Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The SIMP principle

I remember that article and it always sprang to mind when I lived in Columbus and visited the local indoor range there where the guys from Ft Benning would come to take their lady friends shooting. Guy usually had several guns since he was introducing the girl to firearms and usually couldn’t produce anything that looked like a group.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

This isn't a SIMP story, but one that has relevance I think.

A little over ten years ago I had a handgun transfer from out-of-state dad to his son. Dad was just on the brink of 70 years old IIRC. Anyway, the gun being transferred was his S&W Model 10 HB. It was used hard, finish wear, nice turn ring, heavy high edge wear, wooden service grips worn down, all that jazz. The recoil shield showed MANY rounds fired but the Smith was clean and oiled. The old guy had an air about him, well spoken and insightful. Long story short, he had owned the Model 10 since the early 60's. Shot the hell out of it. Sent it back to Smith in the late 80's for a refinish and had the taper barrel swapped out for a heavy barrel and rebuilt as needed and told me that it was about time for a rebuild again. He was retired LEO and a pleasure to talk with. He was keeping his Chief's Special, and from my memory he stated something to the effect that he didn't shoot like he used to and the Model 10 was too heavy for him now to carry around.

Even that guy couldn't break it down to only one gun, but at least it was the same type and caliber.

Hammertime
    I try to stick to one gun per range session and/or 2000 rounds.

Sometimes I take two or more when I want to compare specific aspects of them.

Not going to lie though, I enjoy shooting a variety of guns.

I have noticed that now that I have put in a decent amount of time with a wide variety of guns, my curiosity is getting satisfied and I am heading back toward simplicity.

I don’t think it matters much what gun you end up shooting so long as it’s reliable. DA, TDA, LEM, SFA, SA; they all can be handled and shot just fine by anyone willing to do work.

I tend to stick with a gun for 2 years or so. Just spent 2 1/2 years with the USP9c, and now started carrying the P30v1 again. The other day I did put 10 rounds through a piece of nostalgia, along with 200 rounds through the P30. So that works out to 5%, which is pretty typical. I get that shooting is fun, and guns are meant to be enjoyed. Most of my fun and enjoyment happens to come from measured improvement. A challenge I find, is the subjective evaluation of different guns and balancing the compromises between them.
    Taking a break from social media.

Does this mean I need to sell off some of my carry rotation?

Good reminder, LL
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    I bought a Beretta 92 on a whim a few years ago because I always liked them and I found that learning the da/sa trigger and getting a lot of reps in with it seemed to make me a better shooter with my Glocks as well.
    I recall a Practical Pistol Show with Ben and Gabe, talking about whether Alex Gutt switching to a Tanfo is what made his scores improve, or the 30,000 rounds he shot since switching to the Tanfo was what made him improve.

So was it the different gun/action, or that you practiced more.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I recall a Practical Pistol Show with Ben and Gabe, talking about whether Alex Gutt switching to a Tanfo is what made his scores improve, or the 30,000 rounds he shot since switching to the Tanfo was what made him improve.

So was it the different gun/action, or that you practiced more.
    For me at least, I think it was more related to (re)learning something different as opposed to an increased training routine. I spent more time focused on mastering the trigger though, so in that respect, while there wasn't an increase in training, there was an increased focus on a particular area. I think temporarily shooting berettas is what got me to do that though.

It's a damn shame @SLG isn't around PF anymore. His insights were truly valuable.

I've had different carry guns over the years, mostly striker with some DA/SA and LEM thrown in but I've always stuck to one system at a time. I'm back to Glocks for good because they check the right boxes for me.

My nephew has a police trade in Glock 22, a RIA 1911, and a Sig P226. He brings all 3 to the range and he can't shoot any of them worth a shit, nor has he shown any signs of improvement in the short time he's been shooting with me. I sent him a link to that article with no explanation but haven't heard back yet.

I remember this article well. I have been trying to do better. I am thankful for the reminder. I am trying to narrow down to a j frame (maybe two an airweight and a steel) and A 9mm Glock. I am guilty of carrying multiple guns to the range and failing to focus on improvement and simply shooting.

User Tag List