Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lessons to Learn (Negligent Discharge Video)

Lessons to Learn (Negligent Discharge Video)

While the following link is of an officers body camera during a negligent discharge, I’m of the mind this incident offers lessons to learn for all who carry guns whether they’re uniformed or not.

https://youtu.be/Z7uJQ_nwZ4I
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Recently, at a match I didn't attend - there was a shotgun ND about a foot from the SO's foot. I'm told the participant was unskilled and probably a newbie with the gun. In one sense, with more demanding guns, I wonder if there should be a competency test before competing. Some outfits do that or have a safety course. I had a guy put a 45 ACP a foot from my foot when he 'loaded and made ready'.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Recently, at a match I didn't attend - there was a shotgun ND about a foot from the SO's foot. I'm told the participant was unskilled and probably a newbie with the gun. In one sense, with more demanding guns, I wonder if there should be a competency test before competing. Some outfits do that or have a safety course. I had a guy put a 45 ACP a foot from my foot when he 'loaded and made ready'.
    I don’t see this is as a problem a fixed test can solve. The video & your examples dovetail with the idea of cognitive overload; regardless of the individuals mental capabilities having too much to do at once causes people to “forget” how to handle guns. They may be knowledgeable and well instructed; but in the heat of having too much to process in a short time interval the details are forgotten, leading to the Loud Noise.

Being at a match for the first time, clearing a home when a sudden stimuli presents itself...all instances of someone already operating at high mental alertness being confronted with a sudden event.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 07-09-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Is it standard practice to use a WML to search and illuminate as we saw in that video?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Is it standard practice to use a WML to search and illuminate as we saw in that video?
    Fuck, no. That was hard to watch. This is why we can't have nice things.
    Last edited by 98z28; 07-09-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Muzzles partner, pulls trigger. "What happened?"

Very sad.

A member of my club, experienced competitive shooter, put a round thru his own leg recently at a match. Fortunately he suffered no lasting damage.

Sloppy gun handling is fine, until it's not.
    Last edited by Mark D; 07-09-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Nope. Horrible practice that has probably resulted in people getting shot who didn't need to be.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

If you're searching a house in good lighting and are in a situation that warrants putting a gun where your eyes are (like looking for an intruder in a house you've been told nobody else is present that has a right to be there), doing the same thing in a darkened area doesn't change that.

With that said, you shouldn't be using the WML in the same manner you would as a handheld, and searching with a WML should ideally be done in a depressed position using the light bounce. Using the WML like a handheld leads to sloppy handling where you are habitually, unconsciously using your gun as a pointer instead of keeping it in a referenced, hardwired ready position.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If you're searching a house in good lighting and are in a situation that warrants putting a gun where your eyes are (like looking for an intruder in a house you've been told nobody else is present that has a right to be there), doing the same thing in a darkened area doesn't change that.

With that said, you shouldn't be using the WML in the same manner you would as a handheld, and searching with a WML should ideally be done in a depressed position using the light bounce. Using the WML like a handheld leads to sloppy handling where you are habitually, unconsciously using your gun as a pointer instead of keeping it in a referenced, hardwired ready position.
    Agreed. I typically use a high port to umbrella light in the "ideal" situation you describe though. Same end goal.

Quote Originally Posted by fwrun View Post
    Agreed. I typically use a high port to umbrella light in the "ideal" situation you describe though. Same end goal.
    High port.

High speed.

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List