Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Official Ruger LCR Thread"

Site Supporter

"Official Ruger LCR Thread"

Mods feel free to do what you wish with this, but I thought enough of us have LCR's that it would be good to consolidate information on them.

So I recently bought 2 used LCR's " $350" each for my wife and I. .38 version for my wife and the .357 version for me. Light weight for my wife in purse carry. Heavier weight in AIWB and for practice for us both with the .357. Both are loaded with Black Hills 148gr. HBWC, with 125gr.JHP Standard Pressure .38 in speed strips and speed loaders for backup. There will be no magnums used.
    Name:  Ruger LCRs.jpg
Views: 14162
Size:  74.6 KB

I've added XS Standard Dot Tritium Front Sights to both. My wife prefers the Stock Tamer Grips, and I added the Hogue Tamer Bantam Boot Grip to my .357 when I pocket carry. I have the Stock Tamer Grip to install on my .357 for her for the bulk of training due to the extra weight and easier on the hands recoil. I modified all three grips so that the middle finger gets a higher purchase on the grip behind the trigger guard.

HKS 36 Speed Loaders for Smith & Wesson J Frames work just fine.

I've found the Tamer Bantam Boot Grip works just fine, not quite as small as a J Frame Boot Grip, but easier on the hands in training. I like the tackiness of the grip as it helps to anchor the gun in the pocket, when you draw the tacky areas are covered by your hand so it doesn't drag. Modding the grips for a higher position makes a huge difference. I tried the Pachmayer G10 Grip, nice grip but you might as well carry a Glock 19, as the G10 grip is quite large. I use a Blackhawk #3 Tacgrip Pocket Holster when I pocket carry. Our AIWB holsters are Kydex that I make. My wife has 2 dedicated gun purses that she uses primarily due to wardrobe.
    Name:  Wadcutter 5.jpg
Views: 4839
Size:  17.1 KB

The accuracy is there. Blackhills 148HBWC at 7 yards. The dot is 1 1/4 inch across. That translates into MOA =" Minute Of Asshole"
    i reload 148gr. HBWC with 2.2 grs. Titegroup for a training round.

I've found that I like them more than my 642 overall, and I've had 642's for a LONG Time.

Both are set up to shoot the same and use the same gear for training and familiarity.

Hope this helps anyone thinking about them or looking for gear.

If you haven't listened to DB's Snubby Podcast at least 3 times you should as there's ALOT to good information there.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Great stuff! I traded all my LCR’s to Haggard because I was limited by some department policy restrictions that sort of forced me into one brand of carry revolvers for travel. I really liked the guns and have no problem recommending them. I also like the thought put into the carry systems for you and your wife and making it work for your lives.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Great stuff! I traded all my LCR’s to Haggard because I was limited by some department policy restrictions that sort of forced me into one brand of carry revolvers for travel. I really liked the guns and have no problem recommending them. I also like the thought put into the carry systems for you and your wife and making it work for your lives.
    Thanks Darryl, my primary is still my 1911. But I don't feel outgunned with 2 LCR's either. Hopefully I can make it to the next Revolver Summit. My wife is actually out your way for work now.

I miss the days when we were both contributing on MSW.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

I am very much contemplating adding an LCR. While my 642 is fine, and I just did some upgrades to it, the sights are still bugging me, and I am somewhat fascinated by the utility of going to the 327. Threads like these tend to be what pushes me over the edge.....
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

KLCR with my dremel and soldering iron modified boot grip.

Has over 2K through it now. Still prefer the J frame but it is a great addition to my revolver stable.

Last edited by eb07; 07-09-2019 at 11:48 AM.

Site Supporter
    So I'm a pretty huge fan of the LCR but the only thing really holding me back from a LCR is the utility it has as a pocket gun.

It seems sorta large for that, but does anyone here have experience running one from a pocket holster?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I owned an early LCR in .38spcl; the trigger was meh, sucked worse than a j-frame with whatever heavy +P+ load I was convinced I needed to avoid KIS and the very existence of the internal lock pissed me off. But hey, I got it for $200 and sold it for $250, so win win. Then a couple of years ago, I started clicking on this P-F thread just for the hell of it. I was genuinely surprised to find that some highly regarded people liked the LCR...a lot.

I was seriously considering ditching my 442 and getting a copy of my wife's 351pd. Her's is a delight to shoot and 7rds of .22mag leaves me feeling far from unarmed. Intrigued by all the LCR love (and some less than stellar reports here on current production 43c's), I decided to get an LCR in .22LR, again, just for the hell of it. Fell deeply in love during the first cylinder fired. Crazy easy to hit with and tons of fun to boot! It quickly became my warm weather edc and I'm just waiting on my CFO to give me the go ahead to pick up another in .327 which I plan to stoke with .32 H&R magnums. Once I have the .32, I plan to add a Clip Draw to the .22 for use it in shorts and sweats around the house.

I learned somewhere on P-F that one can carefully dremel Hogue rubber grips and I'll be forever grateful. I've nearly eliminated the finger groove and the pinky hook from my Tamers, also took a good bit off under the trigger guard and plan to do even more this weekend. While the OEM configuration may be all well and good for those using a low thumb grip, the LCR is in a class all it's own as a high thumb snubbie. Points spot on for me, where j's always pointed high with the whole front sight blade standing above the rear notch.

Name:  LCR Tamer.jpg
Views: 5346
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  LCR Tamer High Thumb.jpg
Views: 7969
Size:  71.6 KB

I've got XL hands and this leaves just enough for my pinky to make contact along the front, bottom edge of the Tamers.

Name:  LCR Tamer Open.jpg
Views: 4966
Size:  57.2 KB

ETA: I know the mods here are shit, but a really good one might merge some of the better posts from the earlier LCR thread I mentioned...just sayin.
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 07-09-2019 at 12:45 PM.

I like the boot grips, too, but they're way, way too slick for my liking. My wood burning kit is buried in a storage unit right now, so I can't do the full stipple job that's planned for these, but a bit of grip tape makes them imminently more serviceable to my hands. I also dremel'ed a good bit from under the trigger guard with these, too. Less to grab onto, but great for the pocket or belly band under a tucked shirt when required.

Name:  LCR Boot.jpg
Views: 5135
Size:  76.1 KB

Name:  LCR Boot Held.jpg
Views: 5553
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  LCR Boot Open.jpg
Views: 5535
Size:  60.7 KB

Best overlay shot that I could achieve:

Name:  LCR Overlay.jpg
Views: 5941
Size:  78.0 KB
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 07-09-2019 at 12:53 PM.

@whomever pointed out in another thread about .327 v 9mm that Ruger's manual indicates that it's perfectly safe to dry fire all their revolvers, even in .22 rimfire. I read it, but I still didn't believe it as I've known for 40yrs that you shouldn't dry fire a rimfire.

And I was wrong. I called Ruger directly and their rep assured me that all Ruger revolvers and rifles are safe to dry fire...even the rimfires. (Fwiw, they do not recommend regular dry fire of their semi-auto rimfire pistols.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    So I'm a pretty huge fan of the LCR but the only thing really holding me back from a LCR is the utility it has as a pocket gun.

It seems sorta large for that, but does anyone here have experience running one from a pocket holster?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    I'm using it in the pockets of Wrangler Cargo Shorts with the pocket holster I mentioned in my post. I wear a long t shirt or polo shirt to cover the pocket opening.

User Tag List