Page 83 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about STI guns

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Tell your DPP friends to hurry up

More MRDS for pistols is always great.
    Covid 19 is screwing up supply chains big time.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Covid 19 is screwing up supply chains big time.
    Tell me about it... I got some projects that are looking to be $$$ over budget due to COVID-19 shutting shit down...

While some of the other sub-forums might be better for this, I figure this can add to the 2011 knowledge base.

First update is I installed an X-Line Vario Trigger Short Curve trigger. These are imported by Atlas Gunworks, and offer an interesting take on the trigger shoe. You can buy different shapes and lengths to suit your hand size and trigger preference. I went with the short, curved as that style has worked well on conventional 1911s for me. After doing a lot of dry-fire, I was finding that I was getting inconsistent trigger finger placement during one-hand only operation due to the trigger reach. So far this seems to have solved that for me. Other notes:
    - The trigger feels a little "cleaner" with the metal trigger versus the polymer.
    - For fitting, I coated all 4 sides with dry-erase marker and kept inserting and removing, chasing high spots until it just barely went in but would slide up and drop down freely when the grip was pointed down. The stock trigger had a little play in it, but this one has not extra movement. I removed material from the frame which made the stock unit looser, however my logic is if I didn't like the short, curved trigger the frame would fit any of the replacement triggers that could drop in, instead of having to fit another trigger. And the trigger is anodized aluminum and didn't want to soften the material by eating through anodizing without a way of refinishing it myself.
    - The polish on the trigger bar was much nicer than the stock unit.

Name:  20200418_140546.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  61.7 KB

Second is I got my Safariland ALS holster in for a Springfield Operator. While not 100% drop in, it was the easiest option for a non-light retention holster. The magazine release makes contact before the gun was fully inserted. With some quick work via a hacksaw, files and sandpaper I had something custom fit. I only did the inside portion of the holster. I installed a 1911 Nub-Mod as it's much easier to reach with the safety guard in the way. After testing it I wanted to re-profile that safety guard for easier reach to the retention release knob. Finally, what good is a black holster on a brown/camo belt... I only had two shades of brown in the garage so went with some tan and brown tiger stripe.

As far as it would go stock.
    Name:  20200418_145527.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  62.2 KB

Clearanced for a check fit
    Name:  20200418_150706.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  40.5 KB

Nub-Mod and re-profile
    Name:  ALSClearance.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  88.8 KB

All Done
    Name:  20200418_162659.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  89.6 KB

Luckily the Springfield's these were modeled after have adjustable rear sights..as you can see this is tight but as best as I can tell isn't making contact with the rear sight.
    Name:  20200418_163211.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  22.4 KB

I would assume Infinity's line of triggers would work as well. They've been doing the interchangeable trigger shoes for a long time

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    It drives me a little crazy that the iron sight plate for the P Duo has a fixed rear while the regular Staccato P has the adjustable. Maybe I am in the minority but I have experienced noticeable POI shifts (both windage and elevation) with various pistols from different brands of ammo, and since I buy whatever is cheap at the time I don't want to have to drift my rear sight back and forth every month. Then again I am too poor to buy a STI so it doesn't really affect me, just thought it was odd given that STI clearly understands the value of the adjustable rear sight on the standard model.
    No, you are just stuck in old thinking.

The optic IS an adjustable sight. The others are just back ups. The future is now old man.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No, you are just stuck in old thinking.

The optic IS an adjustable sight. The others are just back ups. The future is now old man.
    I think you have misunderstood my point. I am aware that the red dot is adjustable, I shoot a P320 with SRO on it for USPSA. However, if I wanted to shoot irons, I can easily remove my dot plate and use the adjustable rear sight with no optic.

I have no qualms with a fixed rear backup sight when the red dot is attached. I just think it's silly to have a plate which is irons only, that is fixed, when the regular model has an adjustable rear sight.

All in all this is a silly gripe and I'm annoyed at myself that I feel compelled to explain it, but for the price of a $2500 gun you'd think they'd at least consider it.

Edit: maybe I misunderstood you? My sarcasm meter is broken.
    Last edited by Eyesquared; 04-21-2020 at 05:07 PM.

