Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Security guard pulls gun on Lucas County Sheriff's deputy

Site Supporter

Security guard pulls gun on Lucas County Sheriff's deputy

https://www.13abc.com/content/news/S...512552471.html

Security guard pulls gun on Lucas County Sheriff's deputy

TOLEDO, Ohio (WTVG) - Scary moments caught on tape. A Lucas County Sheriff's deputy in uniform has a gun pulled on him by a security guard.

Now that security guard is facing criminal charges as the deputy wraps his head around almost being killed in what should have been a very basic situation.

That deputy came here to 4 Seagate to ask a question at the IRS office. A step that nearly cost him his life.

As Lucas County Sheriff's deputy Alan Gaston enters the IRS office, he's in full uniform with his badge with his firearm visible.

He was on duty May 31st but says he stopped at the office for a phone number to ask about a letter he got from the IRS. Deputy Gaston says the guard told him he needed to put his gun in his car. Gaston said he couldn't do that. The conversation ends with a gun pointed at the deputy's back. Gaston vividly remembers "that" moment.

The whole thing caught on security cameras, as the guard follows deputy Gaston to the elevator with the gun out and it appear his finger very close to the trigger. The guard then tries to take Gaston into custody, once again with the gun drawn.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-11-2019 at 01:18 AM.

Pretty much what I expect from the IRS.

Reasons why open carry is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_[ View Post
    Yo, it was a uniformed deputy.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_[ View Post
    Please expand upon your thoughts.

Initially, it would appear you believe uniformed LE 'open carrying' is stupid.
    Last edited by FNFAN; 07-11-2019 at 06:00 AM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Ok, so it was half tongue in cheek and more of a point to my local crowd. I live near there in Michigan and actually work in Toledo. In Michigan we have, it seems, the biggest group of open carry proponents who believe there are no negative consequences for open carry while here we have a uniformed police officer in a bad situation with him being correct in the eyes of the law.

I will be interested to know what circumstances the security guard thought justified his actions. The deputy would seem to have shown a LOT of restraint; at least, I would assume that having a gun pulled on you by a security guard who presumably had no legitimate reason to do so = justification for lethal force.

That was handled just right, but I can't take the officer's medical leave and lawsuit seriously.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Pretty much what I expect from the IRS.
    Nope. I suspect it was an employee of a security company contracted by the Federal Protective Service.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Serious question: Is a uniformed deputy allowed to carry a weapon in IRS offices while there for personal reasons? I know that law enforcement officers typically have to disarm in federal courtroom buildings -- and that is on duty.

I know the security guard handled the situation poorly (understatement) but was he correct in his interpretation of the law/regulation that no one except authorized personnel is allowed to be armed in the facility? Is there a clause that allows state and local LE to carry in IRS facilities, especially as the LE was there in a capacity as taxpayer (not on official LE business)?
    Last edited by farscott; 07-11-2019 at 06:57 AM.

User Tag List