Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ross Perot Dead At 89.

Ross did a lot of very good things very quietly, with no publicity or fanfare. he did them simply because he had the ability, connections and finances to do so.

I think you are going to read about some of them in the coming days. He was instrumental in evacuating a LOT of people out of hospitals in New Orleans immediately prior to Katrina.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Cool story of Perot helping a disabled vet and his family. Don't know much about the guy's politics, but anyone doing this sort of thing behind the scenes is alright in my book.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I'm old enough to have watched his 30 minute flip chart infomercials during the campaign. If I were emperor and not constrained by the First Amendment, the one campaign reform I'd institute is to have that be the only format of political campaign ads allowed on TV. Almost all political ads are a 30 or 60 second spot which only allows time to see the candidate in front of a flag and to say 'If elected I will cut taxes, raise benefits, and balance the budget'. It's harder to carry that kind of nonsense through a 30 minute talk without looking like a doofus. We don't face any problems that can be intelligently discussed in a soundbite, but that is all the discussion candidates do.

Aside #1: Perot also gets kudos for getting his people out of Iran: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-c18af804ec50/

Aside #2: Perot build EDS into a large computer services company. GM, in it's doldrums days, bought EDS and gave Perot a seat on the GM board, hoping he could infuse GM with some entrepreneurial spirit. Alas, GM proved resistant to the needed transformation, and Perot quit before too long. When asked about the frustrations of working in the GM culture afterwards he said something like "The first EDSer to see a snake kills it. At GM, first thing you do is organize a committee on snakes. Then you bring in a consultant who knows a lot about snakes. Third thing you do is talk about it for a year."

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    Aside #1: Perot also gets kudos for getting his people out of Iran: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-c18af804ec50/
    On Wings of Eagles is a great read.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List