Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lessons to Learn (Negligent Discharge Video)

Quote Originally Posted by DMWINCLE View Post
    The officer whose body cam we are watching, and said "What happened", did not have the ND. (Did look like he muzzled himself though, but hard to say for sure with the body cam angle).

The ND came from the 3rd officer that you saw briefly enter and go behind the front door. He was trying to grab a dog . You can see the shot go through the door. It's also spelled out in the news story.
    I misinterpreted the video. Thanks for the clarification.

Officer Sink’s body camera shows the bullet go through the door separating Wright and Butler.
    A good reminder: building material, including front doors are not backstops.

Less than 3 minutes after being shot, officer Butler was loaded into an ambulance. She is expected to be okay.
    From my NON LEO perspective:
    - I don't know if they reacted properly, given their training and situation, but they got to immediately work diagnosing and solving the problem.
    - I'm curious if these LEO's had any applicable medical training or equipment on scene.
    - Thank God EMS was on scene so quickly.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    - I'm curious if these LEO's had any applicable medical training or equipment on scene.
    Maybe @BehindBlueI's can comment on that. Even if he's not familiar with that department in specific, there might be some state mandated minimum training in the academy.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    - Thank God EMS was on scene so quickly.
    Where I used to work EMS, it was customary for the local EMS to be dispatched to warrant services so that the bus was already en-route before officers made entry. That's for low level warrants served by officers/detectives.....we had medics embedded with the county tactical team that would go through their entire planning process, staging and execution for any of their ops.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Where I used to work EMS, it was customary for the local EMS to be dispatched to warrant services so that the bus was already en-route before officers made entry. That's for low level warrants served by officers/detectives.....we had medics embedded with the county tactical team that would go through their entire planning process, staging and execution for any of their ops.
    Makes sense. I got the impression that Sinks (body cam) wasn’t expecting medics on scene so he ran towards (what I assume was) his patrol car down the block to get supplies. He then turned around in response to another patrol car that pulled up.

Thanks for the info.
    David S.

Admittedly, I only watched part of the video, but was he calling her “baby”?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Maybe @BehindBlueI's can comment on that. Even if he's not familiar with that department in specific, there might be some state mandated minimum training in the academy.
    Indiana has a tier system, with Tier 1 being what most people think of when they think of the police and what those officers would be. I *think* it's 16 hours minimum at the Academy for tier 1. CPR/AED, basic first aid, and tactical/medical.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

If you're searching a house in good lighting and are in a situation that warrants putting a gun where your eyes are (like looking for an intruder in a house you've been told nobody else is present that has a right to be there), doing the same thing in a darkened area doesn't change that.

With that said, you shouldn't be using the WML in the same manner you would as a handheld, and searching with a WML should ideally be done in a depressed position using the light bounce. Using the WML like a handheld leads to sloppy handling where you are habitually, unconsciously using your gun as a pointer instead of keeping it in a referenced, hardwired ready position.
    This.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Cognitive overload can certainly happen, especially with less-experienced folks. I had one experience with a rookie discharging her G22 as I pushed an unlocked door open, at a burglary-in-progress call, with the complainant inside, while announcing police/make-your-presence-known/show-your-hands-etc. Fortunately, her muzzle discipline was perfect, the Acme “instant hole” had appeared on the next porch step, to her front, whereas I was several steps ahead, and higher, to the side of the door.

For just a moment in time, I wondered whether we were taking fire from an attacker, and, I self-doubted, wondering if I had managed to stupidly discharge my weapon, but the rookie quickly stated what had happened, so I advised the officer in front of the house, on the air, that we were good, and we got down to business, clearing the small house, and making contact with the complainant. Ideally, we would have backed-away, substituted another officer, and then searched, but the complainant’s safety was an immediate concern, there were only the three of us available, and I would not have wanted the rookie to be by herself, in front of the house.

Notably, the rookie’s quickly, calmly, and matter-of-factly stating “I discharged my firearm,” was a factor in my deciding to immediately proceed with the house-clearing. I said something like “let’s go,” and we were back in business.

Interestingly, the complainant was unaware that a shot had been fired, as the sound of the shot had coincided my forcefully pushing the door open, and making the announcement. (And, the complainant was not upset, upon learning about the brand new decorative hole in her brand new porch step. We were perceived to be angels, who had come to the rescue, doing our best with the information available to us.)

After we cleared the house, it was discovered that a large roll of paper had fallen, and rolled across the floor, causing the complainant to perceive that a burglar was moving in the next room. The complainant had neglected to lock her back door, which was why I had found it unlocked.

To be clear, I believe that some LEOs have no business being LEOs, but the above-described seemed to be a good young officer, who made an embarrassing mistake. Her safe muzzle direction, and relative calmness after the shot, were quite reassuring. Indeed, not just reassuring, but PRICELESS.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Lafayette’s police chief says officer Wright never intended to pull the trigger.

"When we asked him he flat out said he had no intention of shooting the dog," said Flannelly.
    If you weren't planning on shooting the dog, and you're supposed to be dealing with the dog problem, why is your pistol out? I get it, the text book thing to do is have your pistol out, so have it out. Sometimes you have to trust your cover, holster up and work a problem.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List