Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 20 ga defensive loads

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I was not suggesting otherwise - I took the time to give the data on a sample of one 20 gauge shotgun with one 20 gauge #1 buck load. You're welcome.
    That should have been without aspersion. I was trying to make it clear that I was not casting any sort of personal attack in your direction.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Is that the "tactical" model?

How tall is your wife, and how is the length of pull on that? Mrs. Drang is 5'1" and a 12" LOP is really pushing it for her...
    Sorry for slow response. My wife is 5ft 5 inches and the length of pull is 14 1/4 inches. My wife only shoots enough for familiarization - she is not a high volume shooter. That Mossberg SA20 is made in Turkey - there may be youth models with short stocks from Mossberg or Tristar.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Sorry for slow response. My wife is 5ft 5 inches and the length of pull is 14 1/4 inches.
    Definitely get a shorter stock on that thing.
    3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I don't have optimism for a round from people making Dragon's Breath, ball and chain, and flechette rounds.
    Today I got the chance to pattern the Wolf Hill ammo.

It did not go well...

Name:  wolfsucks.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  93.1 KB

First shot went high because it's a shotgun with the bead mounted on the barrel so of course.

Next shot fired most of the pellets you see outside of the goodie box on the target.

The next shot went off like a squib and apparently still hit the target, though I would not bet on those pellets doing any serious damage downrange.

In two 5 round boxes of ammunition I had one shell that was loaded without a wad and two squibs.

Inconsistent patterning, inconsistent loading, and inconsistent ignition makes it a no-go for defensive use.
    3/15/2016

I stand by my negative waves.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List