Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Security guard pulls gun on Lucas County Sheriff's deputy

The cop was WRONG

In this situation, since the officer had no official business in the IRS building, his response should have been 'Ok I will leave." The Guard was the authority, right or wrong about the officer being allowed to carry his weapon inside. From the guards perspective a person was trying to enter with a weapon. He gave the officer the suggestion to put it in his cruiser. He could not do that while on duty. He said "I can't do that." then walked away. He said he was trying to de-escalate the situation by was leaving but did not say that to the security guard. So from the Guard's perspective he had rejected his suggestion to take the weapon to the car and had refused to dis-arm, then walked towards the elevator apparently tying to enter the building. Given those circumstances, and his belief that no on had the authority take a weapon into the building, his reaction was not as drastic as it first appears.

The officer said "I would say ‘Clearly your training is lacking and the fact that you went 0 to 100. Lethal force is unacceptable," said Gaston. Well, officer Gaston, how does it feel to be on the other end of the barrel? Cops are trained and expected to go from 1-100 and use lethal force. They are expected to "go in hard, and fast." They are trained to "take charge" and "secure the situation" to control the situation, preserve the scene, and provide for THEIR SAFETY and the publics. See how a cop going from 1-100 in three seconds worked out for Philando Castile.

Quote Originally Posted by textorpmt View Post
    In this situation, since the officer had no official business in the IRS building, his response should have been 'Ok I will leave." The Guard was the authority, right or wrong about the officer being allowed to carry his weapon inside. From the guards perspective a person was trying to enter with a weapon. He gave the officer the suggestion to put it in his cruiser. He could not do that while on duty. He said "I can't do that." then walked away. He said he was trying to de-escalate the situation by was leaving but did not say that to the security guard. So from the Guard's perspective he had rejected his suggestion to take the weapon to the car and had refused to dis-arm, then walked towards the elevator apparently tying to enter the building. Given those circumstances, and his belief that no on had the authority take a weapon into the building, his reaction was not as drastic as it first appears.

The officer said "I would say ‘Clearly your training is lacking and the fact that you went 0 to 100. Lethal force is unacceptable," said Gaston. Well, officer Gaston, how does it feel to be on the other end of the barrel? Cops are trained and expected to go from 1-100 and use lethal force. They are expected to "go in hard, and fast." They are trained to "take charge" and "secure the situation" to control the situation, preserve the scene, and provide for THEIR SAFETY and the publics. See how a cop going from 1-100 in three seconds worked out for Philando Castile.
    Please kindly limit troll posting to forums that are NOT Pistol Forum. Thank you.

In this situation, since the officer had no official business in the IRS building, his response should have been 'Ok I will leave."
    I did not see anything where the officer didn't do that.

Site Supporter
    If security guards as a group have poor training and suspect judgment, then it follows that some should not be armed.

Site Supporter
    Philando Castile persisted in reaching for...something...when ordered not to do so by an officer. Both Me. Castile and the officer knew he had a concealed weapon on his person. I suspect Mr. Castile's chronic use of marijuana probably led to his bad judgement and that he may have intended to hand the officer his pistol or his permit. Despite the sadness of the video tape, it seems objectively reasonable that Mr. Castile posed a lethal threat to the officer.

While it is correct that off duty law enforcement are prohibited from entry to the IRS offices, is it objectively reasonable for the security guard to believe that a uniformed deputy seeking information poses a lethal threat to anyone? While both rogue officers and police impersonators occasionally use police uniforms to commit crimes, did the guard observe any behavior that suggested this was the case? He certainly did not posit a concern about either a rogue cop or a police impersonator in his call to the city police.While "Den of Thieves" was an OK action flick, I doubt the sequel will take place at an IRS office.

Perhaps the guard might have been better off staying holstered and calling in his concern to his chain of command, the city police, or the sheriff's office.

I don't think he was even off duty. Just wasn't there on a dispatched call for service and trying to get some info. On or off duty I'm betting he can take enforcement action and the building is in his jurisdiction. I'm more than a little confused how that's not covered under the other lawful purposes clause.

Jason

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    If security guards as a group have poor training and suspect judgment, then it follows that some should not be armed.
    With all due respect to my security guard colleges it is my opinion that MOST of them should not be armed.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Given those circumstances, and his belief that no on had the authority take a weapon into the building, his reaction was not as drastic as it first appears.
    The prosecutor disagrees.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one. Differing opinions are fine, although I think your grasp of the basic facts is tenuous at best. If, however, you're simply here to troll or snipe you won't be here long.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Well, officer Gaston, how does it feel to be on the other end of the barrel? Cops are trained and expected to go from 1-100 and use lethal force. They are expected to "go in hard, and fast." They are trained to "take charge" and "secure the situation" to control the situation, preserve the scene, and provide for THEIR SAFETY and the publics. See how a cop going from 1-100 in three seconds worked out for Philando Castile.

Name:  trolling.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  5.3 KB
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter

Question

Confused, I reread the thread three times. Whether or not the cop violated a rule has zero to with Mr. Castile or any other event occurring outside the presence of the two men.

User Tag List