Page 87 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about STI guns

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    Have the STI folks given up on this forum, this thread, and the users within?
    Probably.

Thats a shame. I know I am not in the financial position to buy one now, but I am looking to the future. If they are going to walk away from some pretty valuable feedback because it isn't what they want to hear, I'll stick with the G45 and just get the slide milled.

I fired one of their pro-shooters (Diana?) 2011s at a range day event, and at 25 yards I smoked a pie plate rack faster than I have ever done with a pistol. It didn't joke on the shitty ammo we were using. It felt brilliant in the hand. I have wanted a pair and a mess of mags since. Now I am left wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    Have the STI folks given up on this forum, this thread, and the users within?
    I can’t answer that re. PF Brian but I saw Buck earlier today on LF & also on 1911Forum & 1911Addicts in the last week or so.

I think the double stack 1911/2011 world should take note of the edc x9, and their use of Walther mags. The fact that the 2011-style of pistols are modular, should allow for some flexibility in using proven magazines.

I REALLY want to get on the 2011 train, but I'll wait till everything has settled, and there are no changes that I have to keep track of. It's also made me more sure of the 1911 build I have coming up later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Those MBX mags are good, out of the box? and they stay that way?
    The short answer is "maybe" but that's not super helpful. One of the big things here is that the patent's expired on the 2011 design, and in addition to STI's rolling changes, there are a ton of other component manufacturers out there that people are using for their guns, all with tolerance stacking questions. The easy way would be to ask your builder if you had a custom builder.

Last I heard, Phoenix Trinity included MBX mags with their Honcho pistols, and Chambers Custom included MBX mags with his guns. FWIW.

MBX mags generally get good press among competition shooters over on Enos, and that mirrors my experience/that of other competition guys I know locally. MBX magazines usually don't require much (if any) feedlip tuning out of the box, and they can be had with the sort of slim no lockback follower that competition guys want to maximize capacity. That's kind of the appeal, spend more, get something that "just works". But your gun might not like them, so test first. Your particular gun/ammo might need something else.

Competition guys tend to keep an eye on the springs in MBX mags and replace them as cheap insurance. It seems like most use more MBX springs as replacements, and some use Grams springs.

My personal experience is that I got MBX mags for my open gun about a year ago. I loaded them to capacity and let them sit for a few days like the instructions said so the spring could take a set. I've had no problems with them and no need to tune the feedlips or the mag body. I do keep them clean, and this is in a .38 SC Open gun, with comp, wimpy recoil spring and followers that never lock the slide back. Grip and frame are from LSI (since presentation height matters).

I would think they'd work better here, but can't say for certain. They did seem to help some of the guys in that Staccato P hollow point thread over at Enos someone linked a few pages back.

@Duke (or anyone else who'd want to try them), maybe buy one in 140mm and test? You'd have no trouble flipping it if it doesn't work.

Has anyone here touting the MBX magazines had a look at their pricing??

F it, let's put up the "Buck Signal" and see if we see any signs of life.
    @Buck8154 , could you update us on the current state of the 2011 and mag generational updates/changes/
    Thank you.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Has anyone here touting the MBX magazines had a look at their pricing??
    2011s arent for the faint of wallet unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Many people think the magazine in a semi-auto pistol is the single biggest component to overall reliability. If you agree with that analysis, it is hard to compare any STI magazine to a Glock 9mm magazine, in terms of reliability.

On the other hand, 2011 magazines have many virtues, like allowing you to hide substantial assets in a divorce proceeding, and not tape and set steel at matches, since it takes you several shooters to clean your magazines.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The last few pages of this thread is exactly why I’m really excited about the DWX. A true single action gun with vetted mass produced magazines and at a decent price point for both the pistol and magazines.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List