Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: .41 Special Commercial Loadings

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Everybody loves a fine revolver. The .41 Spl will still have heft and bulk making it a GREAT handgun for concealed carry.
    Fixed that for you. I can conceal an N-frame, and a K frame, so anything in the middle should be doable. I think a 3" barrel would be about perfect.
    This is a terrible project to consider.
    Alright, headed back to Gun Broker, just to "look".
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Willie,

Powder position in the case influences burn rate. The larger the case, the more variability; so filling the case is at least theoretically better, so smaller cases for smaller charges are better. If the void is big enough the powder can detonate.
    I agree. A good example would be a light charge of Bullseye in a .45 Colt case. Those shooting light loads in rifle cases have to be careful especially. Seating depth also controls case volume. A lighter bullet seated father forward in the case takes up less room than a heavier bullet. My guess is that designers would develop the revolver around the shorter case to prevent full power magnum loads from stressing a less robust revolver, or to discourage use of warm reloads. I have not compared spl and magnum .41 brass, but unless the length difference is significant, theoretical gains from using the shorter case may not be realized. 1/10 inch won't make much difference, if any.

I agree. A good example would be a light charge of Bullseye in a .45 Colt case. Those shooting light loads in rifle cases have to be careful especially. Seating depth also controls case volume. A lighter bullet seated father forward in the case takes up less room than a heavier bullet. My guess is that designers would develop the revolver around the shorter case to prevent full power magnum loads from stressing a less robust revolver, or to discourage use of warm reloads. I have not compared spl and magnum .41 brass, but unless the length difference is significant, theoretical gains from using the shorter case may not be realized. 1/10 inch won't make much difference, if any.
    When my order arrives, I will mic it and post the results. I look forward to you all who have a lot more reloading experience than me commenting on if it will make a difference.
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Revolver Enabler-in-Chief Stephanie B's Avatar
    I have not compared spl and magnum .41 brass, but unless the length difference is significant, theoretical gains from using the shorter case may not be realized. 1/10 inch won't make much difference, if any.
    The difference is 0.125", according to the Interwebs.

Bowen's not doing S&W work anymore.
    Former professional pain-in-the-@ss.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    What we need is to find a case of unfired, factory engraved Colt .41 Army Specials in the attic.
    FIFY. If you're going to dream, dream big.
    I am Jack's complete lack of outrage.

Revolver Enabler-in-Chief Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    FIFY. If you're going to dream, dream big.
    We need someone with a spare million bucks to place an order for a thousand or so 3" .41 Special L-frames or GP100s
    Former professional pain-in-the-@ss.

User Tag List