Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nike cancels new shoe design due to one person's protest

Nike cancels new shoe design due to one person's protest

Don't know if anyone else will be flying the Betsy Ross Flag this holiday, but I still will be.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/01/busin...uly/index.html

New York (CNN Business) — Nike is canceling a sneaker that featured the "Betsy Ross" version of the American flag from the late 18th century.

"Nike has chosen not to release the Air Max 1 Quick Strike Fourth of July as it featured an old version of the American flag," Nike said in a statement to CNN Business.

The Wall Street Journal reported earlier that the athletic-wear company delivered the sneakers to retailers, but asked stores to return them to Nike after the company received a complaint from former NFL star Colin Kaepernick. The Journal indicated Kaepernick said he and others found the shoe offensive because of its ties to America's era of slavery.

Kaepernick could not be reached for comment Monday evening.

The shoe was set to be released Monday for $140, according to Sneakernews.com. The website included photos of a shoe that featured a version of the American flag with 13 stars organized in a circle and 13 stripes. That version of the flag, according to the Smithsonian, was used in the United States from 1777 to 1795.

It is unclear if any of the shoes were sold.

This is the second instance of Nike removing a product in recent days. The company stopped selling some products in China after a fashion designer's support for protests in Hong Kong sparked a social media backlash.

Nike said in a statement at the time that it had decided to remove some of its goods "based on feedback from Chinese consumers."

In May, according to footwearnews.com, Nike canceled an Air Force 1 sneaker after an indigenous group in Panama objected to its design.

An excellent response by Arizona's governor:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/arizo...ross-flag-flap

“Nike has made its decision, and now we’re making ours. I’ve ordered the Arizona Commerce Authority to withdraw all financial incentive dollars under their discretion that the State was providing for the company to locate here. Arizona’s economy is doing just fine without Nike. We don’t need to suck up to companies that consciously denigrate our nation’s history.

“And finally, it shouldn’t take a controversy over a shoe for our kids to know who Betsy Ross is. A founding mother. Her story should be taught in all American schools. In the meantime, it’s worth googling her.”
    Last edited by blues; 07-02-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

#RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    An excellent response by Arizona's governor:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/arizo...ross-flag-flap
    That's the most refreshing thing I have read in ages.

Good for him!

cc

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    The Journal indicated Kaepernick said he and others found the shoe offensive because of its ties to America's era of slavery.
    By that logic, anything post slavery is fair game.

"American ______________ is offensive because.... Slavery"

Hmmm...
    Don't smoke cigarettes because slaves helped build the American tobacco industry.
    Don't wear cotton because......
    Don't buy any products that travel by railroad.....
    Don't eat anything with sugar in it.....
    Let's not forget forced Christianity...

In the mean time, I need a new pair of sneakers...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

CWM11B
    Sounds to me like someone's been out of the center of attention for a while and needs to feel relevant. Maybe he's pissed away his money, who knows.No way I'd make a business decision based on one whiny complaint. What about the fiduciary obligation to the shareholders for the capital outlay here? I quit wearing Nike shoes long ago, prior to all this corporate political BS, due to quality and comfort issues. Be damned if I would ever consider them again.

If America is so bad, move. Seriously. No one will stop you. I wouldn't want to live anywhere that caused me such angst.
    Last edited by CWM11B; 07-02-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Sounds to me like someone's been out of the center of attention for a while and needs to feel relevant.
    Pretty much. I saw the headline, but I'm not feeding clicks to the media to reinforce it's a win to give this jackass a platform. Like any "influencer" his only power is the ability to attract attention, and I'd rather deny him that.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    By that logic, anything post slavery is fair game.

"American ______________ is offensive because.... Slavery"

Hmmm...
    Don't smoke cigarettes because slaves helped build the American tobacco industry.
    Don't wear cotton because......
    Don't buy any products that travel by railroad.....
    Don't eat anything with sugar in it.....
    Let's not forget forced Christianity...

In the mean time, I need a new pair of sneakers...
    By this metric, I assume rum is the is the most offensive liquor out there, considering its place in the "triangle trade."

A campaign against blunt wraps based on the logic above would be funny.

I didn't really have a problem with the whole kneeling protest bit, but this is derpy.

Oh, LL, I think the hashtag you were looking for was #thecrazyyears . Heinlein was wrong about plenty, but we are living out that prediction now.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Literally no culture nor historical artifact will pass this SJW smell test. Not one.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Literally no culture nor historical artifact will pass this SJW smell test. Not one.
    And yet none of them, (that I am aware of), are handing over their personal belongings to all those who were wronged, and vacating the premises.

Go figure.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List