Page 103 of 120 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1199

Thread: Teach me about STI guns

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    It still puzzles me why they don't make steel single stacks. Yes, they were ugly, but that's fixable with standard serrations and normal checkering and such. The late, great Jerry Keefer used to say that he liked building guns on STI frames and slides because they were dimensionally near-perfect, especially when it came to pin locations. And we know Jerry was a true gunsmith, the type that could make a pistol out of a block of billet.

Dimensionally accurate frames and slides would likely mean parts would "drop-in" easier and the final product would be more consistent.
    I have a STI SENTRY 1911 I picked up used off the ODT in Atlanta - package deal of the STI SENTRY and a SA Range Officer 5inch in 9mm that was customized. The STI SENTRY steel frame 1911 45ACP is very nice. It is discontinued.

Well I just learned how awesome Staccato/StI customer service is!!! Just picked up a beautiful Costa Host, that had been to the range once. Love it, but really wanted to swap the Factory installed Vortex Viper for an RMR. Received an extremely prompt email, and Shawn Armstrong said send it to us and we’ll hook you up with the new and improved optic plate. So I sent them the pistol and a new RMR, and Shawn said he would install and op-chk/zero! Talk about awesome customer service!!

Teach me about STI guns

My 2020 Staccato P had problems with the Gen 2 mags dropping free. I contacted Buck at STI who promptly had Shawn Armstrong reach out to me. Shawn was kind enough to furnish an RMA, and STI paid shipping both ways. From door to door, my pistol was gone for a grand total of six days, and mags fly out of the grip like greased lightning now. Stellar customer service from start to finish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have my Staccato C2 up to about 1250 or 1500 rounds give or take now. The extractor required a minor adjustment but otherwise it is rock solid. The trigger in the 4 pound range breaks cleanly and predictably. The ambi safety is properly fitted and very positive. Although I'm right handed, I like the full size right side paddle. The grip safety is properly adjusted. Overall the attention to detail on the gun is great. No issues with 16, 17, 20, and 27 round Gen 2 magazines. I have about fifteen total now. Big fan of the LAS Concealment AIWB holster but currently on the hunt for something to accommodate a TLR-7A.Name:  IMG_20200613_142250.jpg
Views: 4203
Size:  103.9 KB

I went with the non-DUO gun and had a Chambers RDSM installed. I really like the RDSM and recommend it. There irons forward configuration was new to me and although it is claimed online that you can use a standard front sight, that simply is not the case for me. I still need to calculate the correct height and get one ordered. The RDSM, installed, is cheaper than the DUO. The RMR sits lower than the DUO, and the rear sight is much lower and minimalist. Having to send the slide out and being limited to the RMR footprint are maybe downsides.

Just hit 10k in 3 months with my Staccato P. Now that it's friggin hot here I think my round count will slow down a bit. The pistol feels the same as it did at about 2500 rounds, in that it smoothed out by then and hasn't changed since. At this point the pistol is pretty intuitive to run now that the reps are up between live fire and dry-fire. I took about 2 weeks off for vacation/other stuff, so it was good to take a break and saw some good scores on my usual drills at last range session.

I've been up to a few thousand rounds without cleaning, but it seems to be 4-500 round range sessions and every third or fourth range trip it get's cleaned cycle. My advice, just keep it lubed and it'll keep running whether dirty or not.

Dawson Precision is offering the recoil springs, but Hilton Yam mentioned that a commander length spring is correct for these during one of his Youtube videos. I'll end up swapping out at my next cleaning just to keep it properly sprung.

At this point, I think a second one is in order and have the Chambers RDSM done for a dot version.

Name:  20200421_144303r.jpg
Views: 1847
Size:  100.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    My 2020 Staccato P had problems with the Gen 2 mags dropping free. I contacted Buck at STI who promptly had Shawn Armstrong reach out to me. Shawn was kind enough to furnish an RMA, and STI paid shipping both ways. From door to door, my pistol was gone for a grand total of six days, and mags fly out of the grip like greased lightning now. Stellar customer service from start to finish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had the exact same experience. They replaced the grip on mine and had it back in less than a week.

P 4.4 w/ RDSM and RMR

Quote Originally Posted by NGCSUGrad09 View Post
    Just hit 10k in 3 months with my Staccato P. Now that it's friggin hot here I think my round count will slow down a bit. The pistol feels the same as it did at about 2500 rounds, in that it smoothed out by then and hasn't changed since. At this point the pistol is pretty intuitive to run now that the reps are up between live fire and dry-fire. I took about 2 weeks off for vacation/other stuff, so it was good to take a break and saw some good scores on my usual drills at last range session.

I've been up to a few thousand rounds without cleaning, but it seems to be 4-500 round range sessions and every third or fourth range trip it get's cleaned cycle. My advice, just keep it lubed and it'll keep running whether dirty or not.

Dawson Precision is offering the recoil springs, but Hilton Yam mentioned that a commander length spring is correct for these during one of his Youtube videos. I'll end up swapping out at my next cleaning just to keep it properly sprung.

At this point, I think a second one is in order and have the Chambers RDSM done for a dot version.

Name:  20200421_144303r.jpg
Views: 1847
Size:  100.4 KB
    Wow - I really need to work to 10k. I'm at 5.7k split between two guns. Much respect.

I just got a P 4.4 back from an RDSM install. Running an RMR. After zero, I tried the Defoor Hat Qual and was able to pass 2/3 times. I can't normally pass at this kind of speed using irons.

Quote Originally Posted by Controlledpairs2 View Post
    Wow - I really need to work to 10k. I'm at 5.7k split between two guns. Much respect.

I just got a P 4.4 back from an RDSM install. Running an RMR.
    Can you share what the RDSM cost you?

Looks like the front sight is a normal height. Is the RDSM setup low enough to use standard sights?

I was hawking the CHPWS milling + plate + front sight deal:
    http://chpws.com/product/1911-2011-o...-adapter-plate

CHPWS is lower than the STI DUO. But based on your pictures, the RDSM might be lower yet. I have not done any reading on the rear sight ahead of the optic, but that is next on my list.

Up to 1500 rounds in my Staccato P. This Neumount was on my 22 suppressor host but I wanted to see if I could better my irons only groups at 25 yards. New projects have taken up all my time but hope to shoot this in the next week.

Photo didn't work

My photo didn't load - hope it works now: Name:  IMG_1507.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  38.5 KB

RDSM cost me $150 from Chambers and another $125 for install.

I actually didn't think to see the POI/POA for the irons, but from where the zero'd dot sits, seems very close. I'll see what it does at 25yds.

Who did you go with for the install? And did you have the slide refinished?

User Tag List