Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Season 2019

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’m in the same county and my generator has easily paid for itself. I reckon it’s the overhead power lines in my area.
    Yup. Our lines are buried. A former coworker lives on the other side of town where the power lines are overhead and he loses power all the time.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Cat 5 Dorian has max sustained winds now of 180mph, which is 69mph higher than what it takes to rate a major hurricane. That's like adding nearly hurricane force winds (74mph) on top of a major hurricane (111mph). Bad stuff amigos.
    ]
    I get the danger, but not every part of the storm is that strong.

Name:  Dorian winds.png
Views: 364
Size:  59.3 KB
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I get the danger, but not every part of the storm is that strong.
    I don't believe I said it was. As you know, storms are measured by their worst parts, and the worst parts have to go somewhere.

Dorian is mapped closer to the coast than it was yesterday, with a forecasted turn to begin at roughly 8pm tonight. If it doesn't start turning close to that time, or if the storm speeds up, South Florida and potentially the whole coast has some real trouble coming.

ETA: And the max sustained winds are now up to 185mph, so it's yet to stop gaining strength.
    Last edited by StraitR; 09-01-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I don't believe I said it was. As you know, storms are measured by their worst parts, and the worst parts have to go somewhere.

Dorian is mapped closer to the coast than it was yesterday, with a forecasted turn to begin at roughly 8pm tonight. If it doesn't start turning close to that time, or if the storm speeds up, South Florida and potentially the whole coast has some real trouble coming.

ETA: And the max sustained winds are now up to 185mph, so it's yet to stop gaining strength.
    I'm not arguing about the potential, and if it headed straight in it would be devastating. As you know, I'm ready to go on short notice if it comes to that. But when storms are coming I read data, not headlines. I plotted the closest predicted course on Google Earth using the 0500 data. When the 1100 came out, they added a point in between those two, but the others didn't change. The prediction essentially did not change, but that's not what everyone is saying. The current course prediction brings the center about 80mi due east of me, and then reaches it's closest point at about 57 miles NE of me. Even though we would be closer, we'd be in the SW quadrant.

The western eyewall of Cat 4 Matthew was about 10-15 miles out but we got Cat 2 conditions.

So my point, probably poorly made because I'm running on fumes, is to stay cool and think while ignoring the hype. Stay safe up there.
    Last edited by Hambo; 09-01-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

During my time at Kessler AFB, I volunteered at a Mississippi forestry group. My jaw hit the ground as soon as the van stopped- because as far as the eye could see in every direction , the tree trunks below about 4 story building height were bare.

There was a canopy of foliage above that level, leading to a weird reverse horizon of green treetops on top of empty air. That was the height of Katrinas storm surge.

Folks, ive seen news videos and hurricane charts ...but that sight was like something out of a Dark Tower book. Picturing a moving four story tower of water everywhere scares the millibars out of my Midwest self
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

After Andrew we tried to evacuate agents and their families from their homes, and bring equipment to those who could use it to live in theirs...

I can't say the miss the anxiety of living on a barrier island, (first floor, outside facing door), or the dance to get insurance each year to cover wind, flood and contents damage.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'm curious to see how this shifts over the next few days.

My house is the blue dot. Red line is hurricane force winds (projected).

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Yup. Our lines are buried. A former coworker lives on the other side of town where the power lines are overhead and he loses power all the time.

Chris
    Totally worth it for me, I’ll just go cap off some suppressed subs in the backyard
    #RESIST

Last edited by Drang; 09-01-2019 at 05:11 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List