Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 Years Since Apollo 11 : Should we Go Back?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I’d tell you my joke about black holes, but it’s pretty dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I’d tell you my joke about black holes, but it’s pretty dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's the matter?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Nothing about the space and moon program was done for science. It was done because of the Cold War.

If we go back on a manned basis, at has to be justified on a basis as important. The cost for manned exploration is absolutely staggering, and it won't get cheaper.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 07-10-2019 at 12:07 PM.

We have to go back to build in order to build the ultimate artillery base that can launch moon rocks at Earth for bullying other countries, like in that Heinlein book.
    This Lunar Space Force will satiate the MIC in a way that US taxpayers can be proud of instead of our current, long list of boondoggles.
    Threatening others with being moonrocked will allow The Powers That Be to finally achieve world domination, and without much bloodshed!
    Extraterrestrial Helium-3 will provide unlimited energy, solving so many of the problems humanity expects to face.
    Unlimited energy!!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    And you guys realize that there are two Americans in space right now? Flying over us, in the International Space Station which has been continuously inhabited by humans for 20 years? For 20 years we've had a colony in space, no big deal.
    You mean the ones we pay taxi fare to the Russians for?
    What kind of manned space program is that?

The US space program will not survive the next Left Liberal administration.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    What's the matter?
    Are you trying to pull us into another one of your jokes.

I don’t think we should go back. We’ve been to the moon and it was done with a whole lot less technology than what’s used to develop a Formula1 car. There’s more computing power in my iPhone than all of Apollo.

Going back to the moon is like bragging about hitting a watermelon at 50 yards with an M40A5, because 300 years ago it was a real challenge with a match lock musket.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    The US space program will not survive the next Left Liberal administration.
    What?

The budget for NASA hasn't been over 1% of the annual federal budget since 1993. And during the glory days of Reagan, it decreased annually.

Under Bush 2.0 it decreased every year except his last year in office.

Under Trump there has been a .03% cut to 0.47% of the annual Federal budget, the lowest funding rate for NASA since 1958, NASA's second year in existence.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Going back to the moon is like bragging about hitting a watermelon at 50 yards with an M40A5, because 300 years ago it was a real challenge with a match lock musket.
    What about going...and staying?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    What about going...and staying?
    For what purpose, though?

We went there and got a bunch of rocks and dust. We spent the last 50 years or so analyzing that stuff. And the biggest conclusion from those materials? The moon split off from the Earth and is made up of a mixture of meteorite and Earth when Earth was still in its semi-molten state.

There isn't a real purpose to go back or stay for any significant reason. I'd much more support a manned Mars mission than another manned Moon mission.

That said, even though we have more computing power individually than we did when we pulled off the Apollo landings, we have no spacecraft currently capable of doing such a thing now, let alone a manned mission to Mars. If we wished to return to the Moon as a trial run for technological development to go to Mars, I'm all for that. But beyond that there isn't much of a purpose.

The real issue I see is that we've lost the engineers and institutional knowledge that got us to the moon in the first place. We've nearly lost the institutional knowledge for building spacecraft that are manned. I'd be for manned missions simply to build a new range of spacecrafts.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    For what purpose, though?
    What could we do if we had a in-space refuel and refit station?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List