Page 89 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about STI guns

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    John Harrison taught me much the same back in 2001, which is why he built me a 9x23 Winchester with an extra 9x19 barrel and recoil guts when I got serious about 9mm 1911 pistols. John also emphasized that the 9x19 recoil impulse is marginal with a five-inch steel slide. He used to tell me that 9x19 was "on the edge" of running in a 1911.
    When I asked Jim Garthwaite about building me a 9mm 1911, he said, "Sure, I'll build you a HiPower". But, seriously, he said if I wanted a 9mm, he would recommend a commander, as the slide mass is less, and the cycle stroke/speed would match the 9mm batter

On 1911 addicts, there were several mentions of STI developing new magazines and something along the lines of one that is dedicated for 9mm.

Seems like certain shaped bullets were causing more issues than others.

Quote Originally Posted by porkster View Post
    These are brand new Gen 2 magazines on a 10 round compliant 126mm version. Not entirely sure what it is, but the top round is not uniformly supported by the round below it and can be tilted down with your finger.

Attachment 53489

Attachment 53490

The gun has never been fired as it is brand new as well but in hand racking, slide release on a full mag, etc. it seems to function and feed just fine despite the above.

Some observations:

The magazine dimensions along the bullet length (think front to rear sights longitudinally of the pistol) seem to be quite a bit longer than the bullet giving a bit of empty space.
    The feed lips that hold the top round have less surface contact than your typical 9mm guns (Glock, Beretta, etc)

I have MBX mags in .40 for my Edge so it wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison, but if anyone has MBX 9mm magazines, I'd be curious about how the top round looks and sits.
    I would shoot it first and see.

My mags don't have a lot of tension on the top round. To the point where every once in awhile, I can eject the mag after cycling the slide and the top round will drop loose, out of the mag well. Despite this, the gun functions 100% with no signs of anything being wrong. The thing is too much feed lip, won't allow the round to slip under the extractor like it needs to in the xx11 system. So the 9mm needs a fairly short feed lip.

The challenge and if I were going to guess, there is a timing issue (barrel setup), combined with a magazine tolerance stacking in the current STIs. FYI - the more rounds you cram into an STI tube - the lower chances are of it functioning correctly. I also am running the 120mm mags, as opposed to 140s and I'm wondering if that is making a difference in my reliability envelope. I'm not sure WHY that would happen, but I suspect it's kind of like cramming 8-rounds in a 7-round tube length of a standard 1911. I also only load 15 in my mags. Not because they become unreliable, but because I like dividing by 5 (OCD), but what the hell like voodoo maybe that's got something to do with it.

___

As it is, I do love my STI and I won't be getting rid of it. But now that I see Cajun Gun Works can get a CZ DA trigger down to 6-pounds - I'm reconsidering a TDA gun...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    As it is, I do love my STI and I won't be getting rid of it. But now that I see Cajun Gun Works can get a CZ DA trigger down to 6-pounds - I'm reconsidering a TDA gun...
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

@RevolverRob do you have pistol ADHD?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    That sounds like horse shit.

It was made in a modern day factory in Texas 3 months ago .....

Not in a factory in Russia in 1943
    Well, I can tell you that once I exorcised whatever the hell mine was coated in for shipping solved all issues.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Well, I can tell you that once I exorcised whatever the hell mine was coated in for shipping solved all issues.
    He's not wrong on stuff sitting in shipping containers or warehouses for months or even longer on end for international customers. We are spoiled with a short lead time from factory to dealer in the US.. overseas and dealing with governments, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    @RevolverRob do you have pistol ADHD?
    1800%

Gun of the month club? No.

Gun of the year club? Maybe.

Gun of every two years club? Definitely.

I didn't even buy a gun last year...So I'm definitely behind.

So far, I'm up to two this year, with two-three-four more before end of the year...

Site Supporter
    Any reports from LAPD Metro on how they are doing?

It may be in the thread already and I just didn’t see it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Any reports from LAPD Metro on how they are doing?

It may be in the thread already and I just didn’t see it.
    There’s a user on Instagram named patient0zero who appears to be a Metro officer. He regularly posts about how great the guns are doing and how well his personal STI guns do as well. I’d be interested in finding out the exact specs of the Metro guns and learning what’s different from the commercial guns. All I know is that from the photos they appear to be 5” guns with lightening cuts in the slide.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List