Page 3 of 120 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about STI guns

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    It probably doesn't. But it's cooler than a 19X any day of the week.

And it's more fun to shoot. Obviously...you've enjoyed it enough to be heavily tempted.
    But that DVC-C would end up costing me around $10,000+.
    Because when I change platforms I go all in (carry, competition and all-around) because i'm a simple man who gets confused easily and don't want to be swapping back and forth between different triggers and controls.
    So that awesome little DVC-C would quickly have a few friends.
    Staccato-P for training and nightstand and a DVC-3 or L for competition along with another couple grand in support gear.

Is that 2011 worth another $10k over my 19X.... maybe.... must hide AMEX card
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Is there any issue with frequent dry fire practice with these newer 2011’s?

Quote Originally Posted by Rc217 View Post
    Is there any issue with frequent dry fire practice with these newer 2011’s?
    Shouldn't be. They are just 1911s with a wider grip frame.

The only distinct "2011" parts are the frame, grip frame, mainspring housing, mainspring housing pin, trigger, magazine release, magazine, and grip safety. All the other parts are 1911 parts. None of those should have issues caused by dry fire.

FYI - for anyone still thinking more data points that "modern" STI is on the way to better places -

Scott Jedlinski (Modern Samurai Project) notes that he has had a dozen STIs in class over the last year, Staccatos and Omnis, with zero failures. That's ~1000 rounds per gun of empirical data, perhaps not the highest round counts out there, but when you start getting double-digit sample sizes with zero failures, you're moving in the right direction. Scott also notes he is not an STI shooter and doesn't own an STI, suggesting a more unbiased opinion.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0Ue0ezAPOV/

___

Also, according to STI, the U.S. Marshals Special Operations Group has just adopted a special version of the Staccato P in 9mm.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0Us8Tjn9JC/

____

And it appears Long Beach PD SWAT will in fact move to adopt STIs - Their evaluation here: https://stiguns.com/longbeach-swat-e...-sti-tactical/

___

It's all looking positive overall. Which makes me happy, because I've long loved STIs. This admittedly biased update comes from a guy wearing an STI-based gun right now.

GUNS.COM article on the USMS SOG adopting the STI Staccato-P-DUO:

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/07/24...VvU4ECRlj9rCYI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Whoops. AMP beat me too it.

Seeing Jedlinski’s post was very interesting, and I was not aware of the U.S. Marshall’s acquisition. I’m a little unclear on the Staccato guns, do either of them come with an aluminum frame, and are they 4-inch guns that require bull barrels, or are they Commander 4.25-inch guns that could use a bushing?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Seeing Jedlinski’s post was very interesting, and I was not aware of the U.S. Marshall’s acquisition. I’m a little unclear on the Staccato guns, do either of them come with an aluminum frame, and are they 4-inch guns that require bull barrels, or are they Commander 4.25-inch guns that could use a bushing?
    The STI frame is a two piece affair. The serialized portion of an STI frame is quite small being just framerails and a feed ramp, really. Some are aluminum some steel. I think the current production is aluminum. :https://www.speedshooter.com/product...e-Stack-Frames

The grip frames from STI are all polymer these days. They have made aluminum in the past. . But you can replace them with aftermarket steel or aluminum grips, be aware they are expensive (5-600 for a stainless steel Cheely rig). The steel ones add real weight to the gun weighting 10+ ounces more than poly of aluminum. Aluminum adds maybe 2 ounces.

STI uses only bull barrels these days, no bushings in their lineup. The Staccato guns are both 4” guns, the difference the C is single stack, the P is double stack. All the Omni guns are double stack.

Because the frame rail dimensions on an STI are 1911-spec, a good smith can easily fit you any kind of 1911 upper. The gun I was carrying today is an STI double stack lower, with a true Commander-length, bushing equipped, upper on top.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

STI uses only bull barrels these days, no bushings in their lineup. The Staccato guns are both 4” guns, the difference the C is single stack, the P is double stack. All the Omni guns are double stack.

Because the frame rail dimensions on an STI are 1911-spec, a good smith can easily fit you any kind of 1911 upper. The gun I was carrying today is an STI double stack lower, with a true Commander-length, bushing equipped, upper on top.
    Yes, your STI has been a very interesting gun to read about, and I appreciate your posts about it.. I was only using 5” steel 1911s for a while, and now that I’ve also gotten into Glocks, I’m curious to see how a plastic-grip, aluminum-frame 2011 compares weight wise to G17s and G19s, or perhaps more equivalently to that Zev OZ-9. I remember a past P-F member who had dotted, threaded barrel Commander 2011, but I seem to recall that it was a steel frame.

This next generation of 2011 magazines without the inserts seem to be a real step forward.
    Last edited by Bergeron; 07-27-2019 at 07:19 AM.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

User Tag List