Thread: IHelp in selecting 12 Gauge Ammo

Help in selecting 12 Gauge Ammo

My ammo will be shoot out of a Beretta 1301 for protecting my home! I am bettween 2 -12 Ga. ammo's
    (1) Federal 12 Ga. 2.75" -LE 13200 Low recoil-1145 fps with flite control shot wad
    OR
    (2) Federal 12 Ga. 2.75 -LE 12700 full power- 1325fps with flite control shot wad
    Both ammo's are 00 Buck Shot

Doe's an extra 180 fps matter?

Thank-You for your time
    Semper Fi!
    Last edited by veteran-USMC; 07-08-2019 at 11:45 AM. Reason: letter added

For home defense, likely not. Pattern both out of your gun and see if you note any difference. I personally use Hornady Black 8 pellet with the Versa-tite wad. Only because Federal 8-pellet with the FLITECONTROL wad doesn’t pattern well out of my SBS with its fixed modified choke. Choose an 8 pellet load to minimize pellet deformation and prevent flyers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    For home defense, likely not. Pattern both out of your gun and see if you note any difference. I personally use Hornady Black 8 pellet with the Versa-tite wad. Only because Federal 8-pellet with the FLITECONTROL wad doesn’t pattern well out of my SBS with its fixed modified choke. Choose an 8 pellet load to minimize pellet deformation and prevent flyers.

What patterns best and runs the gun the best are the questions to ask.

I am a wuss and would do better with low recoil weighting in at 145, if the problem involves vehicles I would man up for the full power. I think recently a forum member said something similar about slugs - low recoil vs full power.

help with 12 gauge ammo

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Thank-You for your reply! Going to buy some 8 pellet 12 Ga. ammo and try shooting this ammo at our range. Take care & Semper Fi!
    USMC...helping enemies of America die for their countries since....1775 !

help with 12 Gauge ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    What patterns best and runs the gun the best are the questions to ask.

I am a wuss and would do better with low recoil weighting in at 145, if the problem involves vehicles I would man up for the full power. I think recently a forum member said something similar about slugs - low recoil vs full power.
    Thanks for the info! No cars will be harmed in this testing1

A lot of semi's run much better on full power ammo and the action cycling absorbs the extra recoil.
    My Benelli M4 runs best with full power ammo and the weight and gas system make it easy to shoot.
    My 1301 was the same.
    Last edited by JodyH; 07-08-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

help with 12 gauge ammo

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    A lot of semi's run much better on full power ammo and the action cycling absorbs the extra recoil.
    My Benelli M4 runs best with full power ammo and the weight and gas system make it easy to shoot.
    My 1301 was the same.
    Thanks for your information! My 1301 Berretta shotgun is semi-auto!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    My 1301 was the same.
    I don’t think there’s anyone on this forum that has had any issues running quality (Federal LE) reduced recoil ammo through their 1301. I certainly haven’t.

The Federal LE reduced recoil 00 9-pellet load will function in semi autos that the 8-pellet offering will not. Only one way to find out.

User Tag List