Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: .41 Special Commercial Loadings

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Everybody loves a fine revolver. The .41 Spl will still have heft and bulk making it a GREAT handgun for concealed carry.
    Fixed that for you. I can conceal an N-frame, and a K frame, so anything in the middle should be doable. I think a 3" barrel would be about perfect.
    This is a terrible project to consider.
    Alright, headed back to Gun Broker, just to "look".
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Willie,

Powder position in the case influences burn rate. The larger the case, the more variability; so filling the case is at least theoretically better, so smaller cases for smaller charges are better. If the void is big enough the powder can detonate.
    I agree. A good example would be a light charge of Bullseye in a .45 Colt case. Those shooting light loads in rifle cases have to be careful especially. Seating depth also controls case volume. A lighter bullet seated father forward in the case takes up less room than a heavier bullet. My guess is that designers would develop the revolver around the shorter case to prevent full power magnum loads from stressing a less robust revolver, or to discourage use of warm reloads. I have not compared spl and magnum .41 brass, but unless the length difference is significant, theoretical gains from using the shorter case may not be realized. 1/10 inch won't make much difference, if any.

I agree. A good example would be a light charge of Bullseye in a .45 Colt case. Those shooting light loads in rifle cases have to be careful especially. Seating depth also controls case volume. A lighter bullet seated father forward in the case takes up less room than a heavier bullet. My guess is that designers would develop the revolver around the shorter case to prevent full power magnum loads from stressing a less robust revolver, or to discourage use of warm reloads. I have not compared spl and magnum .41 brass, but unless the length difference is significant, theoretical gains from using the shorter case may not be realized. 1/10 inch won't make much difference, if any.
    When my order arrives, I will mic it and post the results. I look forward to you all who have a lot more reloading experience than me commenting on if it will make a difference.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I have not compared spl and magnum .41 brass, but unless the length difference is significant, theoretical gains from using the shorter case may not be realized. 1/10 inch won't make much difference, if any.
    The difference is 0.125", according to the Interwebs.

Bowen's not doing S&W work anymore.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    What we need is to find a case of unfired, factory engraved Colt .41 Army Specials in the attic.
    FIFY. If you're going to dream, dream big.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    FIFY. If you're going to dream, dream big.
    We need someone with a spare million bucks to place an order for a thousand or so 3" .41 Special L-frames or GP100s
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List