Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver as Primary

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Thanks for starting this Dave....it was on my to do list. Because of my recent injury I have been carrying a 340PD as a primary with a 327 in my walker bag. Not a situation I like but the reality is I am not getting involved in anything right now and my only goal is to be able to near contact shoot anything that may attack me particularly with my wounded baby gazelle appearance. We just went out to east Texas and I was carrying an 8 shot .357 and a 340 with snake shot. Normally, my primary is a Langdon Beretta backed up by a S&W lightweight J and that seems to be my happy place.
    Have you ever found an IWB or AIWB holster for the 327 that is remotely comfortable? I notice you have it in a walker bag. I assume that's for a reason.

Site Supporter
    Most days when in civvies, I carry a 442-2 in the right front Wranglers pocket along with two speed strips loaded with four rounds each. I usually don't carry a belt revolver since I am still current LE and supplement the 442 with a G19 off duty which functions the same as my duty G23.
    When I do carry a belt sixgun, it is usually a 4" .38 GP-100 or a 4" M65 carried IWB loaded with the Remington 158 grain LHP +P. A 2x2x2 Galco ammo pouch at 1:30 carries six extra of the same cartridge.
    The 442 and the speed strips get the Ranger 38B 130 grain +P bonded load because they shoot to POA in the newer 442 and the LHP hollow nosed soft lead bullets get mashed bullet noses in my pockets. The revolvers also get the nod whenever travelling with the Bride who can, post stroke, still muster up enough hand strength to operate a DA revolver for six shots. She has absolutely no interest or desire or the hand strength to learn and/or manage a bottom feeding pistol.

I think it was in the snubby podcast where DB mentioned a "u-shaped" utility curve for the revolver? They excel at the "small compact gun" niche, and the "big magnum gun niche."

That's sort of exactly where I'm at.

If I turn right at the bottom of our driveway, we're heading into a urban, suburban environment. If I'm carrying a gun, it's typically my 638 in a pocket holster. The gun is loaded with wadcutters, with a speed loader of Gold Dot short barrel in the same pocket.

If I turn left, I'm headed into the National Forest a mile a way, for woods bumming, animal tracking or hunting. There I carry a 4" GP100. Carry load has been the 158-grain XTP, although it's likely to change to the American Eagle 158 grain JSP, so it can do double duty with the Marlin 1894c I just bought.

I'm really satisfied with both of these choices. The snubby podcast explains quite well why I think the J-frame is enough, and I won't retread that ground here.

These days, I rarely carry a belt gun concealed. When I do, it's typically on one of our family road and camping trips, where I bring the Glock 19, because it's a little more gun than the J-frame, and my wife can shoot it. Lately, I've been experimenting with carrying the GP100 in a Simply Rugged IWB holster, and it conceals better than I thought it would.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    The mission drives the gear train is what some angry donkey told me, once upon a time. If autopistols don't work for you because of physical limitations, then the opinion of some "expert" who doesn't walk a mile in your shoes is worthless. I think what we should first consider is a number of questions:

1) Why are you carrying? Job, personal protection, etc.
    2) Where do you live and what is the threat level, i.e. what is the most common scenario you envision having to employ a firearm to defend yourself/others?
    3) What carry method/type of dress do you need the gun to fit into: Can you go around looking like the 5.11 catalog ejaculated on you, or do you need to wear khakis and a button-down shirt at the office?
    4) With all of those considerations in mind, what revolver fits the bill?

Th nightguard might be good for carry, but probably is not optimal for practice.

I'm looking to replace my worn-out 642 because I need better sights and the gun is shot to heck. I'm thinking of getting a no lock M&P 340 to carry and a 640 Pro to practice with.

Arthritis is a nasty disease and when I was younger, I did stupid things and blew it off. Now that I've hit 50, those dumb things result in snap crackle and pop when I try to move.
    A lot of wisdom in that post. Thanks pal.

Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Have you ever found an IWB or AIWB holster for the 327 that is remotely comfortable? I notice you have it in a walker bag. I assume that's for a reason.
    No. I have always used it in fanny packs and similar or under the leg car carry. I have a kydex sleeve for it. I am trying to get a lightweight kydex and nylon shoulder rig made for it right now. I also have a performance center 627 snub that carries great in a Sparks PMK.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 07-08-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

As an anachronistic weirdo who sometimes carries a revolver, even though I can functionally work semi-autos, you will not see judgement from me.

A 386 would be a fine choice. If your hands are particularly bad/sensitive, I wouldn’t argue with 7 rounds of 148-grain wadcutter if I needed to. Beats a sharp stick any day. Gold Dot Short Barrel in .357 if the recoil can be handled or .38 Special if not, would be my ammo choice. Alternatively, the .38 Special HSTs with Hydrashoks as the reloads (because the HST is loaded flush like a WC). This second option is what I’ve been doing in my Colt Cobra lately. I like the way the HST shoots and I can currently handle shooting it.

RE: Reloads, the one thing to consider about the tuff products strips is they come in flavors that hold up to 10 rounds. They may allow you to gain additional control with a longer length without bullets loaded. You’ll lose some of the concealment factor, but gain the ability to use them without dropping them.

I'm 35, healthy, still deadlifting 405 for 10reps and I choose to carry a revolver.

I'm in some sketchy cities occasionally so I might grab an extra speedloader and throw a speed strip in my back pocket. Yeah, reloads are slower.