As an update, another 750 through the Staccato P. 400 rounds were 135gr Brazos Moly bullets plus another 200 or so Hornady HAPs, plus a box of Hornady American Gunner and an old magazine's worth of Winchester Ranger 147s from my carry Glock. I had one FTF where one of the Moly bullets had a deformation and dragged on the magazine, preventing feeding. This trip had the lighter recoil spring in it to try, and it didn't disappoint with my reloads. The gun ran very smoothly, but the American Gunner and Rangers had noticeably more recoil than with the normal/stock spring.

Name:  20200421_145056r.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  79.9 KB

I shot speed stuff, accuracy stuff and combo of each. It's very easy to shoot this pistol well, but if I let bad habits from Glocks come in it can miss the target. By that, remember to operate the trigger straight back and not shank through the operation!

5 Rounds at 15yards checking sight zero after ammo swap to HAPs
    Name:  20200421_145257r.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  42.0 KB

Here's a pic of Kyle Defoor's Hat Qual drill, 10rds at 25yards in 20 seconds or less with a score of 90 or better.
    Name:  20200421_152330.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  30.4 KB

Pistol so far at 1,200 rounds without cleaning. The Lucas Oil lube seems to be holding up just fine.
    Name:  20200421_144303r.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  100.4 KB

Site Supporter
    I think you have misunderstood my point. I am aware that the red dot is adjustable, I shoot a P320 with SRO on it for USPSA. However, if I wanted to shoot irons, I can easily remove my dot plate and use the adjustable rear sight with no optic.

I have no qualms with a fixed rear backup sight when the red dot is attached. I just think it's silly to have a plate which is irons only, that is fixed, when the regular model has an adjustable rear sight.

All in all this is a silly gripe and I'm annoyed at myself that I feel compelled to explain it, but for the price of a $2500 gun you'd think they'd at least consider it.

Edit: maybe I misunderstood you? My sarcasm meter is broken.
    Since you mentioned sarcasm, I think it's silly I'm not married to Salma Hayek, yet somehow she wound up with a French Billionaire. :-)

The SIG's schtick is it's a modular gun. Nothing else on the market I'm aware of has that type of modularity. I think expecting that modularity out of an older platform is unreasonable.

Relatively cheap polymer frame striker guns have re-set some of our expectations. $2,500 is a lot of money for a striker fired plastic people popper, but it's entry level or below for a quality 1911/2011. The fact STI can now crank out a 2011 in that price range which will run with Glock 17 like reliability, is, itself, quite an achievement.

Dots on pistols are the future, its a matter of when, not if.

Now that the patent on the 2011 design has expired most competition shooters are building 2011s not buying them from STI, hence STI's move into the LE/MIL/GOV market. I don't see what you are asking for as a viable product for STI's current business model.

A modular adjustable sight that fit on the DPP foot print sounds more like an aftermarket opportunity for someone like Dawson.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-22-2020 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Since you mentioned sarcasm, I think it's silly I'm not married to Salma Hayek, yet somehow she wound up with a French Billionaire. :-)

The SIG's schtick is it's a modular gun. Nothing else on the market I'm aware of has that type of modularity. I think expecting that modularity out of an older platform is unreasonable.

Relatively cheap polymer frame striker guns have re-set some of our expectations. $2,500 is a lot of money for a striker fired plastic people popper, but it's entry level or below for a quality 1911/2011. The fact STI can now crank out a 2011 in that price range which will run with Glock 17 like reliability, is, itself, quite an achievement.

Dots on pistols are the future, its a matter of when, not if.

Now that the patent on the 2011 design has expired most competition shooters are building 2011s not buying them from STI, hence STI's move into the LE/MIL/GOV market. I don't see what you are asking for as a viable product for STI's current business model.

A modular adjustable sight that fit on the DPP foot print sounds more like an aftermarket opportunity for someone like Dawson.
    Fair enough. It sounds like the choice of an adjustable rear on the regular Staccato P is a bit of an unpopular move as I am already seeing people asking for a fixed replacement sight from 10-8. I know I am in the minority for preferring adjustable rear irons on pretty much any pistol. So practically speaking an adjustable rear ironsight plate on the Staccato P Duo sounds like a money losing product.

Site Supporter
    Fair enough. It sounds like the choice of an adjustable rear on the regular Staccato P is a bit of an unpopular move as I am already seeing people asking for a fixed replacement sight from 10-8. I know I am in the minority for preferring adjustable rear irons on pretty much any pistol. So practically speaking an adjustable rear ironsight plate on the Staccato P Duo sounds like a money losing product.
    I would run an adjustable rear iron sight on my duty gun but I would not want to issue them.

User Tag List