Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The SIMP principle

I like it when experts reinforce what I was already doing

For probably the last ten years or so I have made a pretty big effort to meet my buddies every Sunday I can. And I used to shoot a bunch of guns, then I found myself more and more shooting the same thing (M&P), then came to a conclusion that I could buy more of them if I didn't have all the other striker guns (and gear) so I truncated. But I also like the 1911 and took it out one day and remembered why, then I stuck with them for probably 18-24mo, and I started shooting better than I used to and thought that might be because I was shooting the same thing every week...

After a while I started to wonder if I could shoot the M&P as well, wondering if it was skill or I was getting good by shooting a 42oz 9mm 1911 crutch, so I have shifted back to the M&P for a while, and when I say "a while", I mean at least another 18-24mo.

The next thing I plan to do is also be more diligent about taking one of the J-Frames and at least getting ~20 rounds or so in every week. I figure I can sprinkle them in without going Full SIMP.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 07-12-2019 at 07:00 AM.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    This is why I keep things to these -Px4CC for carry and idpa; beretta 92 for uspsa, steel, and home defense. That’s it; I have backup copies but they’re as close to identical as possible.

Site Supporter
    Usually, when I go to the range, it's with my PX4 or P99C to practice. But because I enjoy shooting, I sometimes bring something else in addition, very often something round.

Name:  OMSBH.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  41.5 KB

All work and no play makes Chuck a dull boy.

I love taking a bunch of wheelguns to thee range for funsies. I just got a Smith N-frame 45 ACP wheelgun for exactly that purpose.

Having said that, there are times for work and times for play. Work sessions always include THE carry gun, and always finish with five aimed headshots from the pocket with a J-frame, weak-hand only. That's my usual conversational position, and therefore likely to be in an engagement.

I think there is also an phenomenon caused by too much practice with the same gun where bad habits begin to develop or at least you risk going into a rut. I typically run 250 rounds through a handgun every Sunday afternoon. Whatever gun I am shooting that week tends to be whatever strikes my fancy. I prefer DA/SA because I find that Glocks and 1911s aren’t as useful in maintaining proper trigger technique. If I shoot Glocks (or p10s or M&p or whatever Glock copy I have) or 1911s for 3-4 weeks in a row I force myself to shoot my jframes or beretta to break up my rhythm. I usually find that if I am in a rut in terms of split or draw times this helps snap me out of it.

I enjoy shooting different firearms but no matter what, I always take and conduct real practice with my chosen defensive pistol (which hasn't changed in about 10 years). Whether that puts me in the SIMP category or somewhere in between, I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Redhat; 07-13-2019 at 12:12 PM.

User Tag List