Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 ga defensive loads

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For years, a combat shotgun in the form of the Remington 870 or 11-87 was very heavy. The Benelli predecessors to the M2 were around, but they seemed to function on pain, despite the manufacturer’s inertial description, making them also unattractive to smaller shooters. The 20 gauge alternative was attractive due to weight and handiness, and that came at the cost of poorer choices in buck.

I can still remember the first time I picked up a 1301 and it felt like a feather. Now you have something that weighs like a 20 gauge, but that launches the best buck loads. I feel that the 1301 obsoletes the 20 gauge for buck, although the 20 gauge still has a role as a dedicated Brenneke launcher.
    I've had a number of clients express a desire to borrow a 20 gauge for class because they're worried about the recoil of the 12. I keep a supply of 20 gauge ammo on hand and I have a couple of 20 gauge shotguns and I make them a deal: Show up with 12 gauge ammo and try one of the guns I set you up with first. If you find that it's too much, I'll put you on a 20 and we'll just swap ammo.

I then put them on the 1301 with an Aridus stock adapter setup on it.

So far nobody has wanted to swap to the 20 gauge after getting trigger time on the 1301.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I've had a number of clients express a desire to borrow a 20 gauge for class because they're worried about the recoil of the 12. I keep a supply of 20 gauge ammo on hand and I have a couple of 20 gauge shotguns and I make them a deal: Show up with 12 gauge ammo and try one of the guns I set you up with first. If you find that it's too much, I'll put you on a 20 and we'll just swap ammo.

I then put them on the 1301 with an Aridus stock adapter setup on it.

So far nobody has wanted to swap to the 20 gauge after getting trigger time on the 1301.
    This gives rise to a few questions, that I will put in the main 1301 thread.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I ordered 50 rounds of the Wolf Hill buckshot ammo to run through my 20 gauges and see how she do. I'll report back when I have some data.
    I don't have optimism for a round from people making Dragon's Breath, ball and chain, and flechette rounds.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

20 GA Buckshot

There are a couple of #1 Buck loads that may work. Rio RB209 and Spartan SA2000. Both are 9 pellet loads. I think I got them at SG Ammo.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    There are a couple of #1 Buck loads that may work. Rio RB209 and Spartan SA2000. Both are 9 pellet loads. I think I got them at SG Ammo.
    I bought some of the Rio loads but haven't been able to put my hands on an appropriate test gun.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I don't have optimism for a round from people making Dragon's Breath, ball and chain, and flechette rounds.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    We live outside Atlanta (Canton GA, 47 miles) in a neighborhood of 1+ acre lots. We are surrounded by more rural than suburban and had coyotes active at night. First week in new house a copperhead tried to bite my wife's favorite Daschund so she requested a shotgun. We have been using a Mossberg SA20 (cylinder bore, rifle/ghost ring sights) for backyard defense. It is kept "basement ready" with chamber empty then 1 round of heavy dove load 1 oz #8 then 4 rounds of Spartan #1 buck. Intent is first round is for snakes followed by coyote or other predator load.

Based on this thread I took my wife to my gun club for a short practice session and to collect some data. My wife is an occasional shooter so that was a good chance for a practice session with "her" shotgun plus S&W M&P FS 9mm. My wife is certainly no fan of recoil but she had no issues with the SA20 plus Spartan #1 buck. She shot 5 rounds.

Observations: first I was surprised that at 25 yards I kept 8 of 9 pellets on an IDPA target (one pellet barely cutting edge). After that, I moved up in 5 yard increments. Note that this Mossberg SA20 has been 100% reliable with the Spartan buckshot and "heavy" 20 gauge 8s or 7.5s - it will not cycle reliably promo 20 gauge dove-quail loads.

Name:  Mossberg_SA20.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  39.7 KBName:  Spartan_20G_1buck.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  47.5 KBName:  25yards.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  47.6 KBName:  20yards.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  56.2 KBName:  15yards.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  49.2 KBName:  10yards.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  45.8 KBName:  5yards.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  51.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    We live outside Atlanta (Canton GA, 47 miles) in a neighborhood of 1+ acre lots. We are surrounded by more rural than suburban and had coyotes active at night. First week in new house a copperhead tried to bite my wife's favorite Daschund so she requested a shotgun. We have been using a Mossberg SA20 (cylinder bore, rifle/ghost ring sights) for backyard defense. It is kept "basement ready" with chamber empty then 1 round of heavy dove load 1 oz #8 then 4 rounds of Spartan #1 buck. Intent is first round is for snakes followed by coyote or other predator load.

Based on this thread I took my wife to my gun club for a short practice session and to collect some data. My wife is an occasional shooter so that was a good chance for a practice session with "her" shotgun plus S&W M&P FS 9mm. My wife is certainly no fan of recoil but she had no issues with the SA20 plus Spartan #1 buck. She shot 5 rounds.

Observations: first I was surprised that at 25 yards I kept 8 of 9 pellets on an IDPA target (one pellet barely cutting edge). After that, I moved up in 5 yard increments. Note that this Mossberg SA20 has been 100% reliable with the Spartan buckshot and "heavy" 20 gauge 8s or 7.5s - it will not cycle reliably promo 20 gauge dove-quail loads.
    Is that the "tactical" model?

How tall is your wife, and how is the length of pull on that? Mrs. Drang is 5'1" and a 12" LOP is really pushing it for her...
    Last edited by Drang; 07-14-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

@ranger,

Respectfully and with aspersions, anything outside of the -1 zone is a no go. The max distance you should take shot is the distance that you can guarantee every pellet being a center mass hit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    @ranger,

Respectfully and with aspersions, anything outside of the -1 zone is a no go. The max distance you should take shot is the distance that you can guarantee every pellet being a center mass hit.
    I was not suggesting otherwise - I took the time to give the data on a sample of one 20 gauge shotgun with one 20 gauge #1 buck load. You're welcome.

User Tag List