I just don't think there's much I'll face I can't solve with a 6 shot k frame.

Right now it's my 2.75" m66 but I'll still carry a 4" m64 or m19 on occasion.

If you like aiwb then look into jmcustom. I chill at home with it no problamo.

I can empathize

My dad got so weak that he couldn't rack the slide on a 1911 full-size. I have an uncle that has been battling arthritis for at least the last 35 years. He has to use two hands to pick up a glass of sweet tea. And his hands/knuckles look so debilitated.

A S&W j-frame can be a handful for someone with good dexterity. If you go to one, perhaps a hammer-fired ( for cocking)J with grips large enough to get as good a grip as you can. I also thought of the S&W Shield .380 that is claimed to be easier to rack the slide. Whatever decision you make has to fit your situation. I wish you the best and hope you can decided on a firearm that fits your needs.

And the Winchester 38B 130 grain +P is the load I shoot in my j-frame. A wadcutter load may serve as a reduced recoil round to consider
    Last edited by JAH 3rd; 07-08-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I think it was in the snubby podcast where DB mentioned a "u-shaped" utility curve for the revolver? They excel at the "small compact gun" niche, and the "big magnum gun niche."

That's sort of exactly where I'm at.

If I turn right at the bottom of our driveway, we're heading into a urban, suburban environment. If I'm carrying a gun, it's typically my 638 in a pocket holster. The gun is loaded with wadcutters, with a speed loader of Gold Dot short barrel in the same pocket.

If I turn left, I'm headed into the National Forest a mile a way, for woods bumming, animal tracking or hunting. There I carry a 4" GP100. Carry load has been the 158-grain XTP, although it's likely to change to the American Eagle 158 grain JSP, so it can do double duty with the Marlin 1894c I just bought.

I'm really satisfied with both of these choices. The snubby podcast explains quite well why I think the J-frame is enough, and I won't retread that ground here.

These days, I rarely carry a belt gun concealed. When I do, it's typically on one of our family road and camping trips, where I bring the Glock 19, because it's a little more gun than the J-frame, and my wife can shoot it. Lately, I've been experimenting with carrying the GP100 in a Simply Rugged IWB holster, and it conceals better than I thought it would.
    Are the .357 XTP's failing at carbine velocities?
    I don't have a .357 carbine but regularly use a .44, the XTP's do well out of both 4" and 18".
    I know the cheap .44 mag WWB just slays out of a 18" barrel so I have no problem with cheap ammo that works, just curious.

Site Supporter
    Although I do not currently carry a revolver as a primary ore backup gun, I did carry one for a period of a few years when I first started carrying a gun. In my case it was either a Colt Detective Special or a Dan Wesson 2 1/2 inch .357 magnum.

I never found a good way to conceal the Dan Wesson other than a shoulder holster, primarily due to lack of holster availability and lack of grip options.

If I was wearing a jacket, I would carry a pair of speedloaders for the Detective Special in a jacket pocket. If I was wearing a shoulder holster, I found a double dump pouch to be more comfortable under my offside arm than a double speedloader pouch. A Bianchi speed strip fit inside each dump pouch, with 6 rounds of ammo. On my belt, I found that a pair of vertical Dillon speed strip pouches concealed better than any speedloader pouch I was able to find before I stopped carrying a revolver.

My biggest reason for switching was the terrible front sight, and lack of good options for improving that situation. Capacity, reload speed, and stopping power were less of a concern to me. I think Dave T's choices will make better sighting options available, even if those options take the form of a Crimson Trace Lasergrip.

I have instructed or shot with multiple shooters with hand or wrist issues. Two of those shooters found that the recoil of a semiauto was uncomfortable, but had no problem with the recoil of a revolver. In one case, a female shooter used both index fingers at the same time on the trigger to accomplish a DA trigger pull.

My father, who was my initial instructor and who carried a gun for a time due to actual threats made against him, never trusted semiautos.

At a S&W event at a shooting range many years ago, I found myself unhappy with the trigger pulls of numerous semiautos that I tried, and my targets reflected that dissatisfaction. The last gun I shot was a Performance Center L-frame .357 with a 3 inch barrel, 7 shot cylinder, Hogue Bantam grips, a cylinder finished in Black T, and the remainder of the gun finished in Green T. Shooting double action with 2 hands, I emptied the cylinder into a fist-sized group at 50 feet, slightly to the right of my point of aim. I definitely left the range that day rethinking my carry choice.

I see nothing wrong with using a revolver as a primary weapon. I worry significantly less about which gun someone carries, and significantly more about actually carrying a gun and being able to use it well.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Are the .357 XTP's failing at carbine velocities?
    I don't have a .357 carbine but regularly use a .44, the XTP's do well out of both 4" and 18".
    I know the cheap .44 mag WWB just slays out of a 18" barrel so I have no problem with cheap ammo that works, just curious.
    Hornady makes two versions of the .357, 158 grain XTP. According to the 9th edition of the Hornady loading manual, the top of the velocity window for the hollow point version is 1400 fps. They should be stepping out of the 1894c at about 1700fps or so, and hobbyist gel testing suggests they don't hold together too well at that speed. The flat point version is good up to 1800fps.

The 240 grain .44 XTP has a top speed of 2200 FPS. It's probably leaving your rifle in the 1700 to 1800 Fps range. I've used them out of a muzzleloader with a sabot at 1900 to 2000 fps and they worked great.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List