Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Riddle of Steel (Challenge)

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Read up on JJ’s bump transition method, or better yet take his class.
    Researching now! Any dry fire transition drills you do as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    When I looked on his site, all the class dates were for 2018. Got a link for us?
    I reached out to him via Instagram/email but that didn’t work out earlier this year (late response and I booked another class), the website that does work is:

https://www.regonline.com/builder/si...ventID=2567071

But I haven’t fooled with it to navigate different courses, if it’s possible...
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Out of curiosity, would there be any drawback to shooting both a rimfire and a centerfire pistol?

I just did an outlaw steel match at a local club and had an absolute ball. The strategy of USPSA is fun, but steel matches are a different sort of fun and I kinda like the high focus on transitions, so I figured a rimfire and centerfire pistol set up as to be similar (m&p 22 and a M&P9, 22/45 and a 1911) would be good for transition practice.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Out of curiosity, would there be any drawback to shooting both a rimfire and a centerfire pistol?

I just did an outlaw steel match at a local club and had an absolute ball. The strategy of USPSA is fun, but steel matches are a different sort of fun and I kinda like the high focus on transitions, so I figured a rimfire and centerfire pistol set up as to be similar (m&p 22 and a M&P9, 22/45 and a 1911) would be good for transition practice.

I've seen people do that. I don't imagine its an issue (just not at the same time John Wick style...)

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    No taping or resetting is really nice.

Also, it is great to bring out any gun you want to get better with. Your really have to hold the sights properly and have a good trigger press. You just can't blast away as you do on some paper targets. (Except for smoke and hope. )

Being able to call your shots without waiting for the steel to ring is another important skill you can acquire.
    I have to say I am seriously starting to think about getting back to SC instead of USPSA once things get a bit more bearable weather wise here in FL (it was 97 today in Tampa with a heat index of 107 I think it was.)

My local club does SC and I've done a match three or more years ago - I remember it being hugely fun and I am not sure why I haven't done more.

I have a very few USPSA matches, honestly, so not nearly the length of time that many of you have. Mostly due to travel and work comittments. And not to bag on USPSA but the few matches I've done this year have been remarkable at how little actual shooting there is, relative to the time spent on the day. Most of the time is standing around waiting, then resetting and taping for your squad. Then more waiting. All for maybe four or five stages and a classifier.

SC I liked for the same reasons above - you get RIGHT NOW feedback as you hear that "ping!" with a hit. No taping, and you get multiple runs. Sure it's stand and blast but seriously - it was a lot of fun.

I will definitely give it a try again soon.

One thing I like about steel is the instant feedback. When I pop a C right off the draw in practical, I just keep rocking on and hope I'm fast enough on all the other targets. Pop a clean miss (which might be a C on an practical target) in steel and you're often done for that round if you're competitive. Steel forces me to draw and get my crap together right F'n now...

Site Supporter
    I'd say steel challenge matches are probably an ideal way to introduce new shooters to competition. There's a division for just about everything, the rimfire divisions are cheap to shoot and look fun as hell, and there's not as much movement and therefore less risk or 180 violations so and the RO can closely watch safety.

This breakdown of divisions and classifications for Steel Challenge just got posted on Enos.

Name:  B470454B-57F9-48CE-B3C8-2E0279644C96.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  88.3 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I shot SC once a few months ago; much fun! It’s like drag racing, but with guns instead of cars. There is waiting in any shooting sport, some more than others, but overall, it was a great time.

I shot SC for 2 years and then we moved and I haven't found a local club doing it. I enjoyed it but two things I don't like; 1- if you miss it's hard to know was I high, low, left right? 2- It's also hard to know if you missed. When I asked here the consensus was that you can't wait to hear it or see if it shakes a little because that would make you way too slow. I like the IDPA targets because a miss is still counted (although a second is added to your score) and I can see how I missed. OTOH, if I find a match I will shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I have to say I am seriously starting to think about getting back to SC instead of USPSA once things get a bit more bearable weather wise here in FL (it was 97 today in Tampa with a heat index of 107 I think it was.)

My local club does SC and I've done a match three or more years ago - I remember it being hugely fun and I am not sure why I haven't done more.

I have a very few USPSA matches, honestly, so not nearly the length of time that many of you have. Mostly due to travel and work comittments. And not to bag on USPSA but the few matches I've done this year have been remarkable at how little actual shooting there is, relative to the time spent on the day. Most of the time is standing around waiting, then resetting and taping for your squad. Then more waiting. All for maybe four or five stages and a classifier.

SC I liked for the same reasons above - you get RIGHT NOW feedback as you hear that "ping!" with a hit. No taping, and you get multiple runs. Sure it's stand and blast but seriously - it was a lot of fun.

I will definitely give it a try again soon.
    Thanks for the reminder. Will go look for the SC schedule at my local range since it is getting slightly less like Hell here in Tampa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List