Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Riddle of Steel (Challenge)

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Yes
    Awesome! Do you feel like shooting PCC helps with CO and vice versa? Any dry fire tips you’d like to share that you felt helped along the way?

I recently did attempt something Eric G. mentioned in a podcast - switching up how you shoot. While he was referring to drills I applied it to the stages as my drills, so I changed how I engaged the targets each time. So FTG I did far to near and then near to far, etc. and for S&H I did the left two first and then the right two first and I found it extremely helpful in keeping aware of what mistakes I was making and what I was doing well. Times didn’t change too much from the A-M range either.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    Awesome! Do you feel like shooting PCC helps with CO and vice versa? Any dry fire tips you’d like to share that you felt helped along the way?

I recently did attempt something Eric G. mentioned in a podcast - switching up how you shoot. While he was referring to drills I applied it to the stages as my drills, so I changed how I engaged the targets each time. So FTG I did far to near and then near to far, etc. and for S&H I did the left two first and then the right two first and I found it extremely helpful in keeping aware of what mistakes I was making and what I was doing well. Times didn’t change too much from the A-M range either.
    My experience is that shooting a pistol translates to carbine skills, but not vice versa, as I am continuously reminded when watching PCC shooters in USPSA try to start shooting a pistol again after an extended period with a PCC.

Shooting a PCC at Steel Challenge as a second gun is an easy way for me to refam the carbine.

I have done almost no dedicated Steel Challenge practice, meaning setting up stages and drilling them. I practice fundamentals like the draw and transitions, and assume it will translate into Steel Challenge results. That is probably a poor way to roll if you are super into Steel Challenge, but I am using Steel Challenge as a skills builder rather than my primary shooting game.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My experience is that shooting a pistol translates to carbine skills, but not vice versa, as I am continuously reminded when watching PCC shooters in USPSA try to start shooting a pistol again after an extended period with a PCC.

Shooting a PCC at Steel Challenge as a second gun is an easy way for me to refam the carbine.

I have done almost no dedicated Steel Challenge practice, meaning setting up stages and drilling them. I practice fundamentals like the draw and transitions, and assume it will translate into Steel Challenge results. That is probably a poor way to roll if you are super into Steel Challenge, but I am using Steel Challenge as a skills builder rather than my primary shooting game.
    Same, and mostly just for fun.

I like steel challenge simply for the fact that I don't have to really run anywhere. While I'm losing serious weight, I still don't enjoy running through practical shooting stages. I like the simplicity of shooting a series of targets as fast as you can with instantaneous feedback to be very rewarding.

Site Supporter
    I shoot it for fun, PCC and CO. It is great training for acquiring a proper sight picture and having a good trigger press. You quickly find out when you try to go too quick for your ability. But its good to find that point.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Big Fan

I really enjoy Steel Challenge. It's popular enough here that my club runs two matches per month. They shoot all 8 official stages, and usually wrap it up sometime between 1230 and, on a very slow day, 1400.

I like the ability to shoot a lot without taping, while getting instantaneous feedback from the steel.

I usually shoot my carry gun, a P2000 LEM. There's usually a couple of other guys shooting defensive pistols, and then a ton of folks shooting rimfires and PCC.

It doesn't get boring or repetitive to me. Maybe because I'm always trying to figure how to get faster. As a B/C shooter, I have plenty of room for improvement.

Mike Seeklander did a nice podcast with Max Michel that gets into the weeds of how Max's strategy.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000420703002

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    ...I like the ability to shoot a lot without taping, while getting instantaneous feedback from the steel.

... There's usually a couple of other guys shooting defensive pistols, and then a ton of folks shooting rimfires and PCC...
    No taping or resetting is really nice.

Also, it is great to bring out any gun you want to get better with. Your really have to hold the sights properly and have a good trigger press. You just can't blast away as you do on some paper targets. (Except for smoke and hope. )

Being able to call your shots without waiting for the steel to ring is another important skill you can acquire.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

Mike Seeklander did a nice podcast with Max Michel that gets into the weeds of how Max's strategy.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000420703002
    Awesome!! I actually had that link saved for when I had time - I listened to it and it had some great information - I was trying to distill action shooting down a bit more, and I think I’ve settled on the big three that I want to focus on for the next few months 1.Trigger Control, 2. Transitions, and 3. Movement (USPSA and some Outlaw matches).

I have the white wall drill, and the beep drill for trigger control, also the Vogel trigger drill.

What are y’all doing for transitions? Hopkins drill?
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    Awesome!! I actually had that link saved for when I had time - I listened to it and it had some great information - I was trying to distill action shooting down a bit more, and I think I’ve settled on the big three that I want to focus on for the next few months 1.Trigger Control, 2. Transitions, and 3. Movement (USPSA and some Outlaw matches).

I have the white wall drill, and the beep drill for trigger control, also the Vogel trigger drill.

What are y’all doing for transitions? Hopkins drill?
    Read up on JJ’s bump transition method, or better yet take his class.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Read up on JJ’s bump transition method, or better yet take his class.
    When I looked on his site, all the class dates were for 2018. Got a link for us?

User Tag List