Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Springfield operator LE trade ins

Site Supporter
    Sure I spend all morning on PF, then go out and mow the lawn between downpours, Come back in and look what I missed.... Oh well just got a WC Colt and 2 LCR's, and my wife's understanding only goes so far..... Probably better that I missed it....
    Last edited by MDFA; 07-11-2019 at 10:55 AM.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    My Dept would not let me buy my issued Colt 1911 rail gun when I retired. That’s what happens when you tell the chief to go fuck himself when he was still a Lt. He always had thin skin. I would have jumped on those springfields.
    Last edited by Poconnor; 07-11-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    How much time and/or money is going to be required to deal with any issues that may be present in a “good” or “fair” condition trade-in?
    It would depend on the specific condition of a particular pistol. They might have been labeled "fair/good/excellent" based on cosmetic appearance alone, and in that case the condition wouldn't make much difference other than looks.

If I were to buy one of those, regardless of the listed condition I would replace the springs and do a complete function check to determine what if anything else needs to be replaced. Most of the components in a steel 1911 will last a long time. A complete set of springs would be not much money. If the gun truly needed to be refinished then you would be talking hundreds. The buyer would need to decide how important the condition of the finish is and how much the wear and tear bothers him or her. New stocks/grip panels would be another decision with varying levels of expense if the originals must be replaced.

If the gun has functional problems then it will depend on the buyer's ability to diagnose and fix the problems, and possibly require a trip to a competent gunsmith. That can start to get expensive pretty quickly, but a basic reliability package might only cost a couple to a few hundred bucks. There's a good chance those guns run fine and just need some regular maintenance/spring replacement.

Site Supporter
    I would replace the sights with .140 notch 10-8 sights, new springs, machine checker the front strap 25 LPI or golf balls , tune up.

Site Supporter
    Man if I had seen this thread while they were in stock my hand would have broken the sound barrier reaching for my wallet

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Boston SWAT replaced their Sig 1911s. They were told they could purchase their old guns for $600. Two years later the guns were melted down, the lawyers didn't want the guns going out to the street.

Added this sight to my Springfield Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I would replace the sights with .140 notch 10-8 sights, new springs, machine checker the front strap 25 LPI or golf balls , tune up.
    For me, my Springfield Loaded .45 acp shot a bit low. I got this sight in the .375 height. It helped raise my POI to my satisfaction. Quality part. Just a satisfied customer passing on my experience with this sight.

http://www.10-8performance.com/1911-...nt-rear-sight/
    Last edited by JAH 3rd; 07-12-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    Boston SWAT replaced their Sig 1911s. They were told they could purchase their old guns for $600. Two years later the guns were melted down, the lawyers didn't want the guns going out to the street.
    Sigh...
    #RESIST

I used up my gun karma on snagging a Kimber Warrior & 2011 Colt Delta Elite for $1,400 between them.

In the same month.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Well they were Sig 1911s so no great loss

User Tag List