Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Revolver as Primary

A buddy really dug my 22LR LCR and decided he needed to have one of the plastic Rugers. Wound up with a 3" model in 22 WMR. He's broken both hands multiple times in work and play, screwed up his dominant wrist multiple times, has a worse dominant shoulder than support side, and is not getting any younger.

He plans to teach himself to shoot lefty with the LCR before his injuries finally force it and have a better than nothing chambering in a premptive "retired old fart" rig. A friend of his runs a brace of .22 Beretta Bobcats, one in each pocket, as a retirement set-up and even managed to avoid getting caught with them during an extended near-fatal hospital stay.

I'm currently saving for an LCR in 327 Federal Magnum to load with H&R Mags or 32 S&W Long wadcutters as a preemptive thing before I age. Watching what my father and older friends are going through, want to get myself a pocket gun lined up now. Also have a Glock 42 set aside with Defoor sights, mags, and holsters as it's such a soft shooter with relatively easy to rack slide.

I wonder if the full moon clips that are easily deformed are those that come with some new .38 J snubs with the cut cylinders. Those appear light and flimsy and are probably easily deformed when loading and unloading them, or even carrying them in a pocket. They are nothing like the stronger clips for the 1917.

One thing to keep in mind about storing away a .32 J frame for later years when the arthritis kicks in, is that they don't have the lightest da pull out there. It was less than a year ago that I was amazed at how some of the women in the house couldn't pull a double action through. My wife with arthritis couldn't using two fingers. Even in her younger years, she never was comfortable with the da on an old pinned 3" 36 I'd bought her. I tried a Bullseye spring kit and still she was not comfortable with it. Strangely, she was comfortable with my 6" model 14 with it's smooth short stroke in da.

We can't imagine how weak that must be until we wake up one morning in that same condition.

That is why I've got my eyes open for a LCR with an exceptionally light da. I ran into one in 9mm that was like that, but the higher recoil of that higher pressure round disqualified it for me. The other revolver I'm looking for is a nice older short K frame. If only I'd known this when the gun counters were full of them as trade ins.

Regarding a 32 project gun as a geezer gun, Im keeping eyes open for suitable parts for make a K frame into a 32, and may corral J frame parts if i come across them cheap enough. I have a k-22 barrel for this purpose.

In the K, a 22 barrel and cylinder can be re-bored to 32. A 38 cylinder may possibly be sleeved to 32 and smaller extractor star added and cut for 32, but I dont know about that yet. Any centerfire frame should work, 10s and 15s, sometimes 14s show up in online auctions for fair prices if one is patient. Id prefer adjustable sights, but a fixed sight gun (10) could work.

Ive only loaded a handful so far, but 38 Short Colt cases can be used in 38 spls as lighter loads. a moderately loaded 110-125 gr bullet may be workable if 38 wadcutters get to be a bit much, at least the 38 Shorts can be used for practice. The 38 Short Colts can be loaded with 9mm dies and 38 spl shell holder. It only taper crimps, one may wish to make or get a crimp die that can make heavy roll crimps of loads jump crimps in lightweight guns.

Site Supporter

Revolver as Primary

The problem with planning the old man gun too early is that we don’t know which set of deficiencies we will have when that need arises for us. Although this thread presents a revolver as a solution for some, it would certainly not be the solution for all situations. In fact, my starting assumption would be that it would not be the optimal solution in many, If not most cases.

Claude Werner’s old man gun project is interesting. He started with a Beretta 21, which offers the option of a single action trigger pull as well as Crimson Trace Lasergrips. He also found that he liked the Taurus PLY-22, finding that the feed lip design of the magazine resulted in a high level of reliability. The last time I discussed the subject with him, he was carrying a Kel-Tec P-32, which would be high on my list for someone with both recoil sensitivity and difficulty in pulling a trigger (adding my usual caveat that the factory 9 lb. recoil springs should be replaced with 11 lb. recoil springs). A Crimson Trace Laserguard is available, and pocket holsters for this combination are widespread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 07-09-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    My recently-realized holy grail was/is a nicely-tight, well-preserved K-Frame, 2” 64-2, with its decently low bore axis, and plenty of stainless steel to damp recoil. I will need to experiment, to see how high I want to go, regarding chamber pressure. It may remain a target wadcutter gun, or it may eventually be stoked with something like Short Barrel Gold Dots.
    One would be nice, I have a 3" 65. But a Model 60 would be a not bad alternative.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    One would be nice, I have a 3" 65. But a Model 60 would be a not bad alternative.
    I really think a 2" k frame .38 is a great carry piece. Probably as light as you can go to shoot 158s at 1kfps effectively with 6 rounds and a full grip.

I've never liked j frames much but love 2" k frames.

I have a 2” 64 that I have run in classes and enjoy carrying. It shoots and carries really well.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Local instructor/friend likes/recommends the M&P EZ .380 to those with grip/arthritis issues. I bought one for him as a class gun.
    I have one revolver and keep thinking about several other models, (642, SP101, Model 19 comp carry) but what I should really concentrate (spend $$) on, is the same thing the OP should. Practice, practice, practice, with what your going to carry.
    Maybe you will get lucky enough to find a revolver day where your located and get to try several to find what you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I have a 2” 64 that I have run in classes and enjoy carrying. It shoots and carries really well.
    That's gorgeous

If I wasn't so hung up on maximizing potential I would have found a 2" m64 and been happy.

Square butt?
    Last edited by 03RN; 07-09-2019 at 07:34 PM.

User Tag List