWB worked well for me using a Glock 26. The Perun is light, and retentive. Wearing it AOWB meant it could slide around on the belt, between more 3pm driving the truck, or Appendix when visiting rest stops.

2) Another option is a small revolver, J frame or LCR, pocket carry. I carry my LCR in a Desantis Nemesis.

3) Second Verizon for cell coverage. We had AT&T, and specifically went to Verizon after having issues out west in particular. It worked well for us.

4) Second a small GPS. We did experience areas with no cell coverage/maps. Having the GPS dash mounted was a good backup.

5) For the pooch, water, obviously, water dish (we used a foldable one). Also, those inexpensive zip up freezer bags they sell at the grocery store make good things to place dog throw-up mess (ask me how I know) until you can get to a trash container at the next rest stop.

6) A small tire pressure inflator and extention cord can give you options if you pick up a nail and small leak, if you have room.

7) We tried to limit daily mileage to 300 miles or 3pm, whichever came first. Obviously our pace was pretty leisurely.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-13-2019 at 06:02 AM.

I'll second the separate GPS. Several inexpensive Garmin units are available (and Garmin publishes downloadable updates), and they work when you can't get a cell signal. Also, the paper maps; I've always enjoyed highlighting the planned route on paper (but then I'm an antique myself).

I'd highly recommend some audio books. Pick whatever you like: the latest bestsellers, history, etc. Whether driving with your spouse or alone, the audio books can keep you entertained (particularly when driving through/past those 500-mile-long cornfields).

I have verizon and find the coverage claims to be a bit optimistic. Ive had really poor to zero signal regularly when travelling. Keep in mind, whoever your carrier is, if you dial a 911 call, even if your carrier doesnt have service where you are, once the phone cant connect on the primary carrier, it will then search for any available signal, even if not your carriers tower.

An old phone that functions can be a useful backup if you lose your phone, it will at least function for 911 calls, even with no active service on that phone.

User Tag List