Page 49 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about STI guns

Site Supporter
    Name:  7FADE54D-D6E5-450F-84C2-09AEA394B83B.jpg
Views: 1633
Size:  59.7 KBI missed the LAPRAAC Expo, got there too late (meetings). I did the paperwork for this though. They had the C2 and a few other new ones, but were already sold out. New barrel length is 4.45 inches, which will have improved handling over the 5 inch guns. According to the people that spoke with STI reps, STI started with a 5 inch and started reducing length until they got the optimal length for reliability and accuracy and it was 4.45 inches. Hopefully Safariland gets a new holster out to go w it.

I have P5, a CM, and few others. The 4.15 guns handle better IMHO than the 5’s. You’re almost waiting for the slide to cycle in The 5 versus the 4; the 4 cycles faster and smoother. I absolutely love the single stack C. I can’t wait to see the single stack 45s

does anyone know why they up'ed the barrel length from 4.15? to 4.45"?

I thought there testing showed 4.15 was the ideal length (based on other manufacture current offerings in 9mm barrel length)
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    does anyone know why they up'ed the barrel length from 4.15? to 4.45"?

I thought there testing showed 4.15 was the ideal length (based on other manufacture current offerings in 9mm barrel length)
    It began around testing barrel lengths specifically with 9mm duty ammo, i.e. 124 +p, 135 +p, 147 gr from major manufacturers (speer, hornady, federal, etc.). The testing was done with Dave Dawson, as we wanted to use his tool less guide rod set up, and wanted the gun to run soft, flat, and reliable with duty ammo and the added weight of an optic, and optic and mounting plate on the gun (tests in the past were done with recoil masters, 115 gr ball ammo, and no optics). We also experimented with several spring rates, as well as types of springs.

The biggest reason was that no one has really ever tried to develop a 2011 platform around 9mm duty ammo, and typically just takes a platform designed for .45 and makes it work with other calibers. Due to our high volume of leo sales this year we have had a lot of feedback from officers running our guns on duty. The original test mule Dave Dawson mocked up for us has been in my possession for the last two months. In that time it has slightly over 20,000 rounds through it, has been cleaned 4 times, and has incurred two malfunctions. Both malfunctions happened when testing light recoil springs when the gun had gone over 3,000 rounds with zero cleaning. The gun was shot by numerous members of high profile SWAT teams, as well as some active duty members of a SOF unit whom we use for high round count feed back, and some of our pro staff. Everyone who fired the new gun agreed that it was an improvement over the existing 4.15 as well as the 5" guns in 9mm. The new gun also exhibited an extremely flat cycle of operation, I have slow mo videos of a few different shooters firing the gun and it gets the same muzzle rise as the DVC-P compensated pistol did with the same shooters.
    I’ll try means I’ll fail, you either can or can’t, and can’t never got anything done.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck8154 View Post
    It began around testing barrel lengths specifically with 9mm duty ammo, i.e. 124 +p, 135 +p, 147 gr from major manufacturers (speer, hornady, federal, etc.). The testing was done with Dave Dawson, as we wanted to use his tool less guide rod set up, and wanted the gun to run soft, flat, and reliable with duty ammo and the added weight of an optic, and optic and mounting plate on the gun (tests in the past were done with recoil masters, 115 gr ball ammo, and no optics). We also experimented with several spring rates, as well as types of springs.

The biggest reason was that no one has really ever tried to develop a 2011 platform around 9mm duty ammo, and typically just takes a platform designed for .45 and makes it work with other calibers. Due to our high volume of leo sales this year we have had a lot of feedback from officers running our guns on duty. The original test mule Dave Dawson mocked up for us has been in my possession for the last two months. In that time it has slightly over 20,000 rounds through it, has been cleaned 4 times, and has incurred two malfunctions. Both malfunctions happened when testing light recoil springs when the gun had gone over 3,000 rounds with zero cleaning. The gun was shot by numerous members of high profile SWAT teams, as well as some active duty members of a SOF unit whom we use for high round count feed back, and some of our pro staff. Everyone who fired the new gun agreed that it was an improvement over the existing 4.15 as well as the 5" guns in 9mm. The new gun also exhibited an extremely flat cycle of operation, I have slow mo videos of a few different shooters firing the gun and it gets the same muzzle rise as the DVC-P compensated pistol did with the same shooters.
    thanks for the info

I actually prefer a Commander length 9mm over the 5". I can feel a difference when shooting them. I also felt 13# recoil spring in the Commander worked well with 147 Speer TMJ and 147 Gold Dot.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    thanks for the info

I actually prefer a Commander length 9mm over the 5". I can feel a difference when shooting them. I also felt 13# recoil spring in the Commander worked well with 147 Speer TMJ and 147 Gold Dot.
    I love my 4.15 gun, put a carry grip on it and it has been my edc for a long time. The new guns does shoot softer and flatter though. much more noticable if you run an optic.
    I’ll try means I’ll fail, you either can or can’t, and can’t never got anything done.

Site Supporter
    Co-workers (enablers) are sending me pics of other guns. Staccato C Duo (Single Stack). I would have this if I saw it yesterday.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by banzaijohn View Post
    Co-workers (enablers) are sending me pics of other guns. Staccato C Duo (Single Stack). I would have this if I saw it yesterday.
    That’s the one I want right there. And I’d love it if we got some competition for the RMSc and Romeo Zero at SHOT.

Sir, I am not sure if anyone has asked, but when will the new product line really go public and the website reflect the new line?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 12-05-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Sir, I am not sure if anyone has asked, but when will the new product line really go public and the website reflect the new line?
    Thanks
    I believe the full 2020 product line will be launched next week on our website and across all the company social media.

I believe the full 2020 product line will be launched next week on our website and across all the company social media.
    Thank You and Thank You for being part of this forum.

User Tag List