Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Lessons to Learn (Negligent Discharge Video)

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    High port.

    High speed.

    Kinda slow, some suck

  2. #12
    I hate to be THAT GUY, but, it sure looks like the duty pistol might have been a Glock or GLO (Glock-like Object). Now despite all the other mistakes that were made leading up to this point, it sure looks to be a case of DA/SA might have helped here to protect the woman from his mistakes. I know, skill and all doesn't need a heavy DA pull, but skills are not infallible especially when you put intense fear into the mix.

    I really like the idea of a Glock 'Safe Action', but the reality is there is a lot to get in the way of the safe part of that action... I know others here will agree with me. Now, I think as a concealed carry with proper skill where you are not really forced to clear buildings or hold many people at gunpoint it makes much more sense to this guy anyways.

  3. #13
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Depends on what caused the trigger pull. The human factors studies have shown that a startle, trip, sympathetic hand grip from the other hand's action - will pull a DA trigger. Might it slow down some possible NDs - perhaps. Don't want to start the whole DA vs Glockish trigger debate and which is better.

    My point, trigger on the finger is a risk for most available pulls.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    I really like the idea of a Glock 'Safe Action', but the reality is there is a lot to get in the way of the safe part of that action... I know others here will agree with me. Now, I think as a concealed carry with proper skill where you are not really forced to clear buildings or hold many people at gunpoint it makes much more sense to this guy anyways.
    One could always wind up needing to hold some criminal at gunpoint or draw a gun in to a “Don’t Shoot Yet” scenario, whether LE or regular Joe CCW. I’d say practicing keeping one’s trigger finger at a high-register position is a good way to keep away unintentional loud noises. Of course a different trigger system can help too with a longer, heavier pull.
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 07-11-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    “The only thing worse than losing is quitting.” - Sean M

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    I hate to be THAT GUY, but, it sure looks like the duty pistol might have been a Glock or GLO (Glock-like Object). Now despite all the other mistakes that were made leading up to this point, it sure looks to be a case of DA/SA might have helped here to protect the woman from his mistakes. I know, skill and all doesn't need a heavy DA pull, but skills are not infallible especially when you put intense fear into the mix.

    I really like the idea of a Glock 'Safe Action', but the reality is there is a lot to get in the way of the safe part of that action... I know others here will agree with me. Now, I think as a concealed carry with proper skill where you are not really forced to clear buildings or hold many people at gunpoint it makes much more sense to this guy anyways.
    I own no striker fired pistols and am a pilgrim of the Holy TDA Orthodox Ministry, but I submit this can’t be solved with a heavier trigger pull. The officer was mentally on edge clearing a house with god-knows-what around each shadow, and now there’s a suddenly active dog to deal with. He got mentally task saturated ...bang.

    From my perch, it looks like he works for a PD that taught him the legally mandated minimum of tactical skills and left the rest to OTJ training.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

  6. #16
    FWIW, I am not saying DA would have saved him... just that it MAY have. Considering he may have gotten the OTJ training mentioned, all the more reason to tip the scales even more towards less likely to set off round by accident. I know of the studies on the actual force created setting off even double action, to me though... I see it is travel being more important. I'd take LEM/DAK type actions over striker fired type any day for this reason, but everything has it's faults at the end of the day right.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    FWIW, I am not saying DA would have saved him... just that it MAY have. Considering he may have gotten the OTJ training mentioned, all the more reason to tip the scales even more towards less likely to set off round by accident. I know of the studies on the actual force created setting off even double action, to me though... I see it is travel being more important. I'd take LEM/DAK type actions over striker fired type any day for this reason, but everything has it's faults at the end of the day right.
    It would be cheaper to spend the money on proper training upfront. This is a mistake which should have happened on the training floor- not the street.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

  8. #18
    Rabbit of Caerbannog JodyH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Mexico
    He muzzled his own support hand/arm at 1:48 and 2:28 as well.

    RO should have DQ'd him from the stage before he had a chance to ND.


    When I see really solid muzzle/finger discipline from LE it can almost always be traced back to either them or their range staff having a competition (USPSA/IDPA/3Gun) background.
    Last edited by JodyH; 07-11-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    Lot of desert out here.
    Lot of holes in the desert.
    Lot of problems buried in those holes.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

    Muzzles partner, pulls trigger. "What happened?"
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post

    RO should have DQ'd him from the stage before he had a chance to ND.
    The officer whose body cam we are watching, and said "What happened", did not have the ND. (Did look like he muzzled himself though, but hard to say for sure with the body cam angle).

    The ND came from the 3rd officer that you saw briefly enter and go behind the front door. He was trying to grab a dog . You can see the shot go through the door. It's also spelled out in the news story.

  10. #20
    "This was not negligence, it was accidental"

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •