Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver as Primary

Site Supporter

Revolver as Primary

OK. This thread went down several years ago. It turned into something unbecoming of PF Membership due to behavior. I see the merit in the conversation today. Be polite and leave the rulers at home please.

-Hizzie

I find myself faced with this choice because of age (serious arthritis in hands, shoulders, etc.) and old OTJ injuries. In the past 6-9 months I have found it increasingly difficulty to perform the manual of arms with my semi autos. The Glock G30S, my primary carry gun is the most difficult. I often can no longer retract the slide to lock it open. My G36 is a little better as is my G21 but on a bad day both require numerous attempts. I even dug out my last 1911, which I can't shoot because of the swollen arthritis knuckles, and tried to clear it to slide lock. Finally made it on the third try. This is unacceptable to me, hence my considering a revolver as my primary carry, defensive weapon.

I have a S&W 386 Night Guard that is my first consideration. I tried to sell it for a year, then figured if I had to keep it I'd make it optimum. TK Custom milled the cylinder to take their Moonclips, giving me a 7 shot revolver with a fast (for a wheel gun) reload if I come up with a way to carry them. My other consideration is a new to me S&W 325 PD with a 4" barrel. When I got it I immediately switched the Ti cylinder for a 625 cylinder. It had a horrendous DA trigger so my gunsmith cleaned it up and made it fun to shoot. Carrying a murse makes this a possibility but I'm still thinking about it.

Also, after watching "the interview" with DB I bought a 642, which is also at the gunsmith getting a front sight I can see. I don't see myself utilizing it as a primary carry gun. I'm thinking of it as "the gun to carry when I can't carry a gun", loosely quoting Darryl.

I'd be interested in hearing comments and/or a discussion from any of you who actually carry a revolver every day instead of the current fad of a half plastic, hi-cap 9mm. What do you carry, how do you handle reloads, and what are you loading your cylinders & speed loaders with? And if your reading this because you think I'm nuts, have at it. I've been insulted by experts, I can take it. (smile)

Dave
    Last edited by Hizzie; 07-08-2019 at 01:39 PM.

I won't comment on your choice of revolvers as I only own a 642-1 and 686+ at present. However, there was a time from the early to late 80's when a revolver, Model 15, 19 or 36 variously served as both primary and / or backup on the job. While I wouldn't want to take on a mob with one, I don't think a revolver is a bad choice for a defensive weapon, especially if your own circumstances dictate that is the better choice for you.

I carry my 642-1 around home and environs, and very occasionally to town. I've no doubt in its ability to do its part if I do mine.
    Since it's not being used as a law enforcement weapon but a self-defense tool, I think any of your revolver choices are just fine.

ETA: I don't carry speedloaders. I'm a speed strip kinda guy...and don't really count on having to reload a revolver during a firefight. The reload is to avoid having an empty weapon in the unfortunate circumstance of having to use it.

Winchester bonded RA38B, 130gr +P is my carry ammo of choice.
    Last edited by blues; 07-08-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I find myself faced with this choice because of age (serious arthritis in hands, shoulders, etc.) and old OTJ injuries. In the past 6-9 months I have found it increasingly difficulty to perform the manual of arms with my semi autos. The Glock G30S, my primary carry gun is the most difficult. I often can no longer retract the slide to lock it open. My G36 is a little better as is my G21 but on a bad day both require numerous attempts. I even dug out my last 1911, which I can't shoot because of the swollen arthritis knuckles, and tried to clear it to slide lock. Finally made it on the third try. This is unacceptable to me, hence my considering a revolver as my primary carry, defensive weapon.

I have a S&W 386 Night Guard that is my first consideration. I tried to sell it for a year, then figured if I had to keep it I'd make it optimum. TK Custom milled the cylinder to take their Moonclips, giving me a 7 shot revolver with a fast (for a wheel gun) reload if I come up with a way to carry them. My other consideration is a new to me S&W 325 PD with a 4" barrel. When I got it I immediately switched the Ti cylinder for a 625 cylinder. It had a horrendous DA trigger so my gunsmith cleaned it up and made it fun to shoot. Carrying a murse makes this a possibility but I'm still thinking about it.

Also, after watching "the interview" with DB I bought a 642, which is also at the gunsmith getting a front sight I can see. I don't see myself utilizing it as a primary carry gun. I'm thinking of it as "the gun to carry when I can't carry a gun", loosely quoting Darryl.

I'd be interested in hearing comments and/or a discussion from any of you who actually carry a revolver every day instead of the current fad of a half plastic, hi-cap 9mm. What do you carry, how do you handle reloads, and what are you loading your cylinders & speed loaders with? And if your reading this because you think I'm nuts, have at it. I've been insulted by experts, I can take it. (smile)

Dave
    386 sounds awesome. Rock it!

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/smith-wesson-386/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Typically any gun is good enough if you have to pull it on someone, even a group of people. Bad guys don't stand there and say "that's a 5-shot gun and there's 6 of us". Typically they don't want to play that game and it's every a-hole for themselves. I would not feel bad about carrying a revolver other than maybe the weight might be annoying at first. I spent the last couple days with just a .38 LCR in my pocket and a couple speed strips.

I hope Ruger comes out with a 6-shot .38 LCR and LCRx. A 3" LCR in .327 wouldn't be bad either.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 07-08-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Regarding switching from semi-auto: It strikes me that a significant part of your concerns/limitations might be addressed by an HK VP9/ VP9 SK/VP40, with their "charging handles" incorporated into the back of the slide.

Similarly, while expensive and not in current production, a Walther P5 with it's dual recoil springs I found to be easier to manipulate the slide than most.

While I have, use and appreciate my revolvers, there are limits to their performance parameters, such as limited inherent capacities and more, and more complex activities and coordination needed to effect a reloading process. But they can certainly be mastered, and very effective, and may be the only alternative for individuals/organizations.

Best, Jon

Hey, your choices are your choices. I often carry either a 3" K frame, or a 2.5" L frame, or a 4" N frame. It's all situational dependent. The one constant is always having a J frame or LCR in the pocket.

I would re-think the moonclips, though they are fast, they are also super fragile. If you bend one, it will make you trigger feel like it weighs 200#. The only practical use is for the first load in the gun with a known good clip, as it will help ensure extraction.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Thanks for starting this Dave....it was on my to do list. Because of my recent injury I have been carrying a 340PD as a primary with a 327 in my walker bag. Not a situation I like but the reality is I am not getting involved in anything right now and my only goal is to be able to near contact shoot anything that may attack me particularly with my wounded baby gazelle appearance. We just went out to east Texas and I was carrying an 8 shot .357 and a 340 with snake shot. Normally, my primary is a Langdon Beretta backed up by a S&W lightweight J and that seems to be my happy place.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

386 in the man purse and 642 in the pocket should be a fairly effective combo.

You can easily have steel counterparts for practice.

I would probably stick with 148gr Match Wadcutters in both. Neither gun loaded with +P will be any good for your arthritis.

Moonclips: Payload in the gun only for admin and guaranteed extraction if needed. Moonclips are easily bent and that’s a No Go for reloads.

Speedloaders: SL Variants were the gold standard. The only other 7 shot push type loader left is the SpeedBeez. In five shot you have Safariland Comp 1, SpeedBeez and JetLoaders.

Speed Strips A: Bianchi and Tuff Products both make traditional single row strips. Tuff has more options than Bianchi but use a less durable material that is adversely affected by extreme cold. To compliment them NeoMag makes a neat pocket clip to keep your strip near the top of your pocket in the orientation you choose. https://theneomag.com/product/rasc/

Speed Strips B: Now Vulcan Ballistics makes their QuickLoad strip which is a little different. Instead of 3 rips it does a full cylinder in two.
    http://www.vulcanballistic.com/quick...oader-systems/
    Last edited by Hizzie; 07-08-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Hizzie, maybe just my prior experience, but if the OP has issues with hands, dexterity or arthritis, the Tuff strips are much less user friendly in terms of ease of loading compared to the Bianchi in my somewhat limited experience with them, and I would not recommend them for that reason.

I have a few, and they're fine, but there was a significant difference in effort required.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The mission drives the gear train is what some angry donkey told me, once upon a time. If autopistols don't work for you because of physical limitations, then the opinion of some "expert" who doesn't walk a mile in your shoes is worthless. I think what we should first consider is a number of questions:

1) Why are you carrying? Job, personal protection, etc.
    2) Where do you live and what is the threat level, i.e. what is the most common scenario you envision having to employ a firearm to defend yourself/others?
    3) What carry method/type of dress do you need the gun to fit into: Can you go around looking like the 5.11 catalog ejaculated on you, or do you need to wear khakis and a button-down shirt at the office?
    4) With all of those considerations in mind, what revolver fits the bill?

Th nightguard might be good for carry, but probably is not optimal for practice.

I'm looking to replace my worn-out 642 because I need better sights and the gun is shot to heck. I'm thinking of getting a no lock M&P 340 to carry and a 640 Pro to practice with.

Arthritis is a nasty disease and when I was younger, I did stupid things and blew it off. Now that I've hit 50, those dumb things result in snap crackle and pop when I try to move.

User Tag List