Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 328: Dot Torture

Dot Torture tells me, loud and clear, that I suck with my weak hand.

I should do some left hand only range sessions....
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Getting ready for GSSF match that my dad talked me into. Started out the day with Dot Torture cold

Glock 17.5
    Safariland ALS open

Distance 3 Yards
    Score 41/50

Observations

Good gosh that was terrible. Didn’t put a single round in the circle weak hand only. SHO wasn’t much better. The sad part is a feel like my trigger control with Glocks is better. But now it’s turned into pretty bad anticipation. Still lots of shots left too.

Name:  AF678066-16E7-4B64-A8A5-02AAC004A07E.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  38.6 KB
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

3 yards cold
    P365xl. No holster yet so shot from low ready and did tabletop reloads. First 50 rounds out of the gun.
    Score: 50?
    Dot#3 has one shot where the grease ring cut the black. Not 100% sure it should count, so it might be a 49

Name:  IMG_1896.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1897.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  30.0 KB

Hammertime
    Two examples:

At 5 yards, Beretta 21A Bobcat .22. 33/50

Maybe my worst performance ever. Small gun. Heavy gritty trigger, terrible sights, but I still didn’t do the work.

7 yards, P30 4.1 LEM, 50/50:

One of my beat performances ever. Big gun, light, single trigger type, excellent sights.

Sometimes equipment matters.

G19.4 #2 w/TLR-7 - no holster (range restriction)

3 yds

Fail

I REALLY need to have a SHO/WHO day where I really work that technique. I took a CDR handgun class where we worked on freestyle technique and improving performance. While my shooting at speed has never been better, it would seem what I’ve learned is somewhat in conflict with one-handed shooting. I THINK it might have to do with: in freestyle I’m much better off using less finger on the trigger, but one handed I’m much better off using more finger on the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    G19.4 #2 w/TLR-7 - no holster (range restriction)

3 yds

Fail

I REALLY need to have a SHO/WHO day where I really work that technique. I took a CDR handgun class where we worked on freestyle technique and improving performance. While my shooting at speed has never been better, it would seem what I’ve learned is somewhat in conflict with one-handed shooting. I THINK it might have to do with: in freestyle I’m much better off using less finger on the trigger, but one handed I’m much better off using more finger on the trigger.
    Are you canting the gun for weak hand shooting? I’ve had similar results and they seem to be related to snatching the shot. I also think I may need to lighten up my grip a little when shooting one handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    Are you canting the gun for weak hand shooting? I’ve had similar results and they seem to be related to snatching the shot. I also think I may need to lighten up my grip a little when shooting one handed.
    No, I do not cant the gun while shooting one handed.

No, I do not cant the gun while shooting one handed.
    Have you tried? It might allow more of a locked wrist. (Assuming you’re not cross dominant.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    Have you tried? It might allow more of a locked wrist. (Assuming you’re not cross dominant.)
    I have tried, actually. And I’m very cross dominant (right handed, left eyed). The cant of the gun isn’t what’s causing me to shank those rounds all over the place. I was trying to replicate how much finger I was using on the trigger while shooting freestyle when shooting one handed, which is generally less finger. Doing some dryfire here yesterday and today, I’ve got a lot more stability shooting one handed when I use more finger on the trigger.

I have relatively short fingers. Shooting freestyle with a G17/19, I probably use around the last 1/3 of my finger tip. Shooting one handed with what feels like more stability, I’m probably using the last 1/3 of my finger before the joint that connects my 3rd finger bone and 2nd finger bone, or just before the “power crease” if you will.

I have tried, actually. And I’m very cross dominant (right handed, left eyed). The cant of the gun isn’t what’s causing me to shank those rounds all over the place. I was trying to replicate how much finger I was using on the trigger while shooting freestyle when shooting one handed, which is generally less finger. Doing some dryfire here yesterday and today, I’ve got a lot more stability shooting one handed when I use more finger on the trigger.

I have relatively short fingers. Shooting freestyle with a G17/19, I probably use around the last 1/3 of my finger tip. Shooting one handed with what feels like more stability, I’m probably using the last 1/3 of my finger before the joint that connects my 3rd finger bone and 2nd finger bone, or just before the “power crease” if you will.
    I was wondering because I'm not cross-dominant, and cant the gun to keep it in front of my dominant eye -- but when I do that, I notice that either snatching the shot or not using enough finger will push the shots low right as you experienced.

I've definitely noticed the "use enough finger" issue when shooting a revolver strong hand only. It's easily masked when shooting freestyle.

User Tag List