Page 2 of 120 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about STI guns

I've been playing around with a borrowed DVC-3 9mm that has been well used and borderline abused by its owner and I like it so much i've almost clicked "submit order" several times on a DVC-C 9mm.
    Only thing stopping me is that little voice in my head telling me that it really doesn't do anything that much better than my 19X for my purposes.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    My idea of a reliable, durable double-column .45 ACP for duty/hard use centers around things like a Glock G21 and HK HK45 and USP, but I'm willing to be open-minded (But yeah, I'm pretty skeptical here from what I'm seeing).
    I don't know anyone who is using a .45 STI. Typically either .40 for USPSA Limited with Major scoring or 9mm because more bullets and less recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Only thing stopping me is that little voice in my head telling me that it really doesn't do anything that much better than my 19X for my purposes.
    It probably doesn't. But it's cooler than a 19X any day of the week.

And it's more fun to shoot. Obviously...you've enjoyed it enough to be heavily tempted.

I have a STI Staccato P Duo. just picked it up about 3 weeks ago. Once I got the RMR mounted and sighted in it's been hard to put it down and shoot my other guns.I have two range trips with around 1000rds through it so far. Absolutely not close to a high round count by any means but I plan on changing that. The trigger is good around 4.5 lbs. on my finger scale. Fit is tight and finish is great with no nasty tool marks. Thumb safety is positive on/off and fit nicely. Duo optic system is a slick design and seems well thought out. I have witness marked my screws just to be sure nothing backs out. Mags are 17 and 20 rds have been trouble free so far. Picked up a couple extra during 4th of July sales. So far I really like it and I look forward to actually shooting this gun and seeing how it shakes out for me.
    Last edited by CDFIII; 07-09-2019 at 07:24 PM.

My recent STI matches the quality of my Ed Brown except in the trigger. The trigger on the STI is better than my EB!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Have you called them between 8am-3:30pm?
    Yeah, it took me to a menu and then it went to VM. I left a message but I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Given that STI is in process of training a host of new gunsmiths and still evolving/settling on their product line, it wouldn't surprise me if there are QC issues currently or from time-to-time over the next 12-24 months. I would give them another 18-months of production, before I leapt in on a new STI.
    My Edge was manufactured around 2005 and the DVC was made around 2013, so who knows what was going into their guns around those times frames. I've read on Enos that at some point STI was importing a lot of their components. I don't think that's the case right now since they've trimmed their product lines significantly. The DVC is my primary USPSA Limited gun and the Edge is my backup gun, I'm probably going to switch to a steel frame at some point and the warranty will be out the window anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Yeah, it took me to a menu and then it went to VM. I left a message but I'll give it another try tomorrow.

My Edge was manufactured around 2005 and the DVC was made around 2013, so who knows what was going into their guns around those times frames. I've read on Enos that at some point STI was importing a lot of their components. I don't think that's the case right now since they've trimmed their product lines significantly. The DVC is my primary USPSA Limited gun and the Edge is my backup gun, I'm probably going to switch to a steel frame at some point and the warranty will be out the window anyway.
    IIRC - from 2007'ish to about 2012 they imported a lot of their small parts from Armscor in the Philippines. That was also about the point where Dave Skinner retired as CEO (2010). From 2010-2018, STI had three CEOs and substantial ownership changes, they went from an Employee-Owned company to being purchased by a private equity group in 2017.

What we're seeing now is the STI that was purchased in 2017 and has had solid leadership and a clear direction since then is moving towards profitability and quality.

Around 2013 would be a bad STI era. That was end of Tim Dillon as CEO era. He had fired most of the senior gunsmiths by then, trimmed production down, they had "parts fitters" building guns not gunsmiths, but they didn't have a simplified product line. It didn't get much better under Greg Mooney who replaced Dillon in 2014. But of course, the STI board of directors had some weird ideas then, they seemed to think Mooney would help them land the MHS contract...for whatever reason. I don't think it's a coincidence that Mooney was fired in 2017, shortly after the company was sold and everyone knew by then SIG had won the contract. But at least during Mooney's era they simplified the product line and doubled down on their commitment to the competition market AND they got the Gen 2 mags out during that time, which has been a real and much needed improvement. Frankly, if they could have brought those mags out in 2010, STI would have been able to shed the "unreliable" misnomer years ago.

Site Supporter
    From what I can gather open source, the original HOST used MOS type plates but allowed the optic to sit lower than most MOS type systems.

Here is a detailed review of the original HOST system from Sept 2018: https://spotterup.com/sti-tactical-h-o-s-t-hands-on/

The DUO or HOST II system is like that found on the SIG M17/18/X series guns. Basic rear sight is part of the no optics cover plate. Remove it and the basic cut is for direct mount of a DPP pro. No BUIS - it’s intended to use a BUIS mounted to the rear dovetail of the DPP. I heard there may be an Dawson DPP pro rear BUIS which is supposed to be an improvement over the Leupold factor BUIS,

Gun also comes with an adaptor plate for RMR footprint optics with a built in BUIS. The adaptor plate has bosses to support the optic kind of like the C&H aftermarket MOS plates and supposedly has an improved mounting geometry.

This video from Jim Dexter gives a good overview of the DUO system.

Site Supporter
    Isn't Sti owned by a holding company? If so, there are bean counters with great say so.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Isn't Sti owned by a holding company? If so, there are bean counters with great say so.
    In the most technical sense.

It's a Private Equity Firm that owns STI currently. And that is, as I understand the agreement, a buy up of controlling interest with investment capital to get the company solvent. The PEF will collect it's profit, and then the Employee Owners of STI will buy them back out, after the infusion of cash, management turnover, and profitability come.

It's a smart move for a company owned by its employees who do not necessarily have the financial standing to substantially improve their own company.

In that sense, yes there are bean counters. But since the PEF profits both from their investment and the sale back of a profitable company, it's in their interest to walk the margin of profitability and production quality.

And technically all companies have bean counters with great say so. If you don't turn a profit, you never grow.

In the most technical sense.

It's a Private Equity Firm that owns STI currently. And that is, as I understand the agreement, a buy up of controlling interest with investment capital to get the company solvent. The PEF will collect it's profit, and then the Employee Owners of STI will buy them back out, after the infusion of cash, management turnover, and profitability come.

It's a smart move for a company owned by its employees who do not necessarily have the financial standing to substantially improve their own company.

In that sense, yes there are bean counters. But since the PEF profits both from their investment and the sale back of a profitable company, it's in their interest to walk the margin of profitability and production quality.

And technically all companies have bean counters with great say so. If you don't turn a profit, you never grow.
    It’s also really hard to maintain even a stagnant business that does nothing but bleed cash. Just sayin’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List