Thread: Brain switches to non-dominant eye using night sights?

Brain switches to non-dominant eye using night sights?

100K+ rounds, countless draws practicing (for Steel Challenge) and I naturally align with my right (dominant) eye. The other day I took out my carry gun, turn the lights out in my loading room and found that when I press out I still align naturally with might right eye, but I'm seeing the sights with my left eye. Anyone else experience anything like this? I'll have to explore more, but if this persists I'll have to close my left eye in low light conditions. This experiment was with my P30SK. I'll try the same thing tonight with my P2000 which has Trijicon XD sights versus convention Trijicons.

My visual acuity is fine (lens replaced in right eye), but I don't have true binocular vision (strabismis/exotropia corrected at age 10). Don't know if this relates. One effect I've noticed: in making very quick target transitions I acquire the second target faster going left-to-right.

Not exactly what you're looking for but:

Infrequently at public ranges with another shooter in the lane to my right (dominant side), I struggle with focusing on my target if his similar target happens to align closely with the line from my left (weak) eye through my front sight. I think the problem is my dominant eye is not dominant enough, which you might be experiencing under different conditions.

When this happens I go "squinted weak eye" or even target focus with irons. My aging eyes probably need new glasses honestly.

User Tag List