Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The SIMP principle

The SIMP principle

A reminder and always good for discussion.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/70
    #RESIST

Reminds me of the old adage, "Beware of a man who owns only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."
    Real guns have hammers.

SIMP is a fairly solid rule of thumb- I've seen that in my own shooting.

And like most guidelines, there's exceptions to a good rule of thumb, but one really should be knowledgeable, skilled, and experienced to do something different.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I am sort of a SIMP. I tend to focus on one pistol for a series of range sessions and then move to another pistol. For example, my Glock shooting has been suffering because I have been pushing the second shot of a quick string slow. I went to a .22 conversion kit on a G17 frame and have been working on solving that issue. Then I go back to the 9x19 G17 and see if my issue is resolved. I have gone back and forth a few times in a single range session. I have probably gone through a thousand rounds of .22 LR and a bit less than 100 rounds of 9x19 working on this.

Then I just need a break from training and need some fun. That is when I will break out a Ruger Standard and shoot for the pure joy of just hitting the target.

In principle, I agree with this, but I think there can be benefits to mixing it up every once and a while. I shoot Glocks almost exclusively but I bought a Beretta 92 on a whim a few years ago because I always liked them and I found that learning the da/sa trigger and getting a lot of reps in with it seemed to make me a better shooter with my Glocks as well. Something about the heavier and different trigger manipulations that made me pay attention a bit more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    In principle, I agree with this, but I think there can be benefits to mixing it up every once and a while. I shoot Glocks almost exclusively but I bought a Beretta 92 on a whim a few years ago because I always liked them and I found that learning the da/sa trigger and getting a lot of reps in with it seemed to make me a better shooter with my Glocks as well. Something about the heavier and different trigger manipulations that made me pay attention a bit more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Changing it up can be good so long as when you’re changing it up you’re sticking to that new system exclusively for a while. In the past year or so going from Glock to CZ to Beretta back to Glock again has definitely taught me some things and I feel like a more well rounded shooter for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My first reaction, before reading the article, was "great, another article suggesting anyone who owns more than one handgun isn't really serious about shooting". However, having now read that article, I not only see the point, I agree with it. While I own a number of guns, I try to only take 1-2 with me to the range in order to focus on the fundamentals of that gun. I won't just take one gun though because sometimes a gun fails and you're left with nothing to shoot and lost range fees (learned this lesson the hard way years ago). But, unless the trip is just a recreational "let's make some noise" type of trip, it'll be 1, maybe 2 handguns and maybe 1 rifle or carbine.

Chris

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    A reminder and always good for discussion.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/70
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    You don’t want none of this shit
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 07-11-2019 at 08:20 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

This article was one of the most impactful things I read when I joined here in 2014.

Probably why I currently only have a Glock 19 and an LCR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIMP makes perfect sense to me.

I qualify, (LEOSA), and carry essentially the same firearms I have been carrying for decades...a couple of (older) Glocks, and a J-frame.

The J for around home and walking distance...one of the Glocks anytime I leave home for town or beyond.

I never concern myself with the new hotness and remain loyal to my decades old choices. (And have sufficient training and carry ammo to see me through.)

Not for everyone, clearly, but it works for me.

(If only I could pare my knife collection to seven total pieces...which includes my two long guns. Three Glocks, two revolvers, shotgun, AR.)
    Last edited by blues; 07-11-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List