Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Season 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Claudette, some time ago, probably the late Seventies, or very early Eighties, and Allison, early in this century, were record-setting rain events, in their day, for SE Texas, at 26 and 36 inches, respectively, even though they were “merely” tropical storms. I am not saying that one should “worry” about anything, but we are going to be ready for street flooding to keep us confined, and prepare for extended periods without electrical power service. We are OK with canned food, but might add a bit extra, for good measure.

We are calm, but, paying attention.

It took Harvey to actually put water in our house. One would think that this storm will not dump 50-60 inches of rain,
    as did Harvey, but, well, I will presume nothing.

A big tree, that has weakened since the previous strong wind, can kill a guy during a Spring thunderstorm. Let’s be safe.
    Totally agree.

My post sounds flippant, but I am prepared and watching. Just not overly concerned for my situation.

I don’t miss hurricanes. I think RI has one every 30 years or so.

Stay prepared and bug out when you need to go!
    Last edited by LSP552; 07-10-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I don’t miss hurricanes. I think RI has one every 30 years or so.

Stay prepared and bug out when you need to go!
    Well, you'd better stay sharp when it comes to those "wicked" nor'easters.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

From another Forum:

Baofeng radios to be banned from import....
    .....after Sept 30th. The FCC finally got enough complaints from the competition that the cheap non compliant baofeng radios will no longer be allowed to be “offered for sale” after Sept 30th.

These radios are the de facto standard issue radio for every prepper group and patriot group in my AO.

I run quality Yaesu radio equipment that is type accepted and compliant. I also have a case of these Baofeng radios stashed away in my bunker and have already programmed them with chirp with all the frequencies I want or need for my AO. They are good backups or if i need to equip some folks with comms i can cheaply.

Buy them cheap and stack them deep. Prices are climbing on them already. You will still be allowed to own,use, give or trade them after the deadline.

I just bought a couple for me and my brother ahead of the busy season for us

We got a whole bunch of rain down here in metro NOLA this morning. I’m sure it’s going to get worst this weekend with the storm out in the gulf.

Site Supporter
    Another evening of severe thunderstorms here in FTW. High 60's winds, potential for 3/4" hail.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    From another Forum:

Baofeng radios to be banned from import....
    .....after Sept 30th. The FCC finally got enough complaints from the competition that the cheap non compliant baofeng radios will no longer be allowed to be “offered for sale” after Sept 30th.

These radios are the de facto standard issue radio for every prepper group and patriot group in my AO.

I run quality Yaesu radio equipment that is type accepted and compliant. I also have a case of these Baofeng radios stashed away in my bunker and have already programmed them with chirp with all the frequencies I want or need for my AO. They are good backups or if i need to equip some folks with comms i can cheaply.

Buy them cheap and stack them deep. Prices are climbing on them already. You will still be allowed to own,use, give or trade them after the deadline.

I just bought a couple for me and my brother ahead of the busy season for us
    More discussion in the Amateur Radio thread, especially these posts: #74, #76

Further discussion of amateur radio issues are probably better in that thread than here. Suffice to say, the BaoFengs and similar radios(for given quantities of "similar", i.e., identical except for cosmetics) are probably better than nothing, and are cheap enough that you won't cry too hard if they get destroyed in a storm, but the potential for massive Federal fines for operating out of band, coupled with poor technical performance (it may sound fine, but put it on test equipment!) mean you get what you pay for.

I also note that the Cajun Navy seems to primarily use cell phones with the Zello app.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Zello only works with cell service. Found that out the hard way...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    Zello only works with cell service. Found that out the hard way...
    Yep. That's why I find it noteworthy. Would have been screwed trying to use it when we responded to Superstorm Sandy, a month later cell coverage was still crappy in Brighton Beach.
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Seen on Adam Baldwin's Twitter feed:
    Name:  Tropical Storm Barry.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  36.5 KB
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List