Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Season 2019

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

After weighing options and looking at the storm track, amusingly we are headed back to Tampa today.
    If you can find gas, that's probably a good move. I was looking at the track and timeline, and your earlier posts and began to think you could get stuck in Atlanta until Thursday or Friday.

@RJ Better safe than sorry, Rich. It's always a gamble packing up and leaving early. Either makes you the joker or the genius. Going late, once everyone is sure it's coming for a punch on the nose, is often near impossible with traffic and gas shortages. You played it smart, the rest of us just got lucky.

2:00pm Update: No changes. The good news, is that it's still moving slow at 8mph, which is allowing that turn later in the week.
    Last edited by StraitR; 08-31-2019 at 12:51 PM.

FML.

We spent a night in quite possibly the worst Hilton I’ve ever stayed in.

After weighing options and looking at the storm track, amusingly we are headed back to Tampa today. Currently at a Publix near Warner Robbins taking a break for lunch and sundries.

Stay safe all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you just never know. Leave early is always better than leave with everyone else and be stuck in traffic. Sure home that sucker stays out in the Atlantic.

FML.

We spent a night in quite possibly the worst Hilton I’ve ever stayed in.

After weighing options and looking at the storm track, amusingly we are headed back to Tampa today. Currently at a Publix near Warner Robbins taking a break for lunch and sundries.

Stay safe all.
    You made the best choice with the info you had. Don't second guess it.

The gas situation may not be bad. I don't think a lot of people left, because there still aren't mandatory evacuations on the east coast. Stations are getting more gas, and Publix was well stocked with water and food this morning. I'm sure people will bitch that they were warned too early, but it spread out the panic buying.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Hurricane Season 2019

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    If you can find gas, that's probably a good move. I was looking at the track and timeline, and your earlier posts and began to think you could get stuck in Atlanta until Thursday or Friday.
    Exactly.

You roll the dice and make the best choice ‘at the time’. With a storm track over Tampa Bay on Thursday, we were quite ok with bugging out yesterday. Yesterday’s track was following us, and we didn’t see driving through S in TS or H force winds.

With the track trending right and Easterly, we felt either we go today, or wait 3-5 days.

Unfortunately the 5 day track shows a line intersecting Jacksonville N.C. where my step son is stationed. Prayers for any in the path of this storm. As say, we have ridden out many of these and know what a pita it can be.

Stay safe all.

Last edited by RJ; 08-31-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    My eldest is in Wilmington. They had a month off after Florence last September. Hoping not again.

Name:  AL052019_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  78.5 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Too soon?

Attachment 41973

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1167919657430335488

EDIT to add:
    1) Apparently Firefox is blocking trackers from Twitter, which means I can't see Tweets I've embedded.
    2) On August 31, 2017, I was sitting in this chair having a cup of coffee, pondering the fact that The Salt Mines had said we were only sending half a dozen people to help bail out after Hurricane Harvey, when the Assistant Director called to tell me I was going after all.
    Last edited by Drang; 08-31-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Please hit DC Please hit DC Please hit DC
    #RESIST

User Tag List