Page 102 of 120 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1199

Thread: Teach me about STI guns

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
    I'm fairly certain they have developed a plate and milling service for non-Duo guns. I think I saw it on their social media or maybe here.

Reach out to Buck or call the shop.

Nick
    STI factory or aftermarket? STI's previous comments in this thread didn't seem particularly interested in the RMR.

There are a number of outfits offering to fit the Trijicon RMR Adapter Plate to a 1911/2011 slide. Vulcan Machine Werks
    has been mentioned previously, and they have a nice Staccato package deal, as well as Primary Machine (which has coating options similar to the factory finish).

One of the benefits of going with the Trijicon Adapter Plate vice the DUO system has been getting the RMR/SRO to sit much lower. The CHPWS plate also seems like an upgrade, as the factory sights are quite tall to co-witness with the DPP. A thinner plate is also welcomed...the RMR/SRO sits quite high on the DUO model...

Name:  pix166308707.jpg
Views: 2588
Size:  75.4 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    STI factory or aftermarket? STI's previous comments in this thread didn't seem particularly interested in the RMR.

There are a number of outfits offering to fit the Trijicon RMR Adapter Plate to a 1911/2011 slide. Vulcan Machine Werks
    has been mentioned previously, and they have a nice Staccato package deal, as well as Primary Machine (which has coating options similar to the factory finish).

One of the benefits of going with the Trijicon Adapter Plate vice the DUO system has been getting the RMR/SRO to sit much lower. The CHPWS plate also seems like an upgrade, as the factory sights are quite tall to co-witness with the DPP. A thinner plate is also welcomed...the RMR/SRO sits quite high on the DUO model...

Name:  pix166308707.jpg
Views: 2588
Size:  75.4 KB
    I think CHPWS is developing a low RMR plate with 10-8 rear sight for a non-DUO Staccato P. They would also do the milling. I can't remember where I saw it. It is on their website but the link goes to a blank page.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Yea it fits well then. Downtown Chicago most nights is deserted and there is no gunfire. Given @Duke's experience with the latest STI...err...2011 Guns...err...Staccato guns...silence seems like it would be the appropriate term.

Staccato has been used to describe gunfire, but it's not really the term I'd use to describe a gun company. Anyways, doesn't much matter to me, they will always be STI.
    “The artist formerly known as......”

Tripp research
    Strayer Tripp International
    Strayer Voight international
    Infinity
    2011 firearms
    Staccato

Fuck even im tired of trying to keep it all straight

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

Tripp research
    Infinity
    2011 firearms
    Staccato

Oh you forgot a couple. For a long time it was STI International. Which meant it was Strayer Tripp International International

And the most recent form, before 2011 Guns/Firearms whatever and now Staccato was STI, LLC.

Tripp research
    Infinity
    2011 firearms
    Staccato

Being pedantic (sorry), Strayer Voight international (SVI)/Infinity is a spin off from STI while Tripp Research is what Virgil Tripp started after he left STI. SVI/Infinity builds ground-up customs with almost every part other than springs made in house. I am fortunate enough to still have two, both single-stack. I used a SVI 2011 for Limited 10 back in the early 2000s. I miss Tripp Research metal finishing and still use the single-stack Tripp Super 7 magazine guts. I vaguely remember that Chip McCormick sold Tripp Research parts branded as Chip McCormick (CMC). To add insult to injury, I believe there have been two Tripp Research companies, one that did parts and one that did metal finishing and magazine guts.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Being pedantic (sorry), Strayer Voight international (SVI)/Infinity is a spin off from STI while Tripp Research is what Virgil Tripp started after he left STI. SVI/Infinity builds ground-up customs with almost every part other than springs made in house. I am fortunate enough to still have two, both single-stack. I used a SVI 2011 for Limited 10 back in the early 2000s. I miss Tripp Research metal finishing and still use the single-stack Tripp Super 7 magazine guts. I vaguely remember that Chip McCormick sold Tripp Research parts branded as Chip McCormick (CMC). To add insult to injury, I believe there have been two Tripp Research companies, one that did parts and one that did metal finishing and magazine guts.
    I know.

I’ve been inside the voight’s place - infinity.

Nice folk really.

I think it takes them about one real time week of building to finish that 8-12week/ 6-8 month build time but whatevs

She’s literally earth’s hottest girl......But Cheebus she has some unresolved issues.
    That girl's just insane
    Well, nothing I do don't seem to work
    It only seems to make the matters worse
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

It still puzzles me why they don't make steel single stacks. Yes, they were ugly, but that's fixable with standard serrations and normal checkering and such. The late, great Jerry Keefer used to say that he liked building guns on STI frames and slides because they were dimensionally near-perfect, especially when it came to pin locations. And we know Jerry was a true gunsmith, the type that could make a pistol out of a block of billet.

Dimensionally accurate frames and slides would likely mean parts would "drop-in" easier and the final product would be more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    It still puzzles me why they don't make steel single stacks. Yes, they were ugly, but that's fixable with standard serrations and normal checkering and such. The late, great Jerry Keefer used to say that he liked building guns on STI frames and slides because they were dimensionally near-perfect, especially when it came to pin locations. And we know Jerry was a true gunsmith, the type that could make a pistol out of a block of billet.

Dimensionally accurate frames and slides would likely mean parts would "drop-in" easier and the final product would be more consistent.
    It puzzles me as well. My best guess is less competition in the 2011 space compared to the throngs of 1911 manufacturers at every price point from bargain basement to pinnacle penthouse. That being said, my experience with STI single-stacks, ranging from the Spartan to the Duty One to the Target Master to the Lawman to the Trojan has been very good. STI appeared to let form be driven by function and manufacturing efficiencies, with some interesting results, such as the "grid serrations" and fully ramped .45 ACP barrels so the same frame could handle any cartridge. There were some misfires with no excuse for the "billboard roll marks", which were finally corrected. The guns may be ugly, but, for the most part, they run.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
    I think CHPWS is developing a low RMR plate with 10-8 rear sight for a non-DUO Staccato P. They would also do the milling. I can't remember where I saw it. It is on their website but the link goes to a blank page.

Good luck.
    I was curious and asked CHPWS directly. They said yes, they can mill a non-DUO gun into a DUO gun. That combined with their upcoming DUO RMR/10-8 plate sounds like a winner to me. Vulcan is charging $400 for a similar package so I am hoping CHPWS is in the same ballpark. I didn't ask about a timeline or price.

Shot another 200 rounds without any drama, Winchester Ranger RA9T (147gr), Lawman 147gr, and Blazer Brass 124gr. Used the orange recoil spring and will probably stick with it. Next range session I will bring the light recoiling 135gr hollow points.

As a friendly reminder, check ammo that has been stored in ammo cans. I just lost 800 rounds of Lawman 147gr, opened the can after 2 years and it was a mess. The cardboard boxes were soaking wet as was the desiccant. I can save the projectiles I suppose. I *think* this was a Midway USA can, but not sure. Bummed I lost all that ammo, especially now that I am back to shooting regularly.

User Tag List