Page 114 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1199

Thread: Teach me about STI guns

Site Supporter
    They were only $60 before the pandemic kicked in. It really isn't much worse than HK mags...

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that the magazines are $70 each...and they're still considered the weak link of the design.
    *Cries in MBX

Part of the reason I let my 1911 go and made the jump to a 2011(sti dvcL) was due to the Wilson/vickersmags it liked also cost $60 and seem work just as not well.

So this weekend I had the opportunity to put 100 rounds through a Staccato P (aka STI 2011). This was the latest generation fixed sight model (fiber optic front with adjustable Dawson rear), with a 4.45" barrel. Ammunition was a mix of 115 grain 9mm FMJ (Remington and Speer Lawman). There was a Surefire X300U-B attached for the entire session.

My first 5 round "get to know you" group at 5 yards resulted in a single hole not much bigger than the 9mm round. Pushing it out to 7 yards didn't change the result - 10 rounds inside a one-inch square. I pushed a B8 out to 25 yards and fired a five shot string, and found 4/5 shots in a decent group to the left of the B8 bullseye. I made a small adjustment to my sight picture, fired another five rounds, and was rewarded with 4/5 centered nicely in the 10 ring, with a called flyer below the bull. I can't help but think what kind of results I could achieve with an optic on this gun - it is accurate and easy to shoot well.

I tried a magazine with pairs to a 3x5 card, and another just shooting failure drills on a silhouette. Pairs are easy with this gun - the recoil is light and the sights come right back on target. As advertised, the gun shoots flat (the light on the end probably helps in this regard).

I was mixed on the grip module. There's a hot spot somewhere on that backstrap. I'm not sure if it was the grip safety, some aspect of where the ambi-safety mates with the frame, or something about the 2011 backstrap - but the grip left something to be desired.

I experienced one FTE while shooting, followed by a failure to lock back on an empty magazine. These malfunctions were with the same 20 round magazine. I suspect this is a bad magazine, and that particular 20 rounder has a weak spring. I'll note that these magazines did not have the latest 'G3' (GEN3) markings - supposedly the newest and latest third generation magazines have a stronger spring.

The range session did little to satiate my interest. It's a soft-shooting hi-cap with a 1911 trigger, and I can't help but wonder what kind of results I'd get with a DPO model. Still, the malfunction was concerning and gives me pause. Sadly it was not unexpected given earlier reports. I'm curious if the 17 round magazines are more reliable than the 20s? I also wonder if the G3 magazines solve this issue, or at least continue to burn down the problem. The grip hot spot was not endearing though - I'm not sure I'd want to put 500 rounds through the gun in a session (like that's going to happen anytime soon at current ammo prices).
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

The grip hot spot was not endearing though - I'm not sure I'd want to put 500 rounds through the gun in a session (like that's going to happen anytime soon at current ammo prices).
    I’ve been playing with a Staccato P yellow mold gun. While I like a lot of things about it, I do experience a lot of hot spots around the upper meat and thumb of my strong hand where I grip the gun. The various thumb safety, frame, and grip safety edges/corners are all very (negatively) noticeable. I’ve got a couple of guns over at Clark’s, and I wonder what a “Meltdown” of the various hand/gun interfaces would feel like.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I feel you.

I have a feeling my curiosity won't be satiated until I buy one, probably at my own expense down the road. I did this with the LTT (Great guns which I still own and enjoy). But, I'm back to carrying a Glock... Commander size 9mm with a 1911 trigger, portability, and slimness... I think I set myself up to never being satisfied. lol

So this weekend I had the opportunity to put 100 rounds through a Staccato P (aka STI 2011). This was the latest generation fixed sight model (fiber optic front with adjustable Dawson rear), with a 4.45" barrel. Ammunition was a mix of 115 grain 9mm FMJ (Remington and Speer Lawman). There was a Surefire X300U-B attached for the entire session.

My first 5 round "get to know you" group at 5 yards resulted in a single hole not much bigger than the 9mm round. Pushing it out to 7 yards didn't change the result - 10 rounds inside a one-inch square. I pushed a B8 out to 25 yards and fired a five shot string, and found 4/5 shots in a decent group to the left of the B8 bullseye. I made a small adjustment to my sight picture, fired another five rounds, and was rewarded with 4/5 centered nicely in the 10 ring, with a called flyer below the bull. I can't help but think what kind of results I could achieve with an optic on this gun - it is accurate and easy to shoot well.

I tried a magazine with pairs to a 3x5 card, and another just shooting failure drills on a silhouette. Pairs are easy with this gun - the recoil is light and the sights come right back on target. As advertised, the gun shoots flat (the light on the end probably helps in this regard).

I was mixed on the grip module. There's a hot spot somewhere on that backstrap. I'm not sure if it was the grip safety, some aspect of where the ambi-safety mates with the frame, or something about the 2011 backstrap - but the grip left something to be desired.

I experienced one FTE while shooting, followed by a failure to lock back on an empty magazine. These malfunctions were with the same 20 round magazine. I suspect this is a bad magazine, and that particular 20 rounder has a weak spring. I'll note that these magazines did not have the latest 'G3' (GEN3) markings - supposedly the newest and latest third generation magazines have a stronger spring.

The range session did little to satiate my interest. It's a soft-shooting hi-cap with a 1911 trigger, and I can't help but wonder what kind of results I'd get with a DPO model. Still, the malfunction was concerning and gives me pause. Sadly it was not unexpected given earlier reports. I'm curious if the 17 round magazines are more reliable than the 20s? I also wonder if the G3 magazines solve this issue, or at least continue to burn down the problem. The grip hot spot was not endearing though - I'm not sure I'd want to put 500 rounds through the gun in a session (like that's going to happen anytime soon at current ammo prices).

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    They were only $60 before the pandemic kicked in. It really isn't much worse than HK mags...
    Yea maybe but HK mags actually work.

The back of the left side grip safety and the edge of the boss on the frame below it hit the second joint of my right thumb just perfectly. So much so, that in a March 2020 Sage Dynamics Red Dot Instructor class, even though I was wearing gloves, I tore my skin and my thumb joint was swollen for weeks. We did shoot about 1200 rounds, but I just didn't want to shoot the gun after that. I took it to my smith for dehorning and it's like a different gun. Mine is a 2019 4.15" gun with the treebark texture grip frame. As to the mags, I have the old mags and put ISMI springs and Dawson Precision basepads on them. In about 1k rounds since fielding that combo, I have not had any malfunctions, even when running crap Win white box and frangible ammo. The bad news is that the mag springs are $10 each and the baseplates are $32 each. I am slowly converting all of my 20 rounders to this configuration.

I have a C2 coming. I’ll post some groupings and stuff as soon as it gets in. Should be a couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I then shot a Wilson CQB in 9mm side by side to the EDC. No comparison at all as the CQB had much less recoil and flatness in shooting relative to the EDC.
    That is consistent with my experience with my EDC X9 and several of my 9x19 1911 pistols. The EDC X9L is much more 1911-like in recoil than the EDC X9. The extra inch of barrel and slide means more weight, both reciprocating and non-reciprocating. The EDC X9L slide speed seems sluggish after shooting the EDC X9. My concern with the EDC X9L is reliability as it is essentially a 9x19 1911 upper. The sweet spot for length in a 1911 9x19 upper seems to be right around four inches.

On a timer, I shoot the EDC X9 faster than the G19.3 and G17.3. The EDC X9 is stupid easy for me to shoot, especially WHO, compared to the Glock. As I have reinjured my right wrist, the WHO results are driving my HW choices. Unfortunately I have no timer results with an EDC X9.

My C2 showed up today. It’s very nice. I’m planning on shooting it tomorrow.

User Tag List