Page 90 of 120 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about STI guns

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    There’s a user on Instagram named patient0zero who appears to be a Metro officer. He regularly posts about how great the guns are doing and how well his personal STI guns do as well. I’d be interested in finding out the exact specs of the Metro guns and learning what’s different from the commercial guns. All I know is that from the photos they appear to be 5” guns with lightening cuts in the slide.
    patient0zero is an LAPD D platoon member but somewhat ironically his primary is/was a Benelli SG.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 05-06-2020 at 04:12 PM.

There’s a user on Instagram named patient0zero who appears to be a Metro officer. He regularly posts about how great the guns are doing and how well his personal STI guns do as well. I’d be interested in finding out the exact specs of the Metro guns and learning what’s different from the commercial guns. All I know is that from the photos they appear to be 5” guns with lightening cuts in the slide.
    I chat with Brad quite a bit

He’s a truthful guy and seems perplexed to hear an issues with newer guns

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Well, I can tell you that once I exorcised whatever the hell mine was coated in for shipping solved all issues.

Just curious what is it coated in? That thick Vaseline looking stuff that comes on some old surplus Russian guns?

Seems like that is kinda sensitive for a proclaimed duty ready gun. But I may be off base here.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I chat with Brad quite a bit

He’s a truthful guy and seems perplexed to hear an issues with newer guns
    I'm certainly not from Metro, but I have asked around about the Metro 5". What I have been able to discern is P frame with longer dust cover, and DVC slide. If you ever watch one fire, it cycles "sloooooow".
    Duke, maybe Brad could tell you if I'm full of shit or not, but that is all the info I can find.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    I'm certainly not from Metro, but I have asked around about the Metro 5". What I have been able to discern is P frame with longer dust cover, and DVC slide. If you ever watch one fire, it cycles "sloooooow".
    Duke, maybe Brad could tell you if I'm full of shit or not, but that is all the info I can find.
    I do find it interesting they specifically say no RMR on 5” 9mm. Hmm.

A few other custom makers say this is odd as the RMR is light enough it shouldn’t be a Factor with correctly lightened slide

Actually Adam at atlas guns works said “thats fucking stupid. It only weighs an ounce....”.

But I’m no engineer or gunsmith. Just a marginally proficient trigger puller that wanted to love these things

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    When I asked Jim Garthwaite about building me a 9mm 1911, he said, "Sure, I'll build you a HiPower". But, seriously, he said if I wanted a 9mm, he would recommend a commander, as the slide mass is less, and the cycle stroke/speed would match the 9mm batter
    I do find it interesting they specifically say no RMR on 5” 9mm. Hmm.

A few other custom makers say this is odd as the RMR is light enough it shouldn’t be a Factor with correctly lightened slide

Actually Adam at atlas guns works said “thats fucking stupid. It only weighs an ounce....”.

But I’m no engineer or gunsmith. Just a marginally proficient trigger puller that wanted to love these things
    Got to be what the Janitor posted. That 5" looks like it's right on the ragged edge of cycling.

To put it in context, it's slower than my wife picking out shoes.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke

...and seems perplexed to hear an issues with newer guns
    Years ago, a huge part of the Springer PRO aura was the fact that civilian guns were exactly the same as agency guns. Aside from the first few with the "FBI" serial numbers, it was said that the builder didn't know where that particular gun would go, and built it with the same care as if it were to go to an agent. I hope that STI doesn't have a different set of build parameters for agency pistols, since they are marketing them as duty ready. Plus, they're not cheap like factory guns

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Got to be what the Janitor posted. That 5" looks like it's right on the ragged edge of cycling.
    Jim even went so far as to discuss types of thumb safeties, and if I had a tendency do rub the slide with my thumbs. He said even those small things could upset a 9mm 1911.

Wilson's 9mm sweet spot (IMHO) is a bushingless 4" with the whole slide tri-topped. Presumably to maintain slide velocity

Jim even went so far as to discuss types of thumb safeties, and if I had a tendency do rub the slide with my thumbs. He said even those small things could upset a 9mm 1911.

Wilson's 9mm sweet spot (IMHO) is a bushingless 4" with the whole slide tri-topped. Presumably to maintain slide velocity
    Yeah, from the conversations you and I have had, and my own research, I would takes Jim's words as gospel, like straight off the mountain engraved on stone tablet gospel.

That sounds right.

But it also the reason I loathed my edc X9.

9mm recoil. Yes of course not so bad. But for the weight of the gun it seems snappier than I expected. The grip shape for me made it about as easy to hang onto as a bar of soap

User Tag List