Page 11 of 120 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about STI guns

Teach me about STI guns

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The Staccato P is too large to make much headway outside of duty use.
    The Staccato C has too low of a capacity for its size to be more than a niche pistol.
    The DVC C is just about the perfect carry 2011 but that $3000 sticker price... yea... no.
    The only way the Staccato line will go anywhere outside of specialized LE is if they integrate the Staccato upgrades into the Guardian/VIP line.
    One of the articles I read about the SOG selection had a photo of the gun STI made at SOG’s request as a carry version. It was a Staccato P but it was cut down in the grip and not optic ready. It’s the last photo in this link: https://www.guns.com/news/2019/07/24...i-2011-pistols.

I’m surprised they haven’t released it to the open market. It sounds like the solution to your concerns.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 09-09-2019 at 07:15 AM. Reason: The photo shows which agency it was *facepalm*
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    One of the articles I read about the SOG selection had a photo of the gun STI made at SOG’s request as a carry version. It was a Staccato P but it was cut down in the grip and not optic ready. It’s the last photo in this link: https://www.guns.com/news/2019/07/24/exclusive-u-s-marshals-special-operations-group-adopts-sti-2011-pistols.

I’m surprised they haven’t released it to the open market. It sounds like the solution to your concerns.

LAPD's Revolver and Athletic Club is taking pre-orders for the "Special Forces" Model which is the SOG gun without their markings.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    One of the articles I read about the SOG selection had a photo of the gun STI made at SOG’s request as a carry version. It was a Staccato P but it was cut down in the grip and not optic ready. It’s the last photo in this link: https://www.guns.com/news/2019/07/24...i-2011-pistols.

The last picture-
    The grip looks like a DVC Carry grip. This could just (almost) really be a DVC C with out the slide cutouts and a full length bottom dust cover.
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 09-09-2019 at 02:19 PM.

I was considering just getting the regular staccato p and getting the "VIP/Carry" grip. That seems like a package that "might" be concealable enough to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    The last picture-
    The grip looks like a DVC Carry grip. This could just (almost) really be a DVC C with out the slide cutouts and a full length bottom dust cover.
    Isn’t the grip the same when you remove the magwell on the Staccato P?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram @usmc_k9_vet
    Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm Wilson Combat: 92G Brig Tac, 92G CC

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes, and the issue came down to mags. Neither Para nor prior STI mags were up to snuff. The fact that they were .45s and the weight of the ammo va the strength of the springs was another issue.

HK, Glock and S&W have al made reliable double stack .45s though, particularly HK. You know why ? Magazines. HK is a magazine company. Their mags are engineered for maximum reliability rather than maximum capacity.

If making good, consistent mags was easy, Colt, HK, SIG, Beretta, S&W etc would not outsource mag production.

One of STI’s changes to try and get into the LE/GOV market is they redesigned and outsourced their 2011 magazines. Which also dropped the price. So far the new production mags seem to be living up to the hype and they are $40-45 a pop rather than $75 or more.

Speaking of mags, while some of the old, in house STI mags needed tuning to run, part of the 2011s negative reputation is based on competitors trying to cram as many rounds as possible into a mag of a certain length. As we have seen with trying to cram 8 rounds into a 7 round length 1911 mag tube, 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag is not a recipe for reliability.
    Back in the 90’s when my Para was my only gun I quickly discovered it was their magazine springs that were my issue. The gun runs like a champ with Wolff springs in the mags. I finally just threw out the OEM springs and dropped in a Wolff in new mags.

No I dont believe it is. It's a little shorter and uses the 120mm mags I believe. Longer will fit of course but 120 is what fits flush.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    No I dont believe it is. It's a little shorter and uses the 120mm mags I believe. Longer will fit of course but 120 is what fits flush.
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
    Isn’t the grip the same when you remove the magwell on the Staccato P?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The DVC C comes with one 120mm and two 126mm, so that leads me to believe it is the same grip.

https://dawsonprecision.com/sti-2011-dvc-c/
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 09-09-2019 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    The DVC C comes with one 120mm and two 126mm, so that leads me to believe it is the same grip.

https://dawsonprecision.com/sti-2011-dvc-c/
    I think he was replying to the person that asked if it was just the Staccato grip with the magazine funnel removed.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post
    I think he was replying to the person that asked if it was just the Staccato grip with the magazine funnel removed.

Jason
    Ok yes I was too. The staccato P grip looks the same as the DVC CARRY WITHOUT THE MAG WELL. The other model in the article is a Staccato P without the mag well and is also the same

Name:  7AC52324-911B-4440-8470-60F0A85722F4.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  16.6 KB

https://news.guns.com/wp-content/upl...3918854698.jpg

Both grips look the same.
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 09-09-2019 at 09:15 PM.

User Tag List