Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Revolver as Primary

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I've thought about that one too, based on exactly the video to which you linked.

The tail is wagging the dog in a way. I have about 1K rounds of LSWC loaded up, and in the revolver their POA/POI is close enough to the same to American Eagle 158 grain JSP that I can swap from practice loads to carry loads without issue. We'll see if that follows through with the rifle.

When I get low on practice ammo, I might consider swapping everything wholesale over to 180 grain loads, assuming they are close enough in POA/POI.
    My next order from rimrock will include some 170gr Keith swc's. I'm pretty deep in 158s as well but kinda want to experiment. I think the performance of the Remington warrants a box to see were POA/poi is at least for me. Especially if I can reload 170s to a similar poi.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    My next order from rimrock will include some 170gr Keith swc's. I'm pretty deep in 158s as well but kinda want to experiment. I think the performance of the Remington warrants a box to see were POA/poi is at least for me. Especially if I can reload 170s to a similar poi.
    Get a couple of sample bullets and verify the seating depth. Some Keith designs can be too long to work in some guns. I know for a fact that they stick out the front of a S&W Model 28 cylinder. I've also had trouble getting a 240 true Keith to cycle through a Marlin lever gun.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Get a couple of sample bullets and verify the seating depth. Some Keith designs can be too long to work in some guns. I know for a fact that they stick out the front of a S&W Model 28 cylinder. I've also had trouble getting a 240 true Keith to cycle through a Marlin lever gun.

Okie John
    Thanks, good advice. I've actually gotten a few mixed in with my orders over the last year.

The Lyman/Keith bullets work OK in the 19s, but the N frame Smith 357 cylinders are short for them, they have to be seated deep to work. They are fine in 38 spl cases.

The Lyman/Keith 44 bullets, the 429421 I believe, doesnt cycle in a Browning 92 without some action work, but works perfectly in 44 spl cases. They have too much bullet sticking out of the case. They work fine in S&W and other 44 mag cylinders in mag cases. The original Keith bullet should run 245-250 gr.
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-12-2019 at 09:36 AM.

My experience holds true to what Malamute is saying in the post above. Rugers will function with the 170grain Keiths. That holds true for the BH, GP and in 357 SPs. 170 Keith is the most accurate 38 bullet I have ever used in 52 years of loading 38/357 ammo.

Site Supporter
    LOL - this thing has certainly jumped off the rails. Well to play along, I used to load the Keith 168g SWC in 38 Special cases over 10.5g of 2400, lit by a standard pistol primer. Shot a bunch of them in an Old Model Blackhawk. After the academy I loaded the same bullet deep in Magnum cases because of the shorter cylinder of my M28-2. The powder charge was something like 12.5g of 2400. Can't remember for sure now, some 46 years later. (smile)

Dave

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Retired, late 50’s, no health/hand strength issues. Really like my G17, but truth be told, it spends most of its time in the safe. I own three J frames. They have become my EDC. Usually pocket carry with two speed strips. My carry loads are a grab bag of whatever is remaining of my diminishing pile of old agency issue .38 ammo. Currently, I’m working my way thru Winchester 125 grain JHP. Must be at least 25 years old looking at the boxes.
    You sound like me. I am working through my last small handful of Winchester 158 grain LHP +P from the late '80s, our last revolver issue load. I did snag a case of the Remington version last fall which should last me for the rest of my carrying days.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    You sound like me. I am working through my last small handful of Winchester 158 grain LHP +P from the late '80s, our last revolver issue load. I did snag a case of the Remington version last fall which should last me for the rest of my carrying days.
    That is what I used when I carried a revolver. If I were to strap on a revolver today, that is the ammo I have for it.

User Tag List