Page 76 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about STI guns

Quote Originally Posted by rca90gsx View Post
    The Omni/new DVC-P have been at the top of my wish list since the Omni first came out. Very nice setup!!!
    Thank you.

It is truly an amazing combination.

I don’t think it an end of the world flugaloo style gun. But when it’s it clean and lubed with good ammo and fresh springs it’s untouchable.

[QUOTE=GJM;1022516]
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck8154 View Post

Thoughts on 9 vs 45? My local shop, that stocks the line, only has an R in 9 on order.
    I don’t own an STI, but I have sworn off 5” 9mm 1911’s. I only have 1 left, a WC Supergrade (Pinnacle). It’s the only 5” 9mm I’ve had run flawlessly out of the box. The rest have required a variety of work.

If I were to order a 5” 1911 pattern pistol...45 is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Nosedive from slide lock.

Hmm. I know a guy that had that same experience with 30 Gen 2 mags (that don’t need tuning or stronger springs )

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have been watching that too - surprised it had not come up in this thread yet

Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Come out with a 4”ish 9mm version with the DUO system and I’m all over it. 5” 9mm is just too much slide to cartridge ratio and I’m sold on the new 9mm ammo being entirely adequate. I’m good with a single stack 10 round magazine that I can buy from multiple sources without having to “tweak” it into working.
    Last edited by Rick R; 04-03-2020 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have been watching that too - surprised it had not come up in this thread yet
    It has.

This my copy and paste reply via PM when folks ask me what happened with mine.

Keep in mind that I love these guns....and I can buy about anything I want so whether or not it works won’t hurt my feelings. “If it works I’ll use it, if not I’ll dump it” is what I came into the 2011 experiment thinking

Some of the well known custom builders will echo the below as a way to fix yours.

And yes. Gen 2 mags are better but they are not in my test of 30 - good to go out of the box

I’ve seen it in implied elsewhere that the “new” gen 2 mags which are black are better than the new gen 2 mags in Stainless. And the 2020 guns are totally different to the 2019 Guns - though if demand is so high it can’t be met then I fail to see how a complete re-tool in that time frame has been accomplished.

Anyway.

For a 2011 9mm to work -

We have to overcome that the gun was designed around a bigger bullet with a longer overall length and recoil Impulse.

And he double stack mag is super wide then narrows to a single stack feed arrangement.

The slide velocity is Lower this the recoil spring power is also.

We need the bullets to point up at the feed ramp because they are covering a bigger distance than a 45 with less slide force to push them in.

We can’t just have a super strong mag spring because you’ll get false slide lock as the not yet chambered round moves in the mag and won’t overcome the light recoil spring.

It sounds hokey but the feed lip tuning isn’t that big a deal.

The front that touches the bullet need to be 5 thousandths wider than the front so the bullet will point up. .348- 350 in the back ..352-355 in the front is where mine are set and they all work now.

Interesting that Mike Pannone posted recently in Instagram about how there are no issues with self-defense ammo.

I’d love to try one some day, but I’ll just let it all play out right now.

Besides, I really just want a 92LTT with an RDS... lol

That’s a little concerning, especially because I was fixing to call and order one a few days ago...and it was going to be for duty use (being fed HSTs). I’m kinda pissed because I really wanted one of these blasters to wear at work on “fancy gun Friday’s”.

Seems there was an issue with the GEN2 frame and a new magazine release?
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List