Page 38 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about STI guns

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    How would this be solely and STI problem?

Any front sight coming loose will be an issue.

We could argue the likely hood of lose dovetails, Improper staking, loose Glock sight nuts etc....but again how will this be a blanket Sti issue ?
    Or even a fiber optic issue? I’m sure a decent hit would knock a tritium sight out of position in a dovetail as well.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Based on having broken a number of them over the years, I do not consider a Dawson fiber optic front sight to be duty grade. In addition, this one apparently was not staked or fit properly when installed, as the sight displaced when it touched the soft wood around a port during recoil. Clearly this is not “solely a STI issue,” but surely this doesn’t reflect well on the proposition of using these pistols for duty use if this front sight and method of installation is common on the pistols they are marketing to LE.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Based on having broken a number of them over the years, I do not consider a Dawson fiber optic front sight to be duty grade. In addition, this one apparently was not staked or fit properly when installed, as the sight displaced when it touched the soft wood around a port during recoil. Clearly this is not “solely a STI issue,” but surely this doesn’t reflect well on the proposition of using these pistols for duty use if this front sight and method of installation is common on the pistols they are marketing to LE.
    Fair.

Aren’t there a large portion of guns that can be or are often fitted with Dawson sight by preference?

Be interesting to see how they’re holding up as a whole

I haven’t looked closely at their 1911 front sights lately, but I would like to look at the 10-8 and Trijicon fiber fronts to see if they are built tougher. Also I would like to see them staked in the dovetail like Beretta OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I haven’t looked closely at their 1911 front sights lately, but I would like to look at the 10-8 and Trijicon fiber fronts to see if they are built tougher. Also I would like to see them staked in the dovetail like Beretta OEM.
    I have seen some hard use 10-8 front sights on duty 1911s. They seem to be the only ones built to handle duty use. No way to not break the fiber optic sometimes, but the housing itself is stout and you still have a front post to use.

I was very unimpressed with the Dawson fiber front I tried on a p10c. Housing seemed weak compared to the Wilson I had used and a 10-8 I installed for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a fan of fiber optic fronts but the Dawson on my Staccato seems like it’s fit tight and is a bit beefier than the others I have seen in this skyscraper height. Anyone know who actually makes the sights for 10-8? Be pretty funny if it was actually subbed out to Dawson. I have to agree that no matter the type of front sight or manufacturer if not fit properly it’s gonna move if bumped hard enough. I have had an HK front or two that I was able to push out with very little pressure by hand.
    Name:  0C3B144A-B521-4DBE-9771-1F81287D631E.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  45.9 KB

Our front sights on the duty guns are much thicker than the one spec’d on the combat master, as the cm was a competition gun. I am unaware of any of our duty guns coming in on warranty issues for front sight creep, other than a couple of the lapd metro guns as they spec’d a very narrow competition front aight, and a couple of them bent. As far as sights prior to Dawson, we had constant issues with our previous tritium front sights, to include tritium viles falling out during evaluations.
    I’ll try means I’ll fail, you either can or can’t, and can’t never got anything done.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck8154 View Post
    Our front sights on the duty guns are much thicker than the one spec’d on the combat master, as the cm was a competition gun. I am unaware of any of our duty guns coming in on warranty issues for front sight creep, other than a couple of the lapd metro guns as they spec’d a very narrow competition front aight, and a couple of them bent. As far as sights prior to Dawson, we had constant issues with our previous tritium front sights, to include tritium viles falling out during evaluations.
    Good info — a thicker/stronger front sight and perhaps staking seems a great solution.

From another forum.

We as a company came under new management in January 2018, the entire executive staff is now all prior/retired military, to include myself, as the director of leo/mil sales, and am a retired Marine. Our guns made since March of 2018 are nothing like any of the QC nightmare stuff that had been put out for the previous decade. We have submitted, completed, and won numerous leo test an evals in excess of 50,000 ads of testing to certain guns. All with factory guns, not tuned, or treated any different in manufacturing for the evals. Since last summer I have put a little over 3,000 STI's into leo hands for duty use. I think most people will be surprised at a couple of the larger contracts that i just secured last week, that have not been announced yet. As far as round counts, Long Beach SWAT and the US Marshals Special Operations Group (SOG) have the highest round count on T&E guns prior to, and after fielding our guns. LBPD still has the 3 T&E guns I left with them a year ago, and all are at very high round counts on original, untuned, factory magazines.

As far as holsters, yes safari land is dragging their feet...short of modding an existing safari land for a railed 1911, you have weber tactical, midwest tactical solutions, long shadow holsters making level 2/3 holsters for our guns. Blackpoint Tactical also makes a level 2

Sample of 2

Slide lock reloads - will- bend your Sti (and like most other ) 2011 ejector due to over insertion.

A Dawson mag lock will prevent over insertion.

This is a portion of reason 2011 race guns don’t lock open when empty - that and the gun is never shot to empty in a match.

I’d also recommend this ejector https://02b8b90.netsolstores.com/eje...nce-tuned.aspx

And the Dawson reverse drill bit https://dawsonprecision.com/ejector-...for-1911-2011/

These guns are not zero maintenance disposables and do need a discovery period to compare the idiosyncrasies to your own expectations.

For me it’s worth it for the unmatched shootability. One can argue it’s the shooter not the gun. Agreed but there aren’t any Toyota tercels in formula one.
    Last edited by Duke; 11-18-2019 at 07:22 PM.

User Tag List