Page 113 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1199

Thread: Teach me about STI guns

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post

I really want to get onto a double stack 9mm 1911, but until the gunsmiths I trust say they're a go, I'll pass. Years ago, when I asked Jim Garthwaite if he would build me a 9mm 1911, he replied, "Sure, I'll build you a HiPower". And that's what I did this week, as I made the move on a custom HiPower.

I also wanted to get into a double stack 1911. When STI(I realize they changed their name to Staccato) was having their promotions I shot a few guns out of their lineup.

I shot my Elite LTT as well and donÂ’t feel I am really leaving anything on the table with how well it shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I am very pleased that Wilson designed the EDC X9 around a proven magazine and with a four-inch slide as that is as close to a double stack 1911 as I am likely to own and shoot.
    So the EDC X9/Experion series from Wilson Combat naturally come to mind when discussing the STI/Staccato offerings. Both are essentially high capacity 9mm 1911s, though the designs clearly depart when the frames are compared. When the Staccato is mentioned, they are typically lauded for their flat-shooting nature and all-around "shoot-ability". The Wilson Combat guns never seem to receive the same endorsement. Has anyone compared to the two directly?
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    I also wanted to get into a double stack 1911. When STI(I realize they changed their name to Staccato) was having their promotions I shot a few guns out of their lineup.

I shot my Elite LTT as well and donÂ’t feel I am really leaving anything on the table with how well it shoots.
    I don’t think you are either if it’s a full custom LTT gun. As second story guy mentioned part of the reason I traded into my PD well was because it’s made in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    On my short list pending end of year bonus. 😎
    You tell them folks I said you get double bonus this year, ya hear??

Seriously, a Wilson 9 or 10 rounder in the gun, a 10 rounder or 2 for reloads, and its a quite manageable load.
    CCO is the answer for every day carry, at least for me.
    The recoil impulse is different, I think it's one of its best attributes.
    I'll probably get it milled for a dot as soon as they make one that @GJM can't break.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    CCO is the answer for every day carry, at least for me.
    Nighthawk milled my cco for the RMR, and I couldn’t be happier

Site Supporter
    JS
    I have maybe 200-250 rounds of 135 hornady critical duty thru a USMS SOG Stacatto. Very accurate and flat shooting as advertised.

A few weeks later, I shot a Wilson EDC 9. certainly a nice gun. Felt recoil was similar to a Glock 19. The ammo shot was 124 g American Eagle if I recall correctly. Maybe 100rds max.

My brief exposure would lead me to believe that a staccato would be flatter feeling than an EDC by a considerable margin.

I then shot a Wilson CQB in 9mm side by side to the EDC. No comparison at all as the CQB had much less recoil and flatness in shooting relative to the EDC.

A staccato v CQB is a much closer call than I am not sure I can make given my limited exposure and the passage of time.

I fully acknowledge these are merely data points at best. No timed drills or any objective comparisons were made.

I am eagerly awaiting the availability of the Dan Wesson DWX.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    JS
    I have maybe 200-250 rounds of 135 hornady critical duty thru a USMS SOG Stacatto. Very accurate and flat shooting as advertised.

A few weeks later, I shot a Wilson EDC 9. certainly a nice gun. Felt recoil was similar to a Glock 19. The ammo shot was 124 g American Eagle if I recall correctly. Maybe 100rds max.

My brief exposure would lead me to believe that a staccato would be flatter feeling than an EDC by a considerable margin.

I then shot a Wilson CQB in 9mm side by side to the EDC. No comparison at all as the CQB had much less recoil and flatness in shooting relative to the EDC.

A staccato v CQB is a much closer call than I am not sure I can make given my limited exposure and the passage of time..
    Thanks - I haven't shot a Staccato, but I've a lot of time behind a 9mm CQB and have shot the EDC X9. That's a helpful comparison.

I’ve been debating ordering a Staccato C2 for a few weeks. Mainly because I enjoy Glocks and have been putting money in to other gun stuff but I noticed they took off the fast track option. I wonder if that’s because they are getting too backed up? It was $275 to guarantee getting the gun within 21 days or something but yea not even an option anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    My worry is that there have been so many revisions over the past couple years, all the while as being touted as "duty ready". Are they MORE duty ready after the revisions? And typically the magazine aftermarket aims to duplicate the factory reliability of magazines at a lower cost. Yet it's inverted when it comes to 2011, as Atlas, MBX, etc., all claim to improve the 2011 mag, at quite the premium.

I really want to get onto a double stack 9mm 1911, but until the gunsmiths I trust say they're a go, I'll pass. Years ago, when I asked Jim Garthwaite if he would build me a 9mm 1911, he replied, "Sure, I'll build you a HiPower". And that's what I did this week, as I made the move on a custom HiPower.
    I carry a G17 for work, and run a Kimber and Dan Wesson on my own time & dime. For what it is worth, I would straight up trade the DW for my friends Stacatto P.

As for more "duty ready" or "generations", I shoot and carry a Gen "4" Glock......

It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that the magazines are $70 each...and they're still considered the weak link of the design.

User Tag List