Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Season 2019

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Reserved Fri-Mon in a Doubletree in Roswell GA. Getting too old for this crap. Stay safe all.
    flying or driving?

Hurricane Season 2019

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    flying or driving?
    Driving.

It’s just us two cars and the dog. We’ve got minimal logistical baggage. Plus used to live in Marietta so familiar w the area. Leaving Fri to get N before I75 turns into a parking lot.
    Last edited by RJ; 08-29-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Driving.

It’s just us two cars and the dog. We’ve got minimal logistical baggage. Plus used to live in Marietta so familiar w the area. Leaving Fri to get N before I75 turns into a parking lot.
    that's the bit I'm contemplating now.

The MIL on oxygen plays a big part in our logistics, otherwise we'd be pretty simple (don't care enough about much in the house to try and save it, and sometimes think I'd welcome the clean slate).

I suppose if we get partway and her machine shits the bed we would just have to drop her at the nearest emergency room and pick her up on the way home!

Site Supporter
    Keeping an eye on Dorian and the Euro model has me wigging out. It’s got Dorian coming too close for comfort (Boynton Beach) at midnight Tuesday. GFS has him clear up by Deltona at that same time. So if we bug out we could be driving right into it . . . then getting home afterwards would be a gigantic PITA if there’s anything worth coming home for. Prep-wise, there isn’t much were missing out on short of the battery backup system I haven’t built yet and a 1-2k inverter generator to supplement the big, inefficient 5kw bastard.

After looking over my shoulder for two of the last 3 Labor Day weekends, I’m hoping that this is my last hurricane season. I’d like to get back to the south and just dodge tornados and SEC fans.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm normally pretty calm about these things, but for some reason this one is concerning me. We're in N Palm Beach County, almost due east of The Lake. Track is still projecting north of us, but even if it stays on track we'll feel it. Currently looking at Naples and Cape Coral on Air BnB.
    I’m feeling the same way . . . Even more uneasy about this one than I was about Irma 2 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Projected as a cat 4 now...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Driving.

Forgive my ignorance here as I don't have experience with hurricanes, but if it's projected to landfall on East coast and you are on west coast in Tampa... if it lands as a CAT 4 would it not be expected to be downgraded a lot by the time it travels a hundred miles on land?

Are you more concerned about danger to your physical person or just the drama of dealing with the aftermath? Are you in a flood area? Is there a possibility that it could infect hit on the west coast landfall despite all reports saying east coast landfall?

I live in Citrus County FL. Just gassed up the cars.

We just bought this house, so I'm hoping that it fairs well. This will be our 2nd FL hurricane, but we have no plans to bug out. Wife will likely have to work at the public shelters if it gets bad, and I'll probably wind up home with my nearly 3 year old.

Biggest consideration for me right now is tapping up the sliding glass back door, and getting a few off my guns back into the house. I moved most to my folks while the house we were renting were up for sale. The new area we live in is less socially isolated and I'm mildly concerned that crime/breaks will increase in the coming days. Especially if alot of folks run for cover. If it's all the same I'd like my AR around. We're far enough inland that I'm not worried about water, and only passingly concerned about wind.

The biggest pain in the ass is the supply shortages. Gas to get to work, regular drinking water, groceries, the like. We stay fairly stocked up but have let it lapse in the last month or so.

-Cory

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Forgive my ignorance here as I don't have experience with hurricanes, but if it's projected to landfall on East coast and you are on west coast in Tampa... if it lands as a CAT 4 would it not be expected to be downgraded a lot by the time it travels a hundred miles on land?

Are you more concerned about danger to your physical person or just the drama of dealing with the aftermath? Are you in a flood area? Is there a possibility that it could infect hit on the west coast landfall despite all reports saying east coast landfall?
    The issue with the some of the earlier models had it barreling right across Florida and into the gulf without losing much steam. As it is, the only part of Florida that might be okay is Naples/Marco Island/Sanibel and the Keys. Everywhere else in the state is on the potential target list. Also, this storm is gonna dump a hellacious amount of rain and a lot of places in Florida don’t do well with rain (especially since this bastard looks like he’s gonna hit the brakes at the coastline). For Irma we left and went to a buddy’s house in Orlando. This time, that would be driving right into the storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Site Supporter
    Driving.

Traffic already sucks more than usual in Atlanta this week - weekend. DRAGANCON is downtown. Big weekend for College Football plus High School Football - that drives up traffic as Atlanta is a major road network for Southeast. Good luck to those evacuating! My GAARRNG buddies are getting prepared but I am retired.
    Last edited by ranger; 08-29-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I live in Citrus County FL. Just gassed up the cars.

We just bought this house, so I'm hoping that it fairs well. This will be our 2nd FL hurricane, but we have no plans to bug out. Wife will likely have to work at the public shelters if it gets bad, and I'll probably wind up home with my nearly 3 year old.

Biggest consideration for me right now is tapping up the sliding glass back door, and getting a few off my guns back into the house. I moved most to my folks while the house we were renting were up for sale. The new area we live in is less socially isolated and I'm mildly concerned that crime/breaks will increase in the coming days. Especially if alot of folks run for cover. If it's all the same I'd like my AR around. We're far enough inland that I'm not worried about water, and only passingly concerned about wind.

The biggest pain in the ass is the supply shortages. Gas to get to work, regular drinking water, groceries, the like. We stay fairly stocked up but have let it lapse in the last month or so.

-Cory
    In the past, property crime isn't an issue unless you're in an area without power for an extended period of time. Then the target is usually fuel. At least that was my experience from 2004.
    During Irma we were without power for 7 days. No issues around here.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

User Tag List