Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: "Official Ruger LCR Thread"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Hey, when they first came out I actually jumped back in horror when I saw it. Then I finally shot one...
    This
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    I'm using it in the pockets of Wrangler Cargo Shorts with the pocket holster I mentioned in my post. I wear a long t shirt or polo shirt to cover the pocket opening.
    I discovered the joys of this combo a few weeks ago.

I have a pair of AHolster pocket holsters and just spent this past week in deep rural MS (99 degrees with 91% humidity) pocket carrying my .38 LCR in my right pocket and my .22 LCR in the left. I still had plenty of room for my other "man gear" (wallet,keys, phone, Spyddie, and small OC). Imminently more comfortable than dressing around my Glock (s).

I've pocket or Hip Grip carried a 640 for a couple of decades and I am now solidly sold on the LCR line. Timely thread MDFA! Thank you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I discovered the joys of this combo a few weeks ago.

I have a pair of AHolster pocket holsters and just spent this past week in deep rural MS (99 degrees with 91% humidity) pocket carrying my .38 LCR in my right pocket and my .22 LCR in the left. I still had plenty of room for my other "man gear" (wallet,keys, phone, Spyddie, and small OC). Imminently more comfortable than dressing around my Glock (s).

I've pocket or Hip Grip carried a 640 for a couple of decades and I am now solidly sold on the LCR line. Timely thread MDFA! Thank you.

You're welcome. If you don't have the Tamer Bantam Boot Grips try them, they work really well for pocket carry, but are still a usable grip to actually shoot with.

I'm seriously considering getting a 3rd LCR.
    Last edited by MDFA; 07-13-2019 at 04:58 AM.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    I’m LCR-curious. I’ve run a 642-2 for 15 years, but the grips the LCR comes with are certainly more hand-filling, and the trigger is really nice. There’s a used, finish worn .38 and a really nice used .22 at the LGS. If I didn’t already have a layaway going there, I’d probably grab one or both. Not really excited to trade “old reliable” for “new hotness”.

For Post 34,
    I'd also like to try an LCR (.38 or .357, unsure) someday; but, money-wise, it's just not a priority right now. It would just be another firearm to familiarize myself with and to gain proficiency.

It can be difficult to resist the urge to buy one (or two) after following all these firearm forums I'm on. Buying an LCR will likely easily turn into a $1000 expenditure for me should I try out an LCR (firearm, holster, ammo, all adds up).

It'd be different if my two S&W J-frames were stolen or totally broke-down. Even then, I'm mostly carrying a semiauto nowadays, of which I've got several from which to choose. Again, hard to resist the temptations to buy right now; maybe next year.

Swapped my model 5450 LCR .357 for a model 5401 LCR .38 last week. The weight savings of almost 4 oz is very noticeable in my pocket.

I seem to shoot my Wadcutters about the same, and for whatever reason the recoil impulse is hardly any different.

I’m well pleased with the switch.

For a higher thumbs grip and overall shootability, the Pachmayr Diamond Pro Grip is awesome. It's a little bulbous near the bottom, but still fits and can be easily drawn from the right pockets. I've found that Kohls Sonoma brand Flexwear cargo shorts work well, provided the pocket opening is at least 6". After discovering that some I bought this spring worked and some didn't, I learned to take a tape measure with me. The Diamond Pro works great on an SP101 also. Just ordered one for my 442 Pro. Not mine, but here's a pic of the Diamond Pro grip....

Name:  iu.jpeg
Views: 1305
Size:  19.7 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    For Post 34,
    I'd also like to try an LCR (.38 or .357, unsure) someday; but, money-wise, it's just not a priority right now. It would just be another firearm to familiarize myself with and to gain proficiency.

It can be difficult to resist the urge to buy one (or two) after following all these firearm forums I'm on. Buying an LCR will likely easily turn into a $1000 expenditure for me should I try out an LCR (firearm, holster, ammo, all adds up).

It'd be different if my two S&W J-frames were stolen or totally broke-down. Even then, I'm mostly carrying a semiauto nowadays, of which I've got several from which to choose. Again, hard to resist the temptations to buy right now; maybe next year.
    I hear what you're saying. I bought our two used, so including gear I'm under $850.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Swapped my model 5450 LCR .357 for a model 5401 LCR .38 last week. The weight savings of almost 4 oz is very noticeable in my pocket.

I seem to shoot my Wadcutters about the same, and for whatever reason the recoil impulse is hardly any different.

I’m well pleased with the switch.
    We've noticed slightly less recoil with the .357 due to the added weight. Not a lot but it adds up in training for my wife. I'm considering getting another in .38 as the weight savings in a pocket is noticeable and keeping the .357 for training and AIWB.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    I hear what you're saying. I bought our two used, so including gear I'm under $850.
    There are some good prices out there in the used market. I picked up my .38 and my .22 (locally) used for a combined total of $650.00. Included were a box of .38 GD's and a Desantis pocket holster. I prefer my AHolsters for pocket carry, but the Desantis is quite serviceable.

I already handload .38 and have for a long time. So practice ammo is a non issue as regards costs, around $.07/rd with homecast and powder coated bullets.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Tamer Bantam Boot Grips. I'll give 'em a try, but have no complaints nor issues with my current grips... but if they'll make things even mo' better, why not?

User Tag List