Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR1911 Custom 45

Site Supporter
    It depends on how much hand fitting/tuning if any is performed on the guns.

Colt offers a completely hand fit, hand tuned pistol with no MIM or cast parts. It sells for around $2200. Obviously more than a typical Dan Wesson pistol. But when a manufacturer whose pistols are mostly built on an assembly line offers a truly hand built gun it is going to cost more because the build process is an exception to their normal process. A Springfield Armory Professional is a hand built gun that contains some MIM parts and yet sells for over $3000. How does it compare to a Dan Wesson? It's subjective at that point.

If the Ruger custom requires a lot of hands-on work that explains the big difference in price compared to their regular guns.

Site Supporter
    You can buy used Wilson’s at Ruger’s price point all day long in the current climate. One just sold in the PF classifieds for $2000. I know where my money would go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I'm still holding out hope that Ruger will use the Caspian hicap frame as a basis for a custom shop gun. That would be worth something closer to $1800. Again, just my opinion.
    This is high on my wish list. Having own owned several Caspians, I feel they could be as good or better than a 2011 if quality mags were available, at not super gouging prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    This is high on my wish list. Having own owned several Caspians, I feel they could be as good or better than a 2011 if quality mags were available, at not super gouging prices.
    Mine too. Since Ruger makes the castings (actually I think it is Pine Tree Castings) for Caspian it would seem only logical that a factory hicap is part of the plan.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Are people still worrying about MIM parts in 1911s?

Have you broken any ? I have.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Have you broken any ? I have.
    Broken a couple firing pin retaining plates. But I've broken non-MIM ones of those too. And I think one MIM hammer strut.

Site Supporter
    Broken a couple firing pin retaining plates. But I've broken non-MIM ones of those too. And I think one MIM hammer strut.

Slide stop and safety. I’m ok with MIM parts designed from the ground up for MIM like in the HK USP. To replace parts designed to be rendered from forged steel not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Slide stop and safety. I’m ok with MIM parts designed from the ground up for MIM like in the HK USP. To replace parts designed to be rendered from forged steel not so much.
    I've seen broken parts on 1911s and Hi Powers that are high round count guns. No MIM parts there.

Parts eventually break.

There are quite a few possibilities with a Caspian/Ruger hicap.

The obvious is a gun built for the competition market. Something that's not unlike the current DK offerings. Such a gun should appeal to 3 gunners and work well in IDPA. Hopefully a gun like this isn't too far away from production.

The other venue, as I see it, is as a family of carry guns. A full size steel frame gun that is built like Ruger's standard 1911 line. A gun that sells for somewhere around $800. To this line I'd also like to see an aluminum frame model either full size or possibly commander length followed by a fat officer also built on an aluminum frame.

As mentioned, mags are probably the biggest hurdle. If Ruger can get someone like Mec-Gar to make a mag that has a comparable capacity to the Para or STI that sells for maybe $40 they should be okay. Otherwise, an $800 pistol that runs on $140 mags will be a big old can of no go.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If I was in charge of such a project, I'd at least look into making it work with some common affordable mag, like Sig, Beretta, M&P, etc. Or base it on one of those mag bodies so they could be modified to work reliably even if your special snowflake version stopped being made by MecGar.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List