Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: "Official Ruger LCR Thread"

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I have the same problem. I decided to go with 22LR almost exclusively. I had a LCR 22LR until my wife decided she liked it. I now carry a S&W 43c in 22LR.

I have various J-Frame, LCR and 856 sized revolvers. The only ones I can shoot a lot without pain are the 22LRs. Even mild wadcutter loads don't allow me to shoot a lot for practice. I've been logging round counts and centerfire will be 2 to 4 cylinders full while with 22LR I loose count of how much I shoot.
    Do you carry the .22 or just practice with it and carry a centerfire?

On the rim fire side do you prefer the 43 or the LCR?

I have never fired either. Only Smith 63 3" and an old Rossi 4" j frame copy that I can't recall the model of.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Was the raffle the primary thing that brought you back to the LCR over a J or have you found the LCR subjectively better in some way?

I'm absolutely LCR curious but already have a 442 and am weighing either eventually buying a second 442 or getting a a pair of LCRs (.38 or .327).
    I've had several J Frames over the years, to include one's I customized by filing the front sight and installing a XS sight, pulling the dreaded locks and installing plugs, polishing internals and changing spring kits etc.

Now winning the LCR didn't hurt the decision, but if I hadn't liked them before I would have sold the raffle one rather than invest in the system again.

In my experience they come with a better trigger out of the box, better sights which are easily user changed in a 10 minute job, better grips which absorb recoil and can be found at reasonable prices, softer shooting due to the grips and polymer frame.

Now I will agree that a Blued Steel and Walnut Smith will win the BBQ gun competition hands down.

As I sit here typing, I'm wearing one in my JMCK AIWB and one in my strong side pocket. A speedloader and a 2x2x2 pouch on my belt with a speedstrip in a pocket a light and a Clinch Pick, as we just returned home from running errands. I hardly notice they are there.

I really like the idea of being able to access the AIWB revolver while seated, and the Covered Low Ready while standing if something makes my bell and whistles go off.

Some big names in the training world on this forum give the LCR some pretty high marks.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by MDFA; 12-09-2023 at 03:36 PM.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Do you carry the .22 or just practice with it and carry a centerfire?

On the rim fire side do you prefer the 43 or the LCR?

I have never fired either. Only Smith 63 3" and an old Rossi 4" j frame copy that I can't recall the model of.
    My wife and I both carry the 22LRs with Federal Punch ammo. I carry the 43c because that's the one my wife let me keep.

I actually slightly prefer the 43c for my hands. It seems like it is more difficult to find a 43c that works well than the LCR 22s, which seem to work better out of the box. I would probably recommend the LCR over the 43c for that reason.

Any J-Frame needs grips that cover the backstrap for me. I have CT 405 laser grips on my 43c. Proper grips that fit your hand make a big difference.

I pocket carry my 43c in an Aholster and my wife carries her LCR either in an Enigma or a clutch purse designed for carry. Either one, we can run a few boxes of ammo in practice using cheaper ammo. I frequently clean the chambers with BoreTech C4 carbon remover for easy ejection of empties. I keep a brush handy to brush the chambers from time to time while practicing.

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I have the same problem. I decided to go with 22LR almost exclusively. I had a LCR 22LR until my wife decided she liked it. I now carry a S&W 43c in 22LR.
    Count me in with a similar issue. Five rounds through my .38 LCR and I'm done for the day. Same thing happens with .38 J-frames. Intense pain in the base of my thumb, radiating out through most of my palm.

For me, the solution was an LCR in .327. Perceived recoil in Federal's 85gr low-recoil .327 is actually less than that of Ventura's 100gr .32 H&R ammo. A couple of weeks ago, I ran 100 rounds of the Ventura and was still able to switch back to my P30 and do decent work to finish out the range session. This is a snubby with which I can actually practice enough to get proficient (though ammo costs, even for .32 S&W Long, have driven me to [re]start reloading).
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

Site Supporter
    I could shoot my LCRX .22 all day, the adjustable rear sight makes for an accurate little 3", it shoots Aguila 40gr super match copper and
    lead as well as Mini mags and Punch fairly close to the same poa , Then 2- 4 cylinders of 148gr WC through the LCR to confirm and good to go.
    My wife and I had to run a bunch of errands in town this afternoon, seems people are out of their minds,X Macro AIWB and LCR in strong hand pocket

Site Supporter
    After spending more time with my LCR's over the last several months, I'm wondering about an LCR 9mm,
    I know some here were running them a while back but haven't read much on 9's lately...wondering do the
    con's generally out weigh the pro's with an LCR 9 ?

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    After spending more time with my LCR's over the last several months, I'm wondering about an LCR 9mm,
    I know some here were running them a while back but haven't read much on 9's lately...wondering do the
    con's generally out weigh the pro's with an LCR 9 ?

Mine lives with me almost daily. It lives its life primarily as a bug but also fills gas station, rest stop duty or any other time I need a pocket gun. Carry ammo is 147 HSTs and shoots to point of aim, same ammo that is in my primary. Recoil is less than .38 +P. Reloads are carried by marrying 2 moons together and carried in my offside pants pocket, I have yet to bend a TK Custom or Speed Bee moon clip, I have bent one factory clip but it flattened out and I still use it for training. There is enough grip options so a person could/should fine a viable set. I modified the factory to my liking. Some say its ugly but so is a hammer. The only con I have is there aren't many replacement front sights.

Seems like the common approach is two small revolvers, one AIWB and the other strong pocket. This allows only a strong side draw. Has anyone tried moving the pocket-carry to the left side? That would permit defence even if the strong hand is no longer available.

Duces
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Seems like the common approach is two small revolvers, one AIWB and the other strong pocket. This allows only a strong side draw. Has anyone tried moving the pocket-carry to the left side? That would permit defence even if the strong hand is no longer available.

Duces
    Another idea, if versatility is your goal, is the second snub on your ankle.
    AIWB and pocket carry both kinda suck for seated draws, especially if there's a seat belt, but it's perfect for ankle carry. Plus either hand can make the draw and it's easier to avoid flagging yourself.
    Triple carry with AIWB, pocket, and ankle starts sounding a bit paranoid but absolutely covers virtually any initial situation. Except for extended Hollywood style shootouts... carrying 3 snubs and still having one less round than a Glock 19 just seems inefficient.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Another idea, if versatility is your goal, is the second snub on your ankle.
    AIWB and pocket carry both kinda suck for seated draws, especially if there's a seat belt, but it's perfect for ankle carry. Plus either hand can make the draw and it's easier to avoid flagging yourself.
    Triple carry with AIWB, pocket, and ankle starts sounding a bit paranoid but absolutely covers virtually any initial situation. Except for extended Hollywood style shootouts... carrying 3 snubs and still having one less round than a Glock 19 just seems inefficient.
    It isn’t a problem drawing from AIWB while seat belted in with the right technique, well unless you have a zipped up outer coat on.

User Tag List