Page 116 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1199

Thread: Teach me about STI guns

Interesting stuff. Thank you guys. I’m loving this gun. I know it’s not a super high end 2011 but seems like you get a lot of value for the money.

I’m sort of having second thoughts about getting mine cut up. I like it so much that I kind of want to keep it as is and order a DPO version and wait the 3-4 months so that I have a version of each. But I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    As to the mags, I have the old mags and put ISMI springs and Dawson Precision basepads on them. In about 1k rounds since fielding that combo, I have not had any malfunctions, even when running crap Win white box and frangible ammo. The bad news is that the mag springs are $10 each and the baseplates are $32 each. I am slowly converting all of my 20 rounders to this configuration.
    Have you read about the springs from Atlas?

https://atlasgunworks.com/product/at...gazine-spring/

+15% for 126mm/140mm $8.99
    +18% for 126mm/140mm $11.99

I do find it curious that Staccato uses the same spring for both the 17rd and 20rd magazines.

From my sample of now 2 STIs, if I had problems it was with the 20rd mags (Gen2, new and used). Based on the 2500 rounds I ran the 4.15" P, it was on the ragged edge of reliability with 20rd mags and the factory wanted to replace the pistol outright. It was sold with full disclosure and since I had a glut of mags, decided to try another 2011.

So far my 2nd 2011, a well used Costa Comp, is eating the short/flat ammo (older AE147) without issue. I did have 2 rounds of the 150gr Syntech deform on the feedramp. The rest of the box shot fine but I am probably going to sideline that ammo and focus on 124/135/147 FMJ. At some point I want to see if my carry ammo, 147gr Ranger, will work reliably.

Man, this has been a spendy journey and this thing still isn't red dot capable.

Thanks, Ray, for the info on the Atals gunworks springs. I just had 10 17 rounders delivered today. I am going to compare new factory 17 round and 20 round springs. I had no idea they are supposed to be the same spring.

friend asked me about the C2 duo, anyone who has one, how are you liking it?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    friend asked me about the C2 duo, anyone who has one, how are you liking it?
    I’m convinced it’s the best carry gun you can buy.

Quote Originally Posted by pew_pew View Post
    I’m convinced it’s the best carry gun you can buy.
    Why do you think that? I don't doubt you, just curious

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Why do you think that? I don't doubt you, just curious
    I’m a Glock fanboy. Usually carry a 19.

But the C2 is almost the same weight. It’s like an ounce more I believe, the trigger is obviously better, and it’s more mechanically accurate. I do a lot of shooting at 25 yards at speed. A Glock just isn’t capable of the same accuracy. Maybe with a fitted barsto barrel or something but I haven’t done that yet so can’t say.

The C2 is my first foray in to pistol optics so that might be part of it but my gun started as an iron sight gun that I sent to staccato for the DPO milling.

Pannone released a vid a little while ago about the staccato's and I'm still left scratching my head.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CQcfgch...on_share_sheet

some statements (and my comments) from the vid:

-redesign of the 2011 when staccato took over (What was wrong with the first gun? Most users said it was the mags. )

-better reliability than any other 1911 pattern gun (great, but the context this pistol is being used in, is a duty environment. compare it to a glock, not a 1911)

-using gen2 mags with modified feed lips and are testing gen3 (so the mags STILL aren't optimal? Why are there aftermarket mags proclaiming BETTER performance than the factory mags?)

I'm freaking desperate to buy one of these new pattern 2011, but the logic doesn't add up. If the mags were the problem, then new mags in the OLD 2011 should solve the problems. If it was the design of the gun that was the issue, how do you account for the best pistolsmiths in the 1911 world, saying the problems were inherently in the mags. Surely we aren't implying that they don't know how to make a pistol work. I asked Buck over on LF if new mags in older guns are the fix and I got no response. Granted, I didn't ask twice, and I don't know anyone with a new pistol, whose willing to get OLD mags to see if the pistol "redesign" was substantial. How do we reconcile the observation that all of a sudden, "2011" builders are now everywhere (NH, Chambers, Atlas, fowler, etc). Did they all have a revelation in design at the same time, or is it the magic in the mag? But then we come full circle on why we're needing a third generation of mags in just a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    -better reliability than any other 1911 pattern gun (great, but the context this pistol is being used in, is a duty environment. compare it to a glock, not a 1911)

-using gen2 mags with modified feed lips and are testing gen3 (so the mags STILL aren't optimal? Why are there aftermarket mags proclaiming BETTER performance than the factory mags?)

I'm freaking desperate to buy one of these new pattern 2011, but the logic doesn't add up. If the mags were the problem, then new mags in the OLD 2011 should solve the problems. If it was the design of the gun that was the issue, how do you account for the best pistolsmiths in the 1911 world, saying the problems were inherently in the mags. Surely we aren't implying that they don't know how to make a pistol work. I asked Buck over on LF if new mags in older guns are the fix and I got no response. Granted, I didn't ask twice, and I don't know anyone with a new pistol, whose willing to get OLD mags to see if the pistol "redesign" was substantial. How do we reconcile the observation that all of a sudden, "2011" builders are now everywhere (NH, Chambers, Atlas, fowler, etc). Did they all have a revelation in design at the same time, or is it the magic in the mag? But then we come full circle on why we're needing a third generation of mags in just a few years.
    I mean if we do compare to Glock, we are at 5 Generations, and several small improvements that didnt rate a new gen.

Same with mags, 5 generations of Glock mags, with numerous generations in the followers and basepads. Look at the .40 Glocks and weaponlights issues.

User Tag List