Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR1911 Custom 45

Ruger SR1911 Custom 45

I have no problem with Ruger's standard 1911 line. In fact I think they might be one of the better values. Good feature set and a decent price for a gun that's 100% made in the US.

These custom guns befuddle me somewhat. Again, good feature set but the price seems pretty stiff. The 9mm version with the MSRP of $2400 actually sells in the $1900 ballpark. Better but that's still a little rough.

So now there is a 45 version. It looks like the same gun as the 9 without the mag well. I guess it will sell for something like $1800? Again, nice feature set but seems a bit steep. Either of these guns would probably sell okay with prices in the $1400 range. But that is just my opinion.

https://ruger.com/products/sr1911Com...eets/6776.html

I'm still holding out hope that Ruger will use the Caspian hicap frame as a basis for a custom shop gun. That would be worth something closer to $1800. Again, just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

But, I mean, it like, comes with a challenge coin and gun peg, dude. What more do you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Yeah 1800 bucks is taking aim at Dan Wesson level quality and while I've never held one of the Ruger custom shop guns, I'd highly doubt that's the level they're at.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Yeah 1800 bucks is taking aim at Dan Wesson level quality and while I've never held one of the Ruger custom shop guns, I'd highly doubt that's the level they're at.

"Dan Wesson level quality"

I have one in 9mm. And while it is a nice handgun it offers really nothing that can't be had for less money from other makers. Or a nicer gun from someone else for not much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    "Dan Wesson level quality"

I have one in 9mm. And while it is a nice handgun it offers really nothing that can't be had for less money from other makers. Or a nicer gun from someone else for not much more.

If you know of a hand-fit gun that uses all tool steel and barstock parts with no MIM and no cast parts for less money than DW, I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    If you know of a hand-fit gun that uses all tool steel and barstock parts with no MIM and no cast parts for less money than DW, I'm all ears.
    Are people still worrying about MIM parts in 1911s?

Are people still worrying about MIM parts in 1911s?

That's what I figured. There are no other manufacturers offering what they do at that price point.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    That's what I figured. There are no other manufacturers offering what they do at that price point.
    You can think whatever you want. If you like Dan Wesson that's fine with me. If lack of MIM parts is your only criteria then you're all set.

Thanks.

You can think whatever you want. If you like Dan Wesson that's fine with me. If lack of MIM parts is your only criteria then you're all set.

Thanks.

I like a lot of 1911 manufacturers. And MIM doesn't really have anything to do with it...Even Bill Wilson says there is nothing wrong with properly done MIM parts, but people equate quality with barstock/tool steel. You made a statement that DW doesn't offer anything that you can't get for less money from other manufacturers...I simply don't believe that is true, because to my knowledge, there is no one else out there offering hand-fit guns with barstock and tool steel parts for less money than DW.

Site Supporter
    I was only saying Dan Wesson as a price point. You could also buy a Les Baer for what these Ruger SR1911 custom shop guns go for.

IMO Ruger's niche for 1911s is offering a gun that's competitive with the Springfields, Colts, and Kimbers.

My 1911 tastes tend to run "champagne taste beer budget" and I've been interested in the SR1911 for a while. One day when I get enough room in the safe I'll pick one up, but it'll be their entry level gun. Also, I've got a bunch of 1911s in .45 enough to satisfy the department of redundancy and repetition.

Last edited by 45dotACP; 07-09-2019 at 10:55 AM.

User Tag